Benedict Wants Meeting With Aresco On Remaining In AAC For Football | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Benedict Wants Meeting With Aresco On Remaining In AAC For Football

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You just don't get negotiating strategy. Aresco is playing hard to get so UMess will agree to taking no TV money or bowl payouts for 25 years to get invited.
Ah, well as we saw from the American's TV deals, he's a master negotiator.

Reaction Score
You just reminded me of a bet I made with a Husky alum friend of mine. At about that same time several years ago, we made a bet regarding where we were going to end up. I said we'd land in the B10. He said it would be the B12. Sadly, it now looks like neither of us will win.

The bet was for an expensive steak (or whatever) dinner in a fancy restaurant. When you think of it, nobody would have lost that bet. Whomever lost was going to be so happy it wouldn't have mattered to them that they had to pay for the dinner. It would have been a joyous celebration and we likely would have closed down one of the most expensive restaurants in NYC.

It's sad now because barring some miracle from on high, it will likely never happen.
I think we will be better positioned at the end of the next 6 years than if we would have stayed with the status quo.

Reaction Score
Looks like Chief called it years ago - Casual Fanbase. Again, I am not criticizing, it is what it is. We need to embrace it, if it’s considered a strength to us.
I remember when Randy returned, Chief was in the XL Center concourse during a MBB game and ran into Randy. As we were chatting a woman interrupted and started ordering him to keep players names on the uniforms and to also change the color-design. I guess to some extent he did listen LOL. But, he did say after she left, Chief now you know what I have to deal with. And here we are.
Just say bada-book, bada-boom.

Reaction Score
If we could schedule out of conference games with 3-4 AAC teams (Temple, UCF, USF, Cincy, ECU?) over the next few years, I would just as soon cut the cord from the AAC. I don't know that all the strings attached would be worth staying just for football. Time to enter the brave new world...

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more and part of the reason has nothing to do with sports. She is a walking disaster in the President’s Club. The latest exhibit of evidence was she failed in her last attempt at joining the NBE and this time she let DB do the actual “successful” negotiations. It is worth noting, the other Presidents realized she had one foot and the toes on her other foot out the door. If that wasn’t the case, this would have never gotten approved by the NBE Presidents.
It also clear how unpopular she was with her peers at the AAC Presidents Club.

For some reason, the BOT and politicians in CT, seem blind to how she alienates her peers. The CT politicians and media are also the only ones that buy the silly cover story that she resigned to spend more time with the students in Stamford. Asked a student in Storrs if they believe that based on her interest in them. There’s a pattern there.
West Hartford...that’s all I can say....and those who understand will understand

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So between now and Newport we need AD David Benedict to either announce we have landed a home and home with a P5 school (don’t worry the contract could have easy exit clauses for both sides- just want this for leverage) or get it going in the media that was are close to signing up a couple new deals. This is where Fox can help us. Can Fox nudge a B12, B1G or P12 school to sign a home and home with us. Fox - do your thing.

This would keep the fan base happy and help negotiate our exit with Aresco (hello, we have options too). And we really should have our our AAC exit largely set by the Wagner game. This can’t linger. Bad for recruiting / bad for many reasons.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think we will be better positioned at the end of the next 6 years than if we would have stayed with the status quo.
^^^^This!

Mixed feelings about the move at first, but I think we can make this work to our benefit. We have a national brand because of basketball, and we need to use that to our advantage again to re-build this thing.

PARADIGM SHIFT

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Looks like Chief called it years ago - Casual Fanbase. Again, I am not criticizing, it is what it is. We need to embrace it, if it’s considered a strength to us.
I remember when Randy returned, Chief was in the XL Center concourse during a MBB game and ran into Randy. As we were chatting a woman interrupted and started ordering him to keep players names on the uniforms and to also change the color-design. I guess to some extent he did listen LOL. But, he did say after she left, Chief now you know what I have to deal with. And here we are.

chiefin is so hard hes gotta get up at 4am to find time to congratulate himself.

Reaction Score
If some woman walked up to the HC and barks orders about names on back and jersey colors after Dicko was fired, we have fans!

Reaction Score

What we need ... another National Championship in MBB & maybe 3 in WBB. A Fanbase that buys into how special WE are. Winning games & playing like Huskies.

As an INDY ... we can be one like no other. Yes. More BYU than Liberty.

We weren’t going to have 7000 go to MSG for the Saturday Championship in the AAC; that push has momentum. Playing ECU the second week of November & the first week of March just didn’t.

All due respect

Reaction Score
Come on man, he’s a long term deal guy. He loves the billion dollar deal - $1 a year for a billion years. He takes his 10% success fee upfront.

Sorry, lost my head there trying to do some Chief'n.

Reaction Score
ECU when invited at least had a strong football program (and decent history). I believe they were originally supposed to be football only but when s hit they got the full invite

Tulane and Tulsa should’ve never in 100 million years been considered, although at least now Tulane has hired an athletics staff hell bent on competing (good football coach, good basketball hire, great AD). Tulsa brings absolutely zero to any league on this planet. They wouldn’t even be the most prominent team in the Sun Belt.

Uhhhh then, based on head to head competitions, what does that make us?

Reaction Score
A big benefit of going Indy is that UConn can control their schedule.

Maybe schedule a way to 7 wins while incrementally improving.

And maybe go to a bowl (BYU went last year at 6-6), Miami of Ohio wen in 2016 at 6-6, Central Michigan bowled at 6-6 in 2016...etc,

Those mac teams were bowl eligible and went generally in the past because the mac has a bowl tie in. Byu has a big travel base and history.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

We will be fine. The AAC? Not so much. We were already recruiting/playing/behaving like an FBS independent, so I see no down shift there. Now we have a fan base that is energized again with respect to BB and that just had to happen.

Aresco can give all the sound bites he wants, there is no going back...he blew his chance already to keep us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not lawyer, but it is truly truly amazing that Aresco keeps talking.

If this ends up in court, most judges or juries will view UConn’s attempt to remain as a football playing member as a reasonable and good faith effort to uphold at least part of their contract.

TL;dr Aresco is still such an incredible dolt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom