Best Defensive UConn team since JC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Defensive UConn team since JC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure but offensively it's probably the most challenged (via that kenpom chart above). One thing pops out is how insanely well calhouns teams hit the offensive glass.

i was thinking about this before-memphis gave up yesterday-but, the offense KO "runs" seems to rely a ton on guys making reads in the play. I dont think he actually wants the guards doing their passing around/fill the spot on the perimeter as often as they do, but they often refuse to get the ball into the post. Maybe there just isnt an offense, but with this team capable of defending better than any other in america (while flying completely under the rader) I really think that they could be devestating offensively if they get in a groove. With adams taking the ball more we should see him get more comfortable, which will hopefully help gibbs focus on knocking in 3's at his normal rate. Miller seems to be finding his stride as well. Hamilton should be able to get into the paint more with teams having to respect brimah's dunks, which will open up more shots for calhoun/gibbs/purvis.

i could be completely wrong but i see these guys starting to get more easy buckets in transition bc of the D while also finding more comfort on O with each other and surprising a lot of people. No one is going to boat race us. no one. and that means that we have a shot in every game by default. We shoot FT's very well, and i suspect we will start hitting 3's at a bit better clip. i do not like how often we foul (discounting those ridiculous ref's yesterday there is too much reaching in by everyone), but i am cautiously optimistic, especially if we can avoid UNC/Maryland in march.

Reaction Score
Yep,
For our younger members, I would encourage you to watch some of the games from the dream season, especially the ones with Syracuse (Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, etc.), Georgetown (Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo), and BET games. I had forgotten just how amazing that year was. Henefeld was the glue, but the whole team played defense like their life depended on it. Rod Sellers could hardly get off the ground with a knee injury and still played. We had a frontline of 6'6", 6'7", and 6'5" playing against huge teams (Clemson, G-Town, Syracuse) and they beat those teams. That team played some great basketball.
Burrell had tons of steals, too (and later was tasked with guarding Jordan when the Hornets made the playoffs). Sellers did quite the job the following season when UConn faced Shaq. Sellers held him within a point of his average in a game LSU needed him. Henefeld was amazing (though I don't consider him to really be a freshman. Wasn't he like 24?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Yep,

Burrell had tons of steals, too (and later was tasked with guarding Jordan when the Hornets made the playoffs). Sellers did quite the job the following season when UConn faced Shaq. Sellers held him within a point of his average in a game LSU needed him. Henefeld was amazing (though I don't consider him to really be a freshman. Wasn't he like 24?

Sellers was a tough guy. He played the last few games with a large knee brace and had incidents where his knee gave out and he had to leave the game. Only to reappear for the next game to do what he could. Grit and pluck and extra large cojones.

I forget how old Henefeld was (I would guess 22), but he seemed like a very mature 25 at least. On that team, Chris Smith and Scott Burrell were talented defenders, but Henefeld had twice the steals had by either of those two. Oh, to have had him for another year.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When you think of the size and quality of the players Sellers went up against, it is amazing what he accomplished as an undersized guard.

Reaction Score

Came upon this video of the 2009 team and had to remind myself that they were within 3 points of Michigan state with a minute to go. The announcers couldn't have cared less.

The bummer was we stayed with a totally frenetic, "chicken with head cut off" press after that dunk as if we were still down by 8 or so, and gave them an uncontested layup with the floor not balanced. We could have played that possession straight up - or at least pressed with some organization. We had it down to a one possession game with more than a minute left.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
What is just silly is that Henefeld had as many steals as Bazz & Boatshow.... combined.
Wow that is silly - it wasn't necessarily the steals but just the relentless on ball pressure that they applied, especially in the tournament run was outstanding. They would take teams completely out of their half court sets.

Reaction Score
The 2013-14 team, in the tournament, particularly in the Elite 8, played perhaps the best stretch of defense of any UConn team.

Boatright, especially, and Napier were completely locked in. The team's perimeter defense was so good that the other teams' guards couldn't get near the paint. Often times, UConn's guards have pressured the perimeter with the intent of funneling drivers into our shot-blockers. But our guards were funneling their guards backwards. Scottie Wilbekin probably still has nightmares about 2014.

That team had its ups and downs and I wouldn't rank it as the best defensive team in UConn history, but for that stretch of games, wow.

The thing i remember most about that tourney were the deers in the headlights that were the harrison twins. Boat and Bazz had those guys turning the ball over when they werent even near them. Incredible performance.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
The thing i remember most about that tourney were the deers in the headlights that were the harrison twins. Boat and Bazz had those guys turning the ball over when they werent even near them. Incredible performance.
Those big guards couldn't handle our quickness, especially when we got up under them. Also Trice for MSU could barely get the ball over half court vs Boat and when he did he was so flustered he couldn't possible run their offense effectively. Bazz and Boat absolutely abused Trice and Appling in that game

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Boat's defense during the NCAA's in 2014 was a thing of beauty. He had that almost scary super-intense focus, like Ricky Moore in '99.

Reaction Score
Those big guards couldn't handle our quickness, especially when we got up under them. Also Trice for MSU could barely get the ball over half court vs Boat and when he did he was so flustered he couldn't possible run their offense effectively. Bazz and Boat absolutely abused Trice and Appling in that game
Absolutely! I didnt mention it but they terrorized the two MSU guards too but i just cant get what they did the Harrisons out of my head. Before the game all the "experts" were going on about their size advantage and when the ball got tipped that sh@t went out the window pretty quick and the look on the face of the twins was absolutely priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom