OT: - Best of the Best: Horse Racing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best of the Best: Horse Racing

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just another thought - it is actually a little sad to me that the great three year olds have become so valuable that they get retired to stud and we do not see them as mature athletes. It is as if we retired Usain Bolt after his first WR, or Sue and Diana after their college careers.

Your post brought back the memory of the great gelding, John Henry. His amazing career is outlined here: John Henry - Horse

In summary: " In a career that spanned 1977 to 1984, the gallant gelding raced 83 times and developed from a claimer into an immensely popular two-time Horse of the Year. He won 17 Grade 1 stakes during eight years of racing that saw him rise from a $1,100 yearling purchase to a horse that won 39 races and set the sport’s all-time earnings record of $6,597,947 - every penny of it before the introduction of the Breeders’ Cup and its million-dollar purses. " John Henry: The People’s Champion

At the age of 9 he won the Arlington Million. He did not come into his own until he was 5 I think, but then he pretty much just won and won.

Reaction Score
The wife and I make a pilgrimage to Arlington Park once a year - Such a beautiful race course - Lots of wonderful memories - The announcer saying " here they come spinning out of the turn" was his calling card. I was fond of many horses but Kelso was my all time favorite

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The wife and I make a pilgrimage to Arlington Park once a year - Such a beautiful race course - Lots of wonderful memories - The announcer saying " here they come spinning out of the turn" was his calling card. I was fond of many horses but Kelso was my all time favorite

Another Iron Horse Kelso. I like your taste in horses @CPD016 5 time Horse of the Year:

Reaction Score
No horse beats Secretariat when he's at his best. He's better than Cigar. But he did lose 3 times in one year. I brought up Cigar because his streak is forgotten, he didn't lose for almost 2 years. He beat all the best horses in the world for 16 straight. East coast, west coast. mid-west, Middle East. One measure for being a great race horse is winning all the time.
Secretariat was no where near 100% when Jerkins beat him.

Loved Kelso
Loved Forego
Loved Slew
Dr. Fager prolific at stud too
Sham would not have posted those times if he wasn't chasing

Secretariat obliterated the speed on the tighter turns at Pimlico
He obliterated Belmont at distance
Oblivious to weight

There's Secretariat, then everybody else

(nice hearing Chicks voice on the Preakness clip posted)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, I thought I'd throw this one in under "best of the best": 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird. They made a movie off of his seemingly improbable win. He got mugged coming out of the gate and stayed far back for much of the race, yet snuck through at the rail and took it by maybe 8 lengths. Finished 2d and 3rd in the other triple crown races. The out of towners from New Mexico got to give racing blue bloods some com- uppance. The funny thing was the official announcer was so focused on the favorites he didn't acknowledge Mine That Bird was in the race until he was 4-5 lengths in front!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, I thought I'd throw this one in under "best of the best": 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird. They made a movie off of his seemingly improbable win. He got mugged coming out of the gate and stayed far back for much of the race, yet snuck through at the rail and took it by maybe 8 lengths. Finished 2d and 3rd in the other triple crown races. The out of towners from New Mexico got to give racing blue bloods some com- uppance. The funny thing was the official announcer was so focused on the favorites he didn't acknowledge Mine That Bird was in the race until he was 4-5 lengths in front!!

What an incredible ride that was and like Secretariat in the Preakness the charge through the pack was incredible just blowing past the other horses from being nowhere during the first half of the race - his split for the second half must be close to record time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What an incredible ride that was and like Secretariat in the Preakness the charge through the pack was incredible just blowing past the other horses from being nowhere during the first half of the race - his split for the second half must be close to record time.

I wonder if the wet track had the field wide? Nobody took the rail. Stunning result and I loved Calvin's joy after the race. I did not notice the total miss by the Official Call guy at the time, but it on tape is flat out ridiculous that he did not mention Mine That Bird until he had the race put away. Never seen anything like it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom