Best Defensive team in UConn history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Defensive team in UConn history

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hasheem was a very good defender, but he was not the same class as okafor. Okafor was amazing.

Hasheem could be pick and rolled even as a junior

Reaction Score
Henefeld, Depreist, Burrell, I think they still #1 but this team is more of a swarm defense and just never leave you alone. That defense just had a way knowing where the ball was going to be. Let see what we can do with FLorida this time with us playing so well.
Depriest didn't get huge minutes, Henefeld was a little slow and got beat off the dribble but played good position defense, and Burrell was the best athlete ever to play at UConn.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
In '04, we had Emeka, Boone, Armstrong plus Taliek. I also think Denham Brown was a solid defender. In '11, Giffey and 'Bazz played significant minutes and were solid defenders, but are better now. Kemba was exceptional that year as well and Scoe was anchoring the front line on D with Oriaki and Okwandu coming off the bench. This year, Bazz and Giffey are 3 years more experienced, Boatright was exceptional in the Michigan State game and really all year. Kromah has been lock down and creates a lot of turnovers and Brimah has been really effective at creating an inside shot blocking presence What has really impressed me the most though is Daniel's and Nolan's improvement on D. They are a huge part of why we're in the final four. They shut down the middle against Michigan State and limited Dawson and Payne, who were scoring in bunches throughout the tournament. Bottom line - UConn's D was always good under Calhoun and he picked the right coach to carry on the tradition!

Reaction Score
The big distinction is "defense played at the team's peak defensive form" and over the course of the whole season. Both this year and '11, UConn has cranked up the defense in the postseason to levels not seen during the respective regular seasons and into the pantheons of great defensive UConn teams. But that wasn't really true during the entirety of either season.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), almost nobody has mentioned the '09 UConn defense, probably mostly because they didn't bring home the title. On KenPom (whose database starts in '03, so no '99 or '90 to compare to), the '09 defense is far and away the best defense UConn's had over the last 11 years. '09 UConn held teams to terrible shooting percentages and never, ever fouled, with Dyson picking people's pockets and Adrien holding down the boards. It was the culmination of the defensive system refined over the previous 6 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This defense is amazing. Maybe the best half court D we ever had. Not the best shot blocking by any stretch. Not the incredible, hectic transition D as in 1990. Different but Amazing. I couldn't believe how long we kept MSU from having a good offensive set.

Reaction Score
I mean, I watched 40 minutes of the 2011 Championship game and I'm not sure what you call it, but offense certainly didn't win that game!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 2009 defense had no weaknesses, I can agree with that.

The Iowa State game was a shootout. This team seems to just find a way to win. I don't know that it is great at anything other than free throe shooting.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we've had so many teams that were top ten in the nation in defensive FG% and blocking shots, it's impossible to call one of them the best

it's who we are, it's what we do

I'm just happy Kevin Oliver is keeping up with that tradition

Reaction Score
Nova, ISU, and MSU just all happened to really struggle and produce well below their yearly numbers against us. Unrelated to our defense though. Coincidence.

Post of the year. Nobody is giving us credit. Just where I like it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As good as they are playing D, I'd still put them behind 99, 04 and 11. The level of offense we've faced hasn't been stellar. Good, but not great. Those other 3 teams shut down some impressive offenses.

With that said, this team is playing D at a very high level. I'd still describe them as special. Considering the personnel on this team, the level of defense is quite impressive. Props to KO and his staff and props for the players for buying in, learning and playing their hearts out.

I noted a whole bunch of times in the chat how high their level of intensity was. I guess as far as intensity is concerned, meaning playing with a lot of energy and sustaining it, I'd put it up there with the 2011 team. That team really stepped up the D with good but not great defensive talent.

2004 had some exceptional defensive players (Emeka, Taliek, and others) and the 1999 team had Ricky, KFree, Jake and some other very good defensive players, and I'd be remiss to not mention the 1990 team that had DePriest, Hennefeld, Williams, Burrell, Sellers and some other players who played the best 2-2-1 press I've ever seen.
This is a very good history lesson for those who haven't been around for the full ride. Once again, take a deep breath and contemplate the gifts we fans have received.
The words beneath my avatar say everything about what I'm looking for when I watch. I've seen few mentions of the 8-18 turnover comparison on Sunday, but, yeah I'm way beyond happy and realize we need all this and more...one game at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom