Before Brittney: Emily Nkosi talks about Griner and life since leaving Baylor after coming out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Before Brittney: Emily Nkosi talks about Griner and life since leaving Baylor after coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's been interesting reading all the responses to pppggg's comments. Most of you are spot on. And to follow up on what Cam said, "ignorant" in this case does not mean stupid, but based on lack of knowledge, however, I somehow suspect that even if pppggg were educated, we'd still be subjected to the same comments. I will reply to one statement since s/he did ask a question...

"And speaking of that, why do straight people have to be tolerant of gay views but gays don’t have to be tolerant of their views? I keep asking that question but I never get an answer."

The majority should ALWAYS be tolerant of the minority. When they aren't, it's bigoted. I doubt very much I can explain it in a way you could understand, but when a gay partner does not have the right to be legally married, enjoy the same financial benefits, adopt children, make medical decisions for their loved one, or any of the other issues under discussion, they they don't have the same rights as the majority. In your case, the majority is trying to deny the minority rights that the majority enjoys. So we "gays" are not trying to jam anything down your collective throats.

How on earth does a same sex couple marrying, adopting children, or being able to file joint taxes impact you personally? Does it infringe on your life in any way? Most likely not. Alex actually said it the best - loved his post. The reality is there is nothing anyone can say that would make a person like you see the light. But blacks in this country were going thru the same thing until 1967 when the Supreme Court finally ruled they could legally marry whites.

Now, we look back and wonder what took so long. I hope in 20 years, most feel the same way regarding the same sex issue...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let's jump to just when Harry Truman integrated the military in 1948:
- African-Americans (choose your favorite bigoted, racist argument and insert here)

There may be some reasonable parallels between the integration of blacks in 1948 and the acceptance of LBGT's now. Let me add a personal note.

When President Truman broke down racial barriers in the military in 1948, he was opposed by revered figures like Omar Bradley (who called it "social engineering") and Dwight Eisenhower. His response to them and many others like them? "Deal with it."

So while we salute Truman, let me acquaint you with what a great hero of mine did. Jim Gavin was as fine an officer who ever laced up a pair of jump boots. As the CG of the 82nd Airborne Division in 1947 (!), he integrated that great outfit, a year ahead of Commander-in-Chief Truman.

At that time, there was in existence the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion ("The Triple Nickle's"), an all-black unit, segregated from the 82nd at Fort Bragg. General Gavin made them a part of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, then commanded by a young colonel named William Westmoreland.

[Paratroopers tend to identify more with their regiments (e.g., 506th PIR in "Band of Brothers," the 504th PIR "Devils in Baggy Pants," etc.), and the
"'05" held a special place in Jim Gavin's heart, since it was an early command of his. Thus the special significance of this gesture.]

So Jim Gavin was way out in front on this integration business. His daughter, Barbara, is a close personal friend who lives in nearby Ridgefield. My daughter (Dana) once pointedly asked: "What were your dad's feelings about those black soldiers in the 'Triple Nickle's'?" Barbara never batted an eye: "My father considered them to be fellow paratroopers and he loved every one of them."

That's leadership!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some superb posts in this thread...lots of likes.

True, and deservedly so. Perhaps it's a good thing that we don't have access to a "dislike" option. If we did, it would assuredly have gotten lots of use on this thread -- by both sides!

Reaction Score
I don't think you can simply apply overall %'s to something like women's college athletics. My guess is that most college recruits have been around a number of fellow players who are homosexual and that it really isn't an issue. But I honestly think that your estimate of 2 homosexual players/coaches per team on average is low.

Personally, I do not understand when people get upset about homosexuality. I don't care one bit about someone's sexual preference. As long as they are happy, that's all that matters. I just hope for Griner's sake that people in WNBA cities show her respect.

Bottom line, a coach does not have a right or obligation to discuss the sexuality of her players and coaches with recruits and their parents. Their private lives are not at liberty to be discussed and they are entitled to their privacy.

I hope that Mulkey continues to take the same stance in the future. The estimate is that 10% of the American population is gay. Based on a team headcount of roughly 15 players, one head coach and three assistants, a team manager, there are likely 2 gay people associated with each program. So if you think you are going to be able to send little Buffy off to school and protect her from the big, bad, gay people, you are exhibiting profound ignorance.

And for the record, we are talking about gay people, not gay marriage. Just because some people don't support gay marriage doesn't mean that they are not supportive of gay rights, in general. I would think that the number of people who would not go to a program because there is a gay player or coach are very few and far between.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the perception for the lesbian community revolves around U-hauls and 2nd dates! ;)

That is true and a running joke in the gay and lesbian community. And all in good fun.

I hope nobody takes offense, but one year for Halloween my costume was a U-Haul box with a hole cut in the top so that I could slip it over my head. On the sides was written "Lesbian Second Date." My lesbian friends thought it was a scream...and most of my straight friends had no idea what it meant.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't think you can simply apply overall %'s to something like women's college athletics. My guess is that most college recruits have been around a number of fellow players who are homosexual and that it really isn't an issue. But I honestly think that your estimate of 2 homosexual players/coaches per team on average is low.

Personally, I do not understand when people get upset about homosexuality. I don't care one bit about someone's sexual preference. As long as they are happy, that's all that matters. I just hope for Griner's sake that people in WNBA cities show her respect.

I suspect that you are right and I was definitley low-balling the number on purpose.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I appreciate that.

Twenty-seven years ago I met my most beloved friend, Mari, on the Baylor campus. She actually "came out" while a Baylor student, as out as you could be as a Baylor student at that time, so this debate strikes very close to home.

Five years ago Mari and her partner were "married" in a ceremony in Ft. Worth. Only Mari's parents attended the ceremony out of all of her family. I stood up for her, and was honored to fill that roll, traditionally filled by a family member.

Two months ago I lost my soul mate and best friend to a long battle with ovarian cancer. I attended Mari's funeral in the same church where she got married and sat next to her family and partner. Mari's mother, having watched the way that Mari's partner and the gay community had cared for her asked to have a letter read by the preacher. In this letter, Mari's mother said that before Mari came out that she thought that some gay people were "ok" but after seeing how her friends surrounded her with love that she was convinced that they were not just ok, but "better."

I am not claiming to be better or claiming that the gay community is better, but we are certainly not lesser and we do not deserve to be treated as such.
Wow-That is quite a reply. I truly feel terrible about your loss. And I really appreciate your reply. And my views on the word marriage, were and are in no way intended to make anyone feel better or lesser than anyone else. Obviously we don't know each other, but you could not find one person that knows me, straight or gay- family, friends and my 1000's of clients, (and I happen to have and am fortunate to have alot of both straight and gay friends in each category), that would have a negative thing to say about my dealings with everyone. We end up having more good fun with our "differences", than even considering them a barrier of any kind. And there are really good people that are straight and gay, and plenty of really bad people as well. I would like to think that most of us judge people individually, and not per their sexual preference. I'm sure there are many who don't. But I will ask my gay friends specifically, if because of my view on the word marriage, if they feel in their hearts , that I really am am horrible for feeling that way. My daughters and wife are also on the other side of this issue as well. My wife is a recent convert. Hey ETT- I will try to stay in touch, and hope you do the same-

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wow-That is quite a reply. I truly feel terrible about your loss. And I really appreciate your reply. And my views on the word marriage, were and are in no way intended to make anyone feel better or lesser than anyone else. Obviously we don't know each other, but you could not find one person that knows me, straight or gay- family, friends and my 1000's of clients, (and I happen to have and am fortunate to have alot of both straight and gay friends in each category), that would have a negative thing to say about my dealings with everyone. We end up having more good fun with our "differences", than even considering them a barrier of any kind. And there are really good people that are straight and gay, and plenty of really bad people as well. I would like to think that most of us judge people individually, and not per their sexual preference. I'm sure there are many who don't. But I will ask my gay friends specifically, if because of my view on the word marriage, if they feel in their hearts , that I really am am horrible for feeling that way. My daughters and wife are also on the other side of this issue as well. My wife is a recent convert. Hey ETT- I will try to stay in touch, and hope you do the same-

Yes, that truly came through in your well thought out reply. I definitely got the sense that you are a stand-up guy who has no ill will towards others, which is greatly appreciated. I suspect that your friends think you are a terrific person whom they respect and cherish as a friend.

Reaction Score
Okay, I must be a dreadful queer, but I'm not sure I understand the "lesbian second date" allusion. Is it a reference to the stereotype that they enter long-term relationships quickly? So the U-hauls refers to moving in together on the second date?

Is that right?

That is true and a running joke in the gay and lesbian community. And all in good fun.

I hope nobody takes offense, but one year for Halloween my costume was a U-Haul box with a hole cut in the top so that I could slip it over my head. On the sides was written "Lesbian Second Date." My lesbian friends thought it was a scream...and most of my straight friends had no idea what it meant.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Okay, I must be a dreadful queer, but I'm not sure I understand the "lesbian second date" allusion. Is it a reference to the stereotype that they enter long-term relationships quickly? So the U-hauls refers to moving in together on the second date?

Is that right?
I was wondering also... can I join in on the laugh?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love wiki... very detailed stuff, lots of "real" information

Reaction Score
Re: fears that gay marriage will undermine traditional marriage and cause the world to end, this is a brilliant 4 minute speech by a New Zealand MP shortly before parliament passed marriage legislation recently. It is a hoot, and by the way this man is straight.

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits