Best baseball player ever? | The Boneyard

Best baseball player ever?

Reaction Score
I'm not a creature of the moment but it's feeling more and more like Shohei Ohtani might be the best baseball player we've ever seen. I never thought a player was capable of doing what he's doing before he came along. Baseball never really excites me but I just watched this guy singlehandedly destroy the White Sox in a series and it was must watch TV. It's like if Gerrit Cole and Barry Bonds were the same person...

Reaction Score
1. Ohtani
2. Trout
(Hmm what am I listing…The middle of the order for the Angels?)
3. Willie Mays

Nope. Best ever LOL
*Debatable of course

Reaction Score
At the very least, that was the best half season in the history of baseball. I don't even think thats debatable. 81 games, 29/60/67 with a .310/.396/.674 at the plate and 7-3 on the mound with a 3.02 ERA

Reaction Score
It’s Ruth, when I see Ohtani pounding beers smoking like a chimney and still playing at this level then it’s Ohtani. Oh yeah championships do kind of matter even though in baseball it’s a lot about luck. Ohtani is an absolute freak though.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He’s incredible. Can’t believe the Angels have stunk for years.

Also, my guy Acuna is on pace to do like 40 HR 70 steals … most exciting player in the other league.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don’t even like baseball, but I had this exact thought this morning.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What Ohtani has done is nothing short of incredible and (as Babe Ruth was never really both a pitcher and a full time position player) and unprecedented.

Don't be surprised if we end up seeing more of this down the road. Bobby Thigpen was the best pitcher on Mississippi St's national championship team in the mid 1980's and was also their best hitter (and center fielder when he wasn't pitching). That team also had future MLB all stars Will Clark, Rafael Palmeiro and Jeff Brantley. Once his college career ended the White Sox made him a full time pitcher. It is very common that in lower levels, the best pitcher is also one of the best hitters, it had always been the common belief that at some point they have to give up one for the benefit of the other and as most pitchers do not get at bats in minor league ball (universal DH for decades) they cannot maintain their skills as a batter.

Something similar happened about four decades ago. It had been common belief that being a middle infielder was additionally taxing mentally and could impact a batters performance. Additionally, it was easier and quicker to advance through the minor leagues as an outfielder than it was as a middle infielder due to the shorter learning curve. Many hall of fame outfielders (Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Henry Aaron, Carl Yastrzemski among them) were moved from shortstop (second base in Aaron's case) to the outfield early on in the minor leagues on the belief that a) they would make it to the big leagues much quicker and b) they would be better hitters in the long run as outfielders. Ernie Banks was an exception but it wasn't until after Robin Yount's success (which took about five years in the majors before he was able to hit consistently for both average and power) that the gates were opened for players like Ripkin, Rodriguez, etc. Two thIrds (or more) of the shortstops from the mid 90's forward would have been moved to the outfield in low minor league ball if the common belief hadn't changed.

I imagine that by the end of this decade we will see a handful of pitchers who will also be every day players (even if it is as DH) and this number will grow in time.

That said, it may take decades before we see guy who will be both one of the top pitchers and one of the best power hitters in the game. He is something special.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He’s incredible. Can’t believe the Angels have stunk for years.

Also, my guy Acuna is on pace to do like 40 HR 70 steals … most exciting player in the other league.
Honestly baseball betting is amazing because guys like Acuna get steals every game and Ohtani hits homers every game while getting +150 and +250 odds for it.

If you put $100 on Ohtani to hit a HR every game in June you would’ve made $4,500.

Reaction Score
Honestly baseball betting is amazing because guys like Acuna get steals every game and Ohtani hits homers every game while getting +150 and +250 odds for it.

If you put $100 on Ohtani to hit a HR every game in June you would’ve made $4,500.
A little over $3K if it was +250 every game, you have to account for the $1400 you'd lose from all the games he didn't hit a HR

Reaction Score
To the Yankees right?
Nope

mets GIF

Reaction Score
What Ohtani has done is nothing short of incredible and (as Babe Ruth was never really both a pitcher and a full time position player) and unprecedented.

Don't be surprised if we end up seeing more of this down the road. Bobby Thigpen was the best pitcher on Mississippi St's national championship team in the mid 1980's and was also their best hitter (and center fielder when he wasn't pitching). That team also had future MLB all stars Will Clark, Rafael Palmeiro and Jeff Brantley. Once his college career ended the White Sox made him a full time pitcher. It is very common that in lower levels, the best pitcher is also one of the best hitters, it had always been the common belief that at some point they have to give up one for the benefit of the other and as most pitchers do not get at bats in minor league ball (universal DH for decades) they cannot maintain their skills as a batter.

Something similar happened about four decades ago. It had been common belief that being a middle infielder was additionally taxing mentally and could impact a batters performance. Additionally, it was easier and quicker to advance through the minor leagues as an outfielder than it was as a middle infielder due to the shorter learning curve. Many hall of fame outfielders (Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Henry Aaron, Carl Yastrzemski among them) were moved from shortstop (second base in Aaron's case) to the outfield early on in the minor leagues on the belief that a) they would make it to the big leagues much quicker and b) they would be better hitters in the long run as outfielders. Ernie Banks was an exception but it wasn't until after Robin Yount's success (which took about five years in the majors before he was able to hit consistently for both average and power) that the gates were opened for players like Ripkin, Rodriguez, etc. Two thIrds (or more) of the shortstops from the mid 90's forward would have been moved to the outfield in low minor league ball if the common belief hadn't changed.

I imagine that by the end of this decade we will see a handful of pitchers who will also be every day players (even if it is as DH) and this number will grow in time.

That said, it may take decades before we see guy who will be both one of the top pitchers and one of the best power hitters in the game. He is something special.
Had to pull this up. Thigpen wasn't Mississippi State's best hitter on their national championship team, he was their 4th best hitter. Will Clark was otherworldly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
O
I'm not a creature of the moment but it's feeling more and more like Shohei Ohtani might be the best baseball player we've ever seen. I never thought a player was capable of doing what he's doing before he came along. Baseball never really excites me but I just watched this guy singlehandedly destroy the White Sox in a series and it was must watch TV. It's like if Gerrit Cole and Barry Bonds were the same person...

Other than Babe Ruth. Maybe. It’s incredible to be a two way player in the modern game. Probably others have the talent, but teams and scouts don’t even let them try.

Reaction Score
Nope

mets GIF
Haha not to worry Hal would offer Ohtani 100 mill less then his asking price, then have Cashman go dumpster dive to go after some guy with power who bats .200 to play out of position in the outfield, all to try and prove how much of a genius the analytics department is.

Reaction Score
Disappointed that a disfunctional franchise is wasting a generational talent….. goes to the Mets.
They would waste him too, but I'm a Mets fan so it would be fun to watch them waste him. He's never coming though

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Had to pull this up. Thigpen wasn't Mississippi State's best hitter on their national championship team, he was their 4th best hitter. Will Clark was otherworldly.
I'll gladly concede the detail (as to being the best hitter on the team) but will add that while Clark may have in fact been a better hitter and I don't doubt that Clark (along with Palmeiro) likely had ridiculous batting averages, neither (at least in college) had a whole lot of power while Thigpen was a power hitter and was also a good (I'll wager over .300) contact hitter.

I just tried a google search for college stats and only found professional baseball stats and college basketball stats for a Thigpen who played for Louisiana Lafayette (obviously a different guy).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Disappointed that a disfunctional franchise is wasting a generational talent….. goes to the Mets.

Wish you could double emoji a post. ^ That deserves a love and a laugh at the same time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was a joke when they gave the MVP to Judge over Ohtani much like Embiid over Jokic this year in the NBA. It was a media campaign by the NYC media for Judge.

Had Ohtani grown up in America this never happens. Someone would have lushed towards hitter or pitcher by the middle of his time on high school.

Reaction Score
I'll gladly concede the detail (as to being the best hitter on the team) but will add that while Clark may have in fact been a better hitter and I don't doubt that Clark (along with Palmeiro) likely had ridiculous batting averages, neither (at least in college) had a whole lot of power while Thigpen was a power hitter and was also a good (I'll wager over .300) contact hitter.

I just tried a google search for college stats and only found professional baseball stats and college basketball stats for a Thigpen who played for Louisiana Lafayette (obviously a different guy).
I never heard of that Mississippi State team so it piqued my curiosity, thanks for posting about them. That's just an insane college team. A college baseball team that always fascinated me is 1987 Seton Hall Big East champs. They were 16-2 in the Big East and 45-10 overall. Mo Vaughn, Craig Biggio, and John Valentin on the same team but their best player was Marteese Robinson who batted .529, 16 home runs, 90 rbi, 89 runs, 58 stolen bases in 55 games. He was the co-college baseball player of the year with Robin Ventura. The Astros GM Dana Brown was also on that Seton Hall team.

1985 Mississippi State Bulldogs - The Baseball Cube | Stats and Data

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It’s Ruth, when I see Ohtani pounding beers smoking like a chimney and still playing at this level then it’s Ohtani. Oh yeah championships do kind of matter even though in baseball it’s a lot about luck. Ohtani is an absolute freak though.
You could add, "When Ohtani hits more HRs than most other entire teams."

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It was a joke when they gave the MVP to Judge over Ohtani much like Embiid over Jokic this year in the NBA. It was a media campaign by the NYC media for Judge.

Had Ohtani grown up in America this never happens. Someone would have lushed towards hitter or pitcher by the middle of his time on high school.
Judge hit the most home runs in American League history and dragged his team into the postseason. Ohtani pitched and hit and couldn’t get his team to a .500 record. Judge also beat Ohtani in WAR, and Ohtani had the benefit of getting WAR points from both hitting and pitching…

Judge was clearly the most valuable player last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom