Berube's Recruiting Class | The Boneyard

Berube's Recruiting Class

Reaction Score
No attack but what has she done so far that anyone would doubt her ability to coach or recruit at any level?
She would be on my short list upon Geno retiring. Very short.... ;)
Her present class is ranked 19th in the country.
Thank you for the post, and providing case in point. May our women and those at Princeton have nothing but a bright future!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The recruits are #43 Tabitha Amanze, a 6'4" forward from Blair Academy (Batouly, Miles, AEH, HSG, et al.), and #46 Madison St. Rose, a 5'10" guard from St. John Vianney, the #3 team in the nation. It will be interesting to see if Carla can also get elite talent from outside New Jersey.

Princeton is 17-4, with all the losses out of conference: a good URI team, Fordham, Seton Hall, and a ranked Texas team. They have wins over Villanova (with Siegrist) and a ranked Florida Gulf Coast squad. Their smallest MOV in the Ivy League is 12 over Yale.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, Princeton has great attraction for certain New Jersey high school players who are not of the UCONN level but can still be very good Division 1 athletes. There is enough talent here every year for her to grab one or two starter quality players. If, as you say, she can pick up some solid players from other states, she can have ongoing success in and out of the conference. Vianney is one of the elite and marquee New Jersey programs and Blair takes post graduates and is a national prep school and has had some great players there. Both teams have top flight coaches.

Reaction Score
No attack but what has she done so far that anyone would doubt her ability to coach or recruit at any level?

Thank you for the post, and providing case in point. May our women and those at Princeton have nothing but a bright future!
Nothing. The point is that it's very difficult to get the top players to an Ivy League school because of the lack of athletic scholarships. Not to mention the academic requirements. Plus the level of competition overall in the conference is not close to Top 25-30 programs or P5 conferences. IMO, Berube's coaching and recruiting abilities are not in question.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Carla is on my short list and only Carla to replace Geno. She is the only UCONN grad. or asst. coach with a stellar record.

Reaction Score
The lack of scholarships is a major handicap to creating a consistent ranked program. What Carla has done is amazing given those constraints. She can be "The" program in the Ivy for years, but remains at a disadvantage to a program like Stanford that can offer a special education and a free ride.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is some of those girls may want a scholarship someday, and be in a position to be a valuable transfer in the portal. Abby Myers come on down! Good player, Carla is her coach, knows the Uconn system, ready to fit in for a year as a 2/3 sub.

Reaction Score
I have been impressed not just at the talent Carla has signed but most of her recruits are proven talent from strong programs. One thing to project success; Carla's incoming classes have performed well under past pressure.

Reaction Score
Carla was also the coach of the 2017 under 17 USA national team with Paige, Azzi, Horston, Boston and Haley Jones starting. The team went 7-0 and I believe won all of their games by at least 30 points. When Geno retires Carla would be a great choice.

Reaction Score
Although Ivies don't have athletic scholarships per se, virtually no kids who meet their academic standards get turned away for financial reasons. And thanks to huge endowments, most graduate with little or no college debt. I doubt that you'll find any of Carla's kids working in the dining hall to pay their board.

Reaction Score
The lack of scholarships is a major handicap to creating a consistent ranked program. What Carla has done is amazing given those constraints. She can be "The" program in the Ivy for years, but remains at a disadvantage to a program like Stanford that can offer a special education and a free ride.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is some of those girls may want a scholarship someday, and be in a position to be a valuable transfer in the portal. Abby Myers come on down! Good player, Carla is her coach, knows the Uconn system, ready to fit in for a year as a 2/3 sub.
If you have the mind to make it academically at Princeton and Princeton wants you they will take care of you money wise. This no scholarship thing is basically a myth. Yes, some of it will be loans; but, at a post Princeton Degree income loans get paid off pretty quickly. (Full disclosure - my son went to Princeton. He wasn’t good enough to make the varsity soccer team but did play four years on the Princeton Club Soccer Team against the Rutgers Club, the Qunantico Marines Club and several others; had a great time and still found time for a job at school and Summers).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was clueless about all of this
iIt’s kind of like why do I love the Boneyard?
Let me count the ways……..:)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'd be pleased with either Carla or Shea. I just don't think Shea will be coming back if she succeeds to a reasonable level at Vandy.
Hard to say where her heart is. Nor Carla Not saying either Carla or Shea wouldn‘t be great choices, but UConn should be in the position of attracting high quality candidates among people who aren’t afraid of taking over from a legend. I think they should be wide open, but all things being equal, I’d give the edge to a program alum. All things aren’t always equal, though.

Reaction Score
Carla Berube has done a phenomenal job at Princeton & can clearly coach basketball at a high level, no doubt.

Having said that & taking nothing away from her, I think Carla's recruiting there benefits from the school's elite/high Ivy educational pedigree.

There are a finite number of quality recruits every year that value education as paramount while still playing D1 ball. The Stanford advantage East, so to speak, albeit non-rarified competition.

No disrespect to our beloved Uconn, but it doesn't hold the same appeal in this regard as Princeton, Stanford, Duke, etc.-- though obviously the platinum standard in pure basketball education, achievement, & development.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carla Berube has done a phenomenal job at Princeton & can clearly coach basketball at a high level, no doubt.

Having said that & taking nothing away from her, I think Carla's recruiting there benefits from the school's elite/high Ivy educational pedigree.

There are a finite number of quality recruits every year that value education as paramount while still playing D1 ball. The Stanford advantage East, so to speak, albeit non-rarified competition.

No disrespect to our beloved Uconn, but it doesn't hold the same appeal in this regard as Princeton, Stanford, Duke, etc.-- though obviously the platinum standard in pure basketball education, achievement, & development.
Yeah, but the pool of potential recruits is much smaller, and you have to compete with the likes of Duke and Stanford and (if education is paramount) the rest of the Ivies. The Ivies all compete with each other, Stanford really doesn't compete with any other school west of Evanston for the high talent/exceptional education pool.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the pool of potential recruits is much smaller, and you have to compete with the likes of Duke and Stanford and (if education is paramount) the rest of the Ivies. The Ivies all compete with each other, Stanford really doesn't compete with any other school west of Evanston for the high talent/exceptional education pool.
Agreed, mudcat. What I'm saying is that coaching is one thing but recruiting is another.

If Carla were to eventually succeed Geno at Uconn, she will have to recruit at the highest talent level without the help of exceptional pedigree academics.

Though certainly an accomplished, quality basketball coach, I don't think Tara VanDerveer would have enjoyed quite the same historical success without the Stanford name driving her recruiting yield all these years.

P.S.-- Princeton is right there with Harvard, Yale, & Stanford re: academic reputation/pedigree, so it trumps the rest of the Ivy's as well as the likes of Duke & other analogously well-regarded universities by academic reputation. So the fact that Carla Berube has proven she can coach gives her a clear leg-up on these other schools for recruits that put this criterion first, esp East of the Mississippi.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Either Carla or Shea would be good choices. Just for entertainment, how about for HC and AHC, DT and Sue. They could play good cop / bad cop as good as Geno and CD :) And talk about name recognition...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom