before you kill diaco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

before you kill diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Isn't Tarbutt money from 50+ yards in practice? I thought he would make the 49 yarder and be our kicker going forward. He hasn't lacked confidence as far as his Twitter talk goes. Still think he'll have the job soon.

There is a difference between practice and games. We all know that. Kickers are a prickly bunch and their psyche is everything. But I think you need to march Tarbutt out there and put it on film.

Football players all know you can't hide from your performance on film.

Reaction Score
Isn't Tarbutt money from 50+ yards in practice? I thought he would make the 49 yarder and be our kicker going forward. He hasn't lacked confidence as far as his Twitter talk goes. Still think he'll have the job soon.

THIS. I want to make personnel decisions based on twitter feeds.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As I saw it, Diaco had several choices, which I would rank in the following order:

1) Leave the offense on the field on 4th and 4
2) Attempt the Field Goal
3) Attempt a Statue of Liberty Play
4) Try a flea flicker
5) Run the weave
6) Picket fence
7) whatever crazy s*** Coach Boone called at the end of Remember the Titans
8) Steal home
9) Light self on fire
10) Crap his own pants
11) Try fake field goal with Boyle

It appears Diaco chose 9, 10 and 11.

Reaction Score
When we lined up for the FG, my first thought was "holy crap we're faking it". It seemed too obvious given our extra point woes.

If Boyle had put a little mustard on his first attempt it would've been a completion. The 2nd throw was just lobbed up there and the defense was ready for it, not much he could've done but putting that much air under it certainly didn't help.

Very happy with the game overall, we're a better team than last year (based on these first 3 games).

Reaction Score
There was a lot of good coaching today. Diaco's defense was fantastic and the scheme totally shut down Missouri. The fake punt was a great call. I loved that the offense went to the empty set on the last series. It was like Rocky changing up and switching back to Southpaw in the last round, Missouri had no answers for it and couldn't adjust. If we don't get a holding call on the final drive, we are looking at 2nd and short instead of 2nd and 10 during that series. But the last call was hideous, it totally outshines Bob's work. Listen, we are recruiting well, we are playing good ball, our guys are bigger/stronger, our uniforms look great, and we have what looks to be a bright future. I'm not going to beat Diaco up. If you told me last week that we would be in this one and that we would have a chance down the stretch to win in, then I would have been out of my mind (happy). This team is so young, a lot of our play makers are sophomores. What I learned today was that our defense is damn good. They will keep us in most games this year, which makes us dangerous.

Reaction Score
Went to the Big E today and there were tons of UConn T-shirts walking about. DVR'd the game, come home and watch it and was extremely disappointed. First the defense played their heart and tales off only to have another part of the game fall apart. Yes ST needed a break they just could not get. You wonder what they are doing in practice all week. I'm wondering if the talent level of the ST really falls off the charts which I do believe and will continue if no adjustments are made. However Diaco's play call was just an embarrassment to the program.

I will say this and its true most of the time. The good teams find a way to win, the bad teams find a way to lose. Mizzou won with one hand tied behind their back. UConn let them off the hook today.

Reaction Score
Went to the Big E today and there were tons of UConn T-shirts walking about. DVR'd the game, come home and watch it and was extremely disappointed. First the defense played their heart and tales off only to have another part of the game fall apart. Yes ST needed a break they just could not get. You wonder what they are doing in practice all week. I'm wondering if the talent level of the ST really falls off the charts which I do believe and will continue if no adjustments are made. However Diaco's play call was just an embarrassment to the program.

I will say this and its true most of the time. The good teams find a way to win, the bad teams find a way to lose. Mizzou won with one hand tied behind their back. UConn let them off the hook today.
I could not disagree with you more. UConn were 21 point underdogs, the SEC recruits 4 and 5 star recruits, Our program is coming off of the Pasqualoni death penalty, what kind of dude picks the Big E over this game, the special teams will get better, as well as our offense, it takes time

Reaction Score
Diaco's still learning. He's going to make some boneheaded calls. But he also has these kids believing they can win these football games. I look at this team of sophomores and think about how good we can be. I look at Diaco and how much he's already learned and think how good he could be.

Doesn't make it okay that he screwed up, but he's been doing this for less than two years. The future's so bright you gotta wear sunglasses.

Reaction Score
Gotta kick that
At least give your team a chance to tie. You already pulled two kick fakes earlier in the game. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times, yeah not going to happen 3 times in one game. Have to kick it there for sure.

Reaction Score
When we lined up for the FG, my first thought was "holy crap we're faking it". It seemed too obvious given our extra point woes.

If Boyle had put a little mustard on his first attempt it would've been a completion. The 2nd throw was just lobbed up there and the defense was ready for it, not much he could've done but putting that much air under it certainly didn't help.

Very happy with the game overall, we're a better team than last year (based on these first 3 games).
I absolutely agree. And if anyone wants to argue this team has not gotten better, there is something seriously wrong with them.

Reaction Score
This is correct, the two are not mutually exclusive. The play call was wrong, BD did an outstanding job today on everything else.

Let's also not forget MU should've had a 4th down on their TD drive when that receiver very obviously did not control the ball on the 1st down catch. Should've been a 40+ yd FG attempt.

Glad you mentioned that. Was that the catch where they hurried to run another play because they knew it might be reversed? Did we have a TO available to challenge? That was a huge play. I think he has to control the ball to the ground. He clearly did not. (Sorry I'm a little unclear on all the situations because I had an unforeseen medical event.)

Reaction Score
Glad you mentioned that. Was that the catch where they hurried to run another play because they knew it might be reversed? Did we have a TO available to challenge? That was a huge play. I think he has to control the ball to the ground. He clearly did not. (Sorry I'm a little unclear on all the situations because I had an unforeseen medical event.)

Yes, that was the play. Yes we had a TO. But this is not the NFL were you only look at a play when challenged. The booth should have -- and can -- stop play immediately when they have reason to think a reversible error occurred.

By the way -- I'm not at all sure we win even if the call was made. MIzzou was the better team today --not by tons but better -- and if they are still behind after that possession they may kick later FGs that they passed on. So I won't say that call cost us the game. But it was the wrong call, and it was a huge moment in the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Going the Big E over the game and then the most idiotic quote of the year saying Mizzou won with one hand tied behind their back. You obviously got plastered at the Big E and on the way home to make that comment buddy.
It could have been worse, he could have gone apple picking.

Reaction Score
The 2nd throw was just lobbed up there and the defense was ready for it, not much he could've done but putting that much air under it certainly didn't help.

Maybe he called "bank shot" and therefore had to bounce it off the MetLife blimp.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with the call. He abandoned the kicking game because there is a problem with it (not the kicking but the blocking - what did they say, 3 blocked PAT's this year along with the blocked punt earlier in the game?). I think if people are upset it should be at why there is enough of a problem with the kicking game that the coach would abandon it when he has a kicker that can be reasonably assured to make the attempt successfully.

Reaction Score
Remember that out field goal unit can't even snap a ball. Can't block for a field goal. Also the announcers clearly said in pregame we couldn't hit a field goal outside 40 yards. I'm Damn proud of this team. Yes Diaco has to manage game better. But we are lightyears ahead of any of us could have ever imagined. Yes I'm disappointed because we should have won. But I would put it at 90%chance that our freshman kicker in front of 70,000 fans with a snapper/holder who are terrible makes that field goal. True sports fans that KNOW the game would agree with not kicking the field goal. They may not agree with the playcall. But a kid who just attempted his 1st ever field goal and blundered it will not make that to tie. Rant over. Proud of this team and how hard they are working. Future looks EXTREMELY BRIGHT.

I believe what the announcer said is that Tarbutt was hooking the ball in practice. But its not relevant except that Tarbutts leg has been much weaker than anticipated. He rarely kicks into the end zone. And his FG attempt looked like it would just barely make it (or not) if it was straight.

Diaco deserves to be killed about his special teams. He can't figure out the extra point? Every other coach in the nation has been better. Three blocked in three games. That's completely on the coach. I don't mind going for the win but since Diaco already had run two fake kicks, it wasn't exactly a surprise to Missouri.

Let's talk punts. We had one blocked for a safety. Then there were two running into the receiver penalties when we were able to get off a punt. And there was another failure to catch a punt that landed at the 20 and ended up putting us at our own one yard line.

These are all on Diaco. The STs were a mess. That's not on the players, it's on the coach.

Reaction Score
Attempt to build up Boyle. Boyle has not lived up to his rating, sadly.

Didn't get to watch the damn game but nice to see we're playing good football once again. I'm on the Diaco bandwagon. And please, have the band playing more than the stupid speakers at the Rent.

Reaction Score
There were other issues. Two in particular were the Mizzou first down catch that the receiver didn't have control of and the Ron Johnson fumble 3 seconds after the whistle should have been blown.

Unfortunately, AAC refs or not, we didn't catch a break. The review on the McCallister play took about 3-4 minutes even though it was clear as day. Meanwhile, the Johnson fumble review took 30 seconds tops and that one required great scrutiny before making a fair decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom