Best Dunker in UConn History? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Dunker in UConn History?

Best UConn Dunker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even though Stanley had a lot of good dunks, i have to give a small edge to Rudy. Rudy is more athletic and could jump out of the gym if he wanted.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Rudy was the best. He was more artistic that Sticks and just as athletic (jumping-wise)

Reaction Score
LYMAN DEPRIEST....great role player in the late 80's

From this list....Kevin Freeman....Saw him put on a show at Midnight madness. In games, he was doing all the dirty work.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Sticks vs Rudy .... I would say Robinson was better at the alley-oop dunks, but Rudy was better attacking the basket with creative dunks - he was able to do that due to his dribbling ability.

Reaction Score
Rudy. Hands down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
it is shocking to me that sticks is beating rudy comfortably in the poll (nothing against sticks, but wtf). can stan even go off of one foot?

Reaction Score
No Ray Allen? He had some sick dunks at UConn and early in the NBA, before he became a jump shooter.

Reaction Score
This is just for fun, but I wanna know what people think. Let me know if I forget someone.
Best 2 individuals dunks, imho, were Edmund Saunders and Stanley Robinson. Saunders was a running full tilt slam where he almost seemed horizontal to the floor, and about 10' off of it. The other was Sticks foulshot putback where he grabbed a rebound, one-handed, and seemed to rise another foot off the floor and windmilled it back into the basket. And he didn't have the inside position.

Reaction Score
Was that the one which appeared on ESPN as #1 in the early season's of Top 10??
Yes, that was it. I think Norman was a freshman then and not a starter. The reason I liked it so much was the "heat of the moment". We had struggled so hard in that game and never had the lead until Norman threw it down. Villanova was a huge problem for us then. They were out-recruiting us in the state of Connecticut and we rarely beat them.

Reaction Score
Tony Robertson!!!!!!!
What I remember about Tony Hanson was not the dunks but his ability to score under the basket. He was listed as a guard and was 6' 4" and he played under the basket a lot and no one could stop him there.

S

storrsbred1

Billy Gray for those old enough to remember. Fred Shabel (I think he was the coach when Gray was at UConn) would have the team manager get a ladder and put a quarter on top of the backboard during practice and Gray would pick it off. One of the highest flyers ever.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
As of right now, obviously Gay gets the nod.

But better dunks during a UConn career, has to be Sticks. He had so many ridiculous follow-ups and alley oops. The alley-oop against Texas in '09 sealed it. Being in that crowd and witnessing that was just incredible.

Reaction Score
I liked Rudy for his creativity and Sticks for his sheer power.

TRob, Sticks and Saunders were the most memorable for me.

(Saunders' dunk in the Arizona game - 3:25 mark in the video)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I liked Rudy for his creativity and Sticks for his sheer power.

TRob, Sticks and Saunders were the most memorable for me.

(Saunders' dunk in the Arizona game - 3:25 mark in the video)

The Arizona dunk was so swag.

Reaction Score
Billy Gray for those old enough to remember. Fred Shabel (I think he was the coach when Gray was at UConn) would have the team manager get a ladder and put a quarter on top of the backboard during practice and Gray would pick it off. One of the highest flyers ever.
I remember Fred Shabel but not Billy Gray. Fred coached the team from 1964 to 1967. Uconn went to the Elite Eight in 1964 but were crushed by Duke (Shabel's former team). Back then, freshmen could not play on the varsity but Fred's freshman class might have been better than the '64 team that lost to Duke. In 1965 they went 23-3 but were eliminated by a very good St. Joseph's team in the NCAA tournament. Fred left after 1967 and went on to be athletic director at another school. There was a Bill Gray listed on the 1967 roster but it appears that it was the only year he played?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom