Benedict Wants Meeting With Aresco On Remaining In AAC For Football | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Benedict Wants Meeting With Aresco On Remaining In AAC For Football

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
CBS Sports: Where do you think UConn football ends up now?

Aresco: "I can't say. The one thing I can tell you, they won't be playing in our conference [after 2019]."

CBS Sports: If you go to 12, how many schools are out there that can bring $6 million-$7 million valuation to the table to become a 12th AAC member? (That's what AAC teams were set to earn in the new ESPN TV contract.)

Aresco: "Probably very few."

AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn
LOL, so he's pushing us out before 27 months?

We should ride that rented mule all the way out... unless they want us out with no fee.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

We should ride that rented mule all the way out... unless they want us out with no fee.
I was just thinking that. These are incredibly stupid, and if we are smart costly, statements.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watching how Aresco is handling our departure, you can see why the AAC got such a crappy TV deal. Aresco can't just keep his mouth shut. If I was sitting across the table from him, I would just let him keep talking until he had bid himself down to $0.

Reaction Score
Fofs = Friends of Friends? Ritter is from West Hartford, the West Hartford Illuminati are tight with Suzy? This isn't a conspiracy, it's a business decision. Membership in the AAC was like being on a rocket to the sun, it was going to destroy us in the end.
... Got to pull the threads... its hidden in plain sight.... do big decisions happen suddenly?

Reaction Score

When a school quits the league for Basketball, they don’t have the right to keep their other teams in the league for 27 months. UConn is breaking the contract by leaving early.
Whatever else happens, Uconn won’t be playing any “conference” games in the AAC in the 2020-21 academic year and UConn will be forced to pay an exit fee. The amount of the exit fee is TBD.

Could Uconn end up on the schedule of teams like Temple and Navy? Absolutely. Could UConn incentivize schools like Memphis and Cincinnati to schedule FB games in return for BB games? Absolutely. Everything is negotiable.

If UConn plays its cards right, it will be a friendly divorce. Hopefully, it doesn’t turn into Nebraska/A&M vs the Big 12 which resulted in the end of two of the country’s best rivalry games.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
When a school quits the league for Basketball, they don’t have the right to keep their other teams in the league for 27 months. UConn and the AAC are getting a divorce.

Whatever else happens, Uconn won’t be playing any “conference” games in the AAC in the 2020-21 academic year and UConn will be forced to pay an exit fee. The amount of the exit fee is TBD.

Could Uconn end up on the schedule of teams like Temple and Navy? Absolutely. Could UConn incentivize schools like Memphis and Cincinnati to schedule FB games in return for BB games? Absolutely. Everything is negotiable.

If UConn plays its cards right, it will be a friendly divorce. Hopefully, it doesn’t turn into Nebraska/A&M vs the Big 12 which resulted in the end of two of the country’s best rivalry games.
I must have missed the official date that we join the NBE. Do we know that yet?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When a school quits the league for Basketball, they don’t have the right to keep their other teams in the league for 27 months. UConn is breaking the contract by leaving early.

Ah divorce. Never realized how much fun it could be.

Maybe ESPN knew this was a possibility all along. Maybe the new contract was priced with the idea of UConn walking. Seems like a distinct possibility.

Reaction Score
That's not remotely how any of this works lol

Reaction Score
I must have missed the official date that we join the NBE. Do we know that yet?

My understanding is UConn needs to join for all sports except FB next year.

“UConn will spend one more year in the AAC before bolting to the Big East in advance of the 2020-21 season in all sports except football, which is facing the possibility of playing as an independent if it cannot make its way into another conference. “

Reaction Score
It is exactly how it works.
The only commitment that the university made to the Big East is that we will join after 7/1/2020 and before 2023. Nothing else has been set in stone. We haven't left the AAC at this point. We have 27 months after alerting the conference per bylaws, unless an agreement to leave earlier is reached. By Aresco's account we will be pushed out in 2020. Can't buyout when we're being kicked out.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The only commitment that the university made to the Big East is that we will join after 7/1/2020. Nothing else has been set in stone. We haven't left the AAC at this point. We have 27 months after alerting the conference per bylaws, unless an agreement to leave earlier is reached. By Aresco's account we will be pushed out in 2020. Can't buyout when we're being kicked out.
Can the AAC assert that since we signed an MOU with the BE that we have effectively served notice for our exit? I think the 27 month clock has started or that is what the AAC Can successful argue.

That all said, let’s get out this place ASAP.

Reaction Score
Can the AAC assert that since we signed an MOU with the BE that we have effectively served notice for our exit? I think the 27 month clock has started or that is what the AAC Can successful argue.

That all said, let’s get out this place ASAP.
Perhaps, and the Big East contract does actually mention before 2023. Essentially the arguing will be over 2020. We should get out sooner but we should also push on every little thing this moron says out of court and save some money on the way.

Reaction Score
Whatever else happens, UConn won’t be playing any “conference” games in the AAC in the 2020-21 academic year and UConn will be forced to pay an exit fee. Everything is negotiable.

If UConn AND the AAC each play their cards right, it may be a friendly divorce.
@MustangMan Your 2nd sentence may or may not prove accurate, but it’s way too premature to confidently believe the initial part of the 1st sentence. As for the 3rd, FIFY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only commitment that the university made to the Big East is that we will join after 7/1/2020 and before 2023. Nothing else has been set in stone. We haven't left the AAC at this point. We have 27 months after alerting the conference per bylaws, unless an agreement to leave earlier is reached. By Aresco's account we will be pushed out in 2020. Can't buyout when we're being kicked out.

If UConn wants to stay in the AAC for all sports for the full 27 months, the AAC cannot simply kick them out. I doubt anyone seriously thinks they will stick around that long.

My posts assume that UConn will be playing BB in the Big East next year. The fans want it, Uconn wants it, and the Big East wants it. Getting out early means paying the AAC a kicker.

Likely result:
- $10M exit fee + early exit penalty paid out over time.
- AAC teams don’t refuse to play OOC games against UConn FB and UConn BB doesn’t refuse to play OOC BB against AAC teams.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom