Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Age a PumKing long enough and it almost becomes a barley wine. The Two Roads one @pepband99 mentioned is rum cask aged. I like both but the best ones aren’t quite so boozy or sweet/malty.
When I was a beer drinker, I liked Cisco's Pumple Drumkin. It's probably been at least seven years since I've had one, but I recall it as less sweet and less boozy. Prime 16 used to serve it in a pint glass rimmed with cinnamon sugar, which was a nice touch.

Reaction Score
The strange thing is that I’ve had stouts recently with pumpkin as a secondary adjunct and enjoyed them. But pumpkin ales, where pumpkin is the star of the show… not so much.

Reaction Score
16906175-C2BD-44B2-9021-F13F55171506.jpeg
I know people have very strong opinions about smoked beers - mostly rauchbier and bock styles. Most of the detractors say they taste like drinking the water after it’s used to extinguish a camp fire. I get it. But I really enjoy a well-made smoked beer, especially in the fall. I drank this smoked bock from Schilling as the clock turned to 5pm yesterday. Cherry and Beech smoked barley turned this into an incredible sensory experience.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Has to be my palate but I’ve always found pumpkin beers to give off a synthetic/unnatural flavor. I have to admit that the last pumpkin beer I drank was Southern Tier Pumpking about 4-5 years ago. I might have to revisit the style.
It could that pumpkin is just terrible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing. At the movie theater. It annoys me that they don’t have Guinness or a porter or something, but this isn’t bad.
View attachment 80528

That's exactly how I feel about every Sierra Nevada offering. Not bad. Nothing offensive. But I don't think they're really good at any one beer. They're on the good side of the bell curve for certain but it's always my 3rd or 4th choice when looking at beers.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
View attachment 80353 I know people have very strong opinions about smoked beers - mostly rauchbier and bock styles. Most of the detractors say they taste like drinking the water after it’s used to extinguish a camp fire. I get it. But I really enjoy a well-made smoked beer, especially in the fall. I drank this smoked bock from Schilling as the clock turned to 5pm yesterday. Cherry and Beech smoked barley turned this into an incredible sensory experience.
Available where?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
View attachment 80353 I know people have very strong opinions about smoked beers - mostly rauchbier and bock styles. Most of the detractors say they taste like drinking the water after it’s used to extinguish a camp fire. I get it. But I really enjoy a well-made smoked beer, especially in the fall. I drank this smoked bock from Schilling as the clock turned to 5pm yesterday. Cherry and Beech smoked barley turned this into an incredible sensory experience.
That looks excellent. I find the Raucbier I've had is too much. But I love Jack's Abby's Smoke & Dagger. Magic Hat made a smoked beer years ago that I used to get (or it might have been Otter Creek).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My sister in law lives in Astoria. and saw a beet store at Grand Central. She came home with one of these and I was amazed at how I enjoyed it by a fire. Now and and then a little goes in chili. This brew is available at larger retailers.

1668176568568.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My sister in law lives in Astoria. and saw a beet store at Grand Central. She came home with one of these and I was amazed at how I enjoyed it by a fire. Now and and then a little goes in chili. This brew is available at larger retailers.

View attachment 80552
Yeah, that's the one I thought was too much. A little goes a long way. I like it, but can't drink much.

Reaction Score
Available where?
Sadly, due to CT’s archaic and super-territorial distro laws, our fine state is the ONLY New England state that does not sell Schilling beers at retail. I have to drive about 20 minutes over the border to the closest DeCicco’s market in Bedford, NY to satisfy my Schilling needs. But the smoked beers are coming and they are coming at a much faster clip these days. Counterweight just dropped a more lightly smoked lager this week. I haven’t had it but a friend told me it’s delicious.

AEF3F2E5-0CF5-4A71-9936-26D863DEF76F.jpeg

Reaction Score
That looks excellent. I find the Raucbier I've had is too much. But I love Jack's Abby's Smoke & Dagger. Magic Hat made a smoked beer years ago that I used to get (or it might have been Otter Creek).
I’m also a fan of Smoke & Dagger and many other highly drinkable offerings from the good folks and former Stamfordites in Framingham. If you can get hands on, I highly recommend Fox Farm’s The Cabin smoked helles lager, and if you can stomach something smokier, The Camp rauchbier. FF really shows off their range of brewing skill with these beers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Took a drive last night to Marlowe’s new spot to get their new Nectaron-hopped Eager to Share pale ale. This guy coaxes so much flavor out of a pale. Just fantastic.

View attachment 80647
Is there a notable difference in taste from this summer's version? Asking because I loved the ETS I had in August and was planning on buying more when I head to CT in Dec. I'd hate to find out it's sharper. It was damned near perfect as it was for the style.

Reaction Score
Is there a notable difference in taste from this summer's version? Asking because I loved the ETS I had in August and was planning on buying more when I head to CT in Dec. I'd hate to find out it's sharper. It was damned near perfect as it was for the style.
Not sharper or more bitter. It’s the same Citra and Mosaic base and exact same grain bill. He just did a late hopping of Nectaron, which, as you might guess, adds flavors of juicy stone fruit. This variant of EtS won’t be canned, but I’m sure the flagship version will be floating around in December. Try to make a pit stop in Nyack. He is launching the food menu next week.

Reaction Score
New IPA from Trillium. Quite nice. Orange, soft malt, not too heavy.
View attachment 80830
So I started my craft beer drinking career when I was in Boston ‘12-15 and will never forget when trillium was a total hole in the wall in Fort Point nobody knew about with a capacity of 6 because of how small the tasting “bar” was. Spent lots of time at the harpoon beer hall after they built it; before that, went at least once a month for a tour that ends with a 30 minute open bar with R+D stuff.

Now I’ve been in SD going on 7 years and initially, when I got here as a 26 year old, dove into all the crazy IPAs every other brewery was making. Nearly every time I go back to Boston (4-5 times now), I make it a point to get to the waterfront to go to the big brewery and kitchen.

Generally speaking, IPAs have become not very enjoyable for me. Everyone has been pumping out all these crazy double and triple IPAs that often don’t even taste great.

Have you noticed any momentum away from that trend?

Reaction Score
So I started my craft beer drinking career when I was in Boston ‘12-15 and will never forget when trillium was a total hole in the wall in Fort Point nobody knew about with a capacity of 6 because of how small the tasting “bar” was. Spent lots of time at the harpoon beer hall after they built it; before that, went at least once a month for a tour that ends with a 30 minute open bar with R+D stuff.

Now I’ve been in SD going on 7 years and initially, when I got here as a 26 year old, dove into all the crazy IPAs every other brewery was making. Nearly every time I go back to Boston (4-5 times now), I make it a point to get to the waterfront to go to the big brewery and kitchen.

Generally speaking, IPAs have become not very enjoyable for me. Everyone has been pumping out all these crazy double and triple IPAs that often don’t even taste great.

I mean while there is still an abundance of monster IPAs, I’ve seen more and more breweries offering a range of styles. If you look at what Tree House offers - their menu ranges from all kinds of IPAs to lagers to pilsners to styles I’ve never heard of before. Tree House isn’t the only brewery to be mixing it up, from what I’ve seen.

Reaction Score

The short answer is “yes”. An emphatic yes. But all you need to do is take a peek in your SoCal backyard. Modern Times closing four locations before selling off to Maui Brewing. Stone selling to Sapporo. The west coast IPA is dead. Buried. RIP. The New England IPA is going nowhere because it is so freaking flavorful and brewed at such a high level by so many great specialty craft brewers. But palate fatigue for IPAs is occurring everywhere and traditional styles are growing in popularity rapidly. The other loser in 2022 is the fruited kettle sour (not to be confused with the sour IPA). The only people drinking that sugar-fruit puree slop (devoid of hops) on the regular anymore are potheads living in mom’s basement.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Nope. Because a really good IPA is still amazing.

Reaction Score
Nope. Because a really good IPA is still amazing.
So you’re still into the nigh-bitter 10% triple IPAs with 4 different hops, 3 of which you’ve never heard before?

That’s what I’m talking about

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom