Beer | Page 266 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
First time attaching a photo. Here's all the stuff i picked over my trip displayed at my local brewery hangout. (They're a small operation so I thought I could get away with this.)

Attachments

• 20231121_174135.jpg
    20231121_174135.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 60
Reaction Score
A guest of ours for Thanksgiving brought this. What am I supposed to do with it? I'm not drinking this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A guest of ours for Thanksgiving brought this. What am I supposed to do with it? I'm not drinking this.

Maybe not during the UConn - UMass football game but otherwise it’s fine. His dad was a big UConn basketball fan.

Reaction Score

Camby is actually a part-owner of White Lion Brewery in Springfield. It would be a drain-pour for me purely on principle. Their beers are drinkable, but not memorable.

Reaction Score
Camby is actually a part-owner of White Lion Brewery in Springfield. It would be a drain-pour for me purely on principle. Their beers are drinkable, but not memorable.
Best one I had from them was a collaboration with Vitamin Sea called Lions of the Sea.

Reaction Score
In light of the recent lawsuit filed by the single minority shareholder (who feels as though the majority owners are enriching themselves rather than paying him) against Tree House Brewing, I thought it's time to ask a question that has been on my mind for several months. Has Tree House jumped the shark? Tree House continues to make tree-mendous beers, of that there is no dispute. But I have grown tired of the silly hoops they make you go through to get them. The only availability at the brewery, the wrist bands, the artificial limits on purchases, the standing in lines, the drink tickets, etc. Standing in line for 45 minutes to pay $8 for a 12 oz. beer put me over the edge. During COVID, I put up with the rules, heck I even followed the rules to buy toilet paper from Costco. In a post-COVID world, playing these games has outweighed the enjoyment of drinking the beer. I'll drink Bud before I visit Tree House again. (OK, that's a lie. I'll never drink a Bud. But I'm still annoyed at Tree House)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In light of the recent lawsuit filed by the single minority shareholder (who feels as though the majority owners are enriching themselves rather than paying him) against Tree House Brewing, I thought it's time to ask a question that has been on my mind for several months. Has Tree House jumped the shark? Tree House continues to make tree-mendous beers, of that there is no dispute. But I have grown tired of the silly hoops they make you go through to get them. The only availability at the brewery, the wrist bands, the artificial limits on purchases, the standing in lines, the drink tickets, etc. Standing in line for 45 minutes to pay $8 for a 12 oz. beer put me over the edge. During COVID, I put up with the rules, heck I even followed the rules to buy toilet paper from Costco. In a post-COVID world, playing these games has outweighed the enjoyment of drinking the beer. I'll drink Bud before I visit Tree House again. (OK, that's a lie. I'll never drink a Bud. But I'm still annoyed at Tree House)
Counterpoint. They keep expanding to more locations. The lines and rules are because the place is just still too busy. Pre-buying tickets online speeds the pour process. You don't see lines at Sandwich because they cap capacity. Weekdays in the winter? No problems. As for the 3 drink limit, I speculate that it is liability related (maybe from their insurers). The locations are all "must drive" except Sandwich, so they know or should know that people are driving. The beers are overwhelmingly quite strong.

That said, on a nice sunny weekend day it just isn't worth the hassle. It was absolutely mobbed last time I went. There is too much good beer now to deal with that.

Reaction Score
The simple answer is no… and I’m not even as much of a Treehouse white knight as @HuskyHawk. But what I can say with certainty is that the customer experience at Treehousr is unmatched in the industry. It’s actually gotten easier to enjoy the experience in Charlton, not more difficult. Artificial limits? I mean, how many cans of peach Julius does one need? You can walk out of there with $1000 in cans and bottles on any given day, if that’s your jam.

Reaction Score
I think any time expands to the ends they have risk having it all fall on their head.

If the others are right and the operations standpoint is stable they will probably be fine even if they have to sell off an asset or two.

Reaction Score
I think any time expands to the ends they have risk having it all fall on their head.

If the others are right and the operations standpoint is stable they will probably be fine even if they have to sell off an asset or two.
They aren’t selling anything off. Profit margins are insane and cash flow is impressive. If anything, they will continue to acquire opportunistically and strategically. Saratoga is not a final move.

Reaction Score
They aren’t selling anything off. Profit margins are insane and cash flow is impressive. If anything, they will continue to acquire opportunistically and strategically. Saratoga is not a final move.
I'm just saying "if". I fully admit I don't have the bigger picture... but if this guy wants assets he's going to get something to remedy his issues.

Reaction Score
For any Boston area people. This place in Providence is legit and they recently opened in Boston. Not the greatest area (between South End and Roxbury) but not terrible either. It's far enough away from Mass and Cass so that stuff shouldn't be an issue.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For any Boston area people. This place in Providence is legit and they recently opened in Boston. Not the greatest area (between South End and Roxbury) but not terrible either. It's far enough away from Mass and Cass so that stuff shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I've only been saying that for 3-4+ years now. The neighborhood they are in in Providence is no prize but this location? Holy crap. How did they choose that? I suppose it's not all that far from my daughter's apartment, but I think I'll just go to Providence or stop at Trillium on the way home.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good California Steam beer?

Anchor Steam was a staple at my house for decades. I'm missing it badly, and I've yet to find anyone who brews this tpoe of beer regularly.

Some brewers make occasional batches while others are small Cali brewers. Cant seem to find any in the northeast

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good California Steam beer?

Anchor Steam was a staple at my house for decades. I'm missing it badly, and I've yet to find anyone who brews this tpoe of beer regularly.

Some brewers make occasional batches while others are small Cali brewers. Cant seem to find any in the northeast
There aren't many. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/132/

My suggestion? Try Shipping Out of Boston by Jack's Abby. Not technically the same style, but not far off.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've only been saying that for 3-4+ years now. The neighborhood they are in in Providence is no prize but this location? Holy crap. How did they choose that? I suppose it's not all that far from my daughter's apartment, but I think I'll just go to Providence or stop at Trillium on the way home.
It was the old Backlash brewery before they went under. Turn-key taproom was probably the appeal. It's still a nice space and yeah a little under the radar. Good for group events because it doesn't get packed and the beer is great.

Reaction Score
There aren't many. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/132/

My suggestion? Try Shipping Out of Boston by Jack's Abby. Not technically the same style, but not far off.
Hard to find places that will sell Cali common these days. Port City,
(Alexandria) does one in that style (derecho common) in memory of a serious power outage that fubared one of their beers... MAYBE that reaches into CT but that'd be a summer release.

----

Starting to think about the Xmas trip home. I'm thinking drive up 23 start to leave 30 after lowell hockey loses to aic (I'm a uconn phd) and the post-game skate. Just gotta figure the side stops. Tempted to go to human robot on the way up and neishaminy creek but I may put a flyer into one my grad school buddies and I think he might be going to the basketball game I should see if that's in Hartford or not. After Xmas. Kind of open ended. Part of me wants to slip to Maine and hit a few new places. I know I need to attack ct more. Just not enough time is there.

So... one day during the week in CT. One day in Maine. Probably nothing on the following Saturday.

I want to be back in DC by early 31st as my local is having a band rock into the new year.

Reaction Score
Treehouse has a California common. I like it but beer is like pizza with me. I like pretty much all of it but like some a little more than others.
? Is it always available?

Also, is there a Treehouse presence at stores in Connecticut? Are they distributed?

Reaction Score

Also, is there a Treehouse presence at stores in Connecticut? Are they distributed?
It is currently available at their locations. I routinely drove an hour out of the way but I live in northern CT and work in Mass.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.png
    IMG_1910.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 36
Reaction Score
So, I'm not going to crawl all over the state over xmas... SE part of CT... tox, fox, beer'd? I'm thinking friday after xmas Remember I'm not an IPA monger. I figure (a little more research) one day in southern Maine (Maine Beer Co., Oxbow?) and one day in greater Mass over the xmas week. I may owe a friend and his wife some treehouse if they snag some westy in the netherlands as I've seen it rumored its available there.

I have some thoughts about the way up. If I get wiped out from my UConn contacts I might stop by Counterweight and Kinsmen on the 23rd but I'd rather hang out with my old friends than hit a brewery as such. It'll depend a lot on how early is my jump on the day.

Reaction Score

They don’t distribute so you’ll never find Treehouse in stores. California common is not a regular style like Julius or something but usually anything rotational or unique is available for several weeks unless it’s a specific release that I’ve seen for stouts occasionally.

They are in Western, Central, Cape Cod and just outside Boston in Mass. I suppose they do have a location in Woodstock CT but that’s like a farm or something so what they offer for beer sales is very limited.

I love their interpretations of different styles of beer. They are far from just an IPA factory as they brew almost every style under the sun. Their coffee program is unbelievable so don’t sleep on their beans and/or cold brew.

I personally don’t love their mixed drinks that they have started doing but I know enough people who do so it may be worth trying out.

Hope this gets you started feel free to ask away for any more questions

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
FYI counterweight near my house has a Bullitt bourbon driven beer on tap @ 9.4! Its killer

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

As already said, they never sell in stores. Talked to the guy at Sandwich when I was there last weekend. He said they will be brewing on site at the new Saratoga Springs location, because NY law won't let them bring beer in from MA without a distributor. So that's how far they'll go to avoid distribution.

@upstater it's a rare style, but also, as I said, not all that unique really. Most of the California Common beers I've had have been lighter bodied than Anchor Steam, some are even pale gold not amber. I'm not sure anybody is really replicating Anchor Steam. So you might just shift to malty amber lagers and ales and see if you can find something you like that is readily available. Ales will be more common, an ESB might work. On the lager side, this is from Buffalo. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/702/47193/

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom