Best 6th man of all time for Uconn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best 6th man of all time for Uconn?

Reaction Score
I would think Craig Austrie. More so for the fact he always stepped into the starting lineup when Calhoun needed him. Marcus suspension, dyson/wiggins suspension, and the dyson injury.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Rash Jones is the first name that came to mind.

Yeah, can't forget he was gracious to move to the bench for the good of the team. Maybe the ultimate 6th man.

Yeah, I immediately thought of him, too, and that indelible image of him with the ball in his hands and the end of the '99 NC.

But imo the real story in the fact that Rashamel ended up being the 6th man is that, when Khalid came, JC broke the news to Ricky that it was between him and Rash in terms of who was losing his starting spot to Khalid, and Ricky immediately said something to the effect of "Well, that's too bad for Rash."

Reaction Score
6th man value doesn't always come in scoring outbursts.
I give you Edmund Saunders, who deserves consideration based on his 77-74 defensive contributions and his "Edzilla" terrorizing of Arizona's Loren Woods alone.

I think that other than the above play, the thing I liked the most about Edmund was that he went from "academic non-qualifier" as a freshman to staying in Storrs through the summer following his senior season, to earn his degree in Political Science.

Edmund was a super kid too. My brother and I met him once and he couldnt have been nicer to us or anyone else he came in contact with.

Reaction Score
Watching the videos reinforces just how good Chris Smith was.
You know if we had a competition for our 2 best guards over the years, I really believe Smitty could hold his own over anyone. Not saying he was the best but saying he's on the same platform as our other great guards.

Reaction Score
Man o man that 2006 team with Rash et al. still breaks my heart even more than 2009 when Dyson went down. Only Rudy averaged more than RA that year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Kromah was a nice asset on that 2014 Championship team. One thing about that team in 2014 was it was loaded with very solid shooters. Just look at our free throw shooting in the NCAA Tournament. We also had Napier, Giffey, Boatright, Daniels, and Kromah who were all threats to knock down threes.
Yes! And when Squid was asked why he didn't foul late in the game he said "because they don't miss"

Reaction Score
An all-time interview

Package that up and show it to all possible recruits. What he says about how much he loves his team...when you love playing with each other, that can overcome a sometimes slight gap in talent. Really. High basketball IQ and loving your team mates. It is huge IMO. Kids want to play on a team like that, at least a lot of them do. That. Is Uconn bball.

Reaction Score
People keep mentioning Rash, and he's a nice choice... But he wasn't even the 6th man on the 1999 team. That was Mouring who has not been mentioned yet. 7ppg off the bench and frequent dagger three's. Definitely deserves a mention.

I'm glad someone mentioned Brian Fair. He had such an interesting four years here. He was the 6th man his frosh, junior, and senior years and one of our leading scorers as a soph. He is the author of one of the truly WTF plays in UConn history with his beautiful header/through pass to Joey Brown for a game winning layup and had a ton of dagger 3's.

What's more interesting to me and I tried to verify this but was unable to, is that he killed it when JC was either ejected or sick. I remember multiple times where JC was out and Fair would drop 20+ off the bench with Howie in charge. I know Fair planned to transfer, but did not, and his minutes dwindled. I think he scored like 7-8 ppg in like 11 minutes off the bench one year as JC seemed to have lost faith in him.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-15_3-34-41.png

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think a 2002 Ben Gordon should be considered.
This was my pick. I think he averaged double figures off the bench on the elite 8 team. Obviously just a glimpse of what he would become.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom