Beer | Page 172 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am flying into CT Thursday evening, and have all day Friday to myself, and I want to explore the beer scene. I was planning on going to Treehouse, but anything else I need to do? I'll be staying in Orange.

Saw Hill Farmstead is releasing Clover again, and so I am debating making that trip, but I doubt it sticks around until Friday.

Vermont is a haul. But if you go I think the new top beer destination should be Lawson's in Waitsfield.
Treehouse is pretty easy trip from CT up 84. Beer'd in the Stonington area is good, but I have not visited. You could look into Tilted Barn in RI as well, but their open hours are iffy.

Reaction Score
I am flying into CT Thursday evening, and have all day Friday to myself, and I want to explore the beer scene. I was planning on going to Treehouse, but anything else I need to do? I'll be staying in Orange.

Saw Hill Farmstead is releasing Clover again, and so I am debating making that trip, but I doubt it sticks around until Friday.

Trillium in Boston just opened up a new gastropub that is expensive but quite nice if you don't want to trek as far as upstate VT, plus Treehouse is on the way.

Reaction Score
If your staying in Orange, you have 3 great options all within 10-15 mins of each other. Woodbridge has New England Brewing Company which is fantastic and is always releasing highly sought after beers. Milford has a brand new brewery called Tribus which has a fun atmosphere and collaborates with several nearby breweries. And then, if you really want to hit one of best ones in CT, head to Stratford for Two Roads. In my opinion, it doesn't get better than Two Roads. Beer is fantastic, and the atmosphere is exactly what you'd want in a brewery and it's quite large. It's quite festive this time of year and you will not be disappointed in the selection. There's even one right down the road from Two Roads called Fairfield Craft Ales, also in Stratford, but I've yet to hit that one up yet. All are neighboring towns of Orange so you don't have to go far from where you are staying, if you don't want to.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If your staying in Orange, you have 3 great options all within 10-15 mins of each other. Woodbridge has New England Brewing Company which is fantastic and is always releasing highly sought after beers. Milford has a brand new brewery called Tribus which has a fun atmosphere and collaborates with several nearby breweries. And then, if you really want to hit one of best ones in CT, head to Stratford for Two Roads. In my opinion, it doesn't get better than Two Roads. Beer is fantastic, and the atmosphere is exactly what you'd want in a brewery and it's quite large. It's quite festive this time of year and you will not be disappointed in the selection. There's even one right down the road from Two Roads called Fairfield Craft Ales, also in Stratford, but I've yet to hit that one up yet. All are neighboring towns of Orange so you don't have to go far from where you are staying, if you don't want to.

To piggyback on this post, you also have Bad Sons in Derby. I'm pretty sure they're releasing that Campfire beer in collaboration with Sierra Nevada this week, and their other stuff is pretty good too. Also, Counter Weight in Hamden is very good; the brewer that was at NEBCO left there to open Counter Weight. I can second Two Roads for the atmosphere, good beer too. Obviously Tree House is about as good as it gets, although they usually don't do pours on Fridays. So I would only go there if you want to buy beer to take home with you.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You're going to fly into CT and then drive 100s of miles to drink/buy beer?

For other options CT has Counterweight, Fox Farm, Beer'd and New Park for you.

Reaction Score
You're going to fly into CT and then drive 100s of miles to drink/buy beer?

For other options CT has Counterweight, Fox Farm, Beer'd and New Park for you.

Kicking around options. I do not get to come out often so considering all options. I will be around all weekend, but Saturday going to URI vs Providence (cousin goes to URI), and then Sunday UConn vs Arizona. My aunt and uncle live in Orange, but they work all day Friday, so I will be by myself and want to explore.

Reaction Score
+1 on Two Roads, love their brews. In addition to these, there is also The Hops Company ("THC") right next door in Derby. Have heard very good things about it.

Reaction Score

As a fellow beer nerd, I would first have to know what your taste in beer is like?
IPAs, NEIPAs, Stouts, Sours, barrel aged beers etc..?

Also, can you name a few of your favorite beers (should help us narrow down the best breweries/beers to try in CT for you)

Reaction Score
As a fellow beer nerd, I would first have to know what your taste in beer is like?
IPAs, NEIPAs, Stouts, Sours, barrel aged beers etc..?

Also, can you name a few of your favorite beers (should help us narrow down the best breweries/beers to try in CT for you)

I love barrel aged saisons and sours. I don't mind stouts in the winter. I like hazy IPAs because I cannot get them in Kansas City.

I have loved all of the Tree House offerings I have tried, but I visit Side Project frequently and love DeGarde.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Friday cruising -Fox Farm & Beer'd are worth it but a bit out of the way ; Counter Weight and NEBCo are in the neighborhood of Orange - if you want to go near Hartford you can visit Firefly and Alvarium in New Britain/Bristol area; in the greater Hartford area -New Park Brewery in West Hartford is extraordinary, Stubborn Beauty and Forest City in Middletown are good, a new one in Manchester - Labyrinth Brewery is gorgeous and highly recommended Have Fun

Reaction Score
I love barrel aged saisons and sours. I don't mind stouts in the winter. I like hazy IPAs because I cannot get them in Kansas City.

I have loved all of the Tree House offerings I have tried, but I visit Side Project frequently and love DeGarde.

You mentioned HF. Have you been to Hill before? If not, I think it's worth going because it seems that's the scene you're into, Clover or not. It's a day trip haul, but it's a hajj.

Reaction Score
You mentioned HF. Have you been to Hill before? If not, I think it's worth going because it seems that's the scene you're into, Clover or not. It's a day trip haul, but it's a hajj.

I have been to Hill a couple times, so I was looking to go elsewhere this trip.

Reaction Score

You should check out OEC Brewing in Oxford (about 25 minutes from Orange). I was just there this past weekend and they have some great sours.

Reaction Score
New Park in West Hartford opens at 4 on Friday's and has IMO the best IPAs in the state. They haven't announced their lineup for this weekend yet, but it is always good and worth the 40 or so minutes from Orange. OEC Brewing in Oxford has a lot of funky aged stuff that sounds right up your alley as well. I think they open a little earlier at 2 on Fridays

Reaction Score
Surprised no one has mentioned Hog River in Hartford. I've found it to be much more fun than New Park and you can actually talk to the person next to you without screaming. City Steam has a new brewer (from Hooker?) and they've greatly improved their IPA selection as well.

Reaction Score
I have been to Hill a couple times, so I was looking to go elsewhere this trip.

Ok great!
With that said, here are (IMO) some good options for breweries you have to try in CT.

Sours/Belgians
OEC (sours) - they only brew sours here, but people who like sours rave about them
Kent Falls - a farmhouse brewery with a mix of farmhouse ales and IPAs (some hazy)
Overshores (Belgians) - They used to be an all Belgian brewery, but have since changed over to Belgians and a Gypsy brewery location...meaning that other brewers now use their space to brew their own beers. You will find some of their Belgians as well as other brewery IPAs/Stouts/Sours on tap

NEIPAs (hazy IPAs)
New Park Brewing (really good IPAs and also make good stouts/sours when available)
Fat Orange Cat - around 8 beers on tap, with 6 of them being good hazy IPAs. Also have cans to go
Fox Farm Brewery - usually have 2-3 hazy IPAs on tap as well as a stout and farmhouse ale

IPAs
New England Brewing Company (NEBCO) - makers of Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Gandhi Bot...nuff said. They usually have around 10 beers on tap (8 IPAs). Also make some good stouts ie Imperial Stout Trooper
Counterweight Brewing - (former brewer at NEBCO) good IPAs, stouts and a pilsner
Beer'd - good IPAs and some stouts
Relic Brewery - small place but he makes good IPAs (some hazy) and some Belgians when available. Also has an extensive list of whiskeys and bourbons to try
5 Churches - good IPAs and pretty damn good house made brick oven mini pizzas

Destination breweries
Two Roads - largest brewery in CT (our mini Sam Adams but with better beer), huge Tasting Room and tours
Stony Creek Brewery - really nice location right on water with outside seating....but beer IMO is meh
Kinsmen Brewing - pretty big beer hall (think octoberfest) with pretty good beer

This is not an all encompassing list by any means (I'm sure I missed a few), but with soo many breweries in CT (I read we have around 65 now) these are the ones I would check out.

Also they are spread out all around the state (with various hours) so I would check them out on a map to get an idea on where they are all located relative to one another.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Reaction Score
I appreciate all the knowledge, everyone! Lots of good options here to sift through.

Reaction Score
Hey.... I live in Orange

lots of good info above....not much new to add but my 2 cents...

If you land in Hartford and its still business hours..Hit Treehouse before heading south. They close at 8. Its worth it.

keeping it simple and local, so you're not Ubering around the state all day

NEBCO is a must... G-Bot, Double Fuzzy, Dose & Double Deuce all on draft right now
Counterweight has good choices
Two Roads is awesome.

I would make a trek to the Dew Drop Inn in Derby for lunch... Always a good selection of beers and awesome/fun wing choices.

I'd pass on Bad Sons and Stony Creek(even though the location is great)

Reaction Score
Parable in Manchester. Nice venue with the brewer from Steady Habits. They have stand up comedy this Saturday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a little advice if you go up to Tree House on Friday. They open at noon but if you want shorter lines go around 2:30, after the initial rush and before the late afternoon crowd. They don't always have the taproom open on Fridays but a lot of the time they do in the middle of the day when it's not that crowded. They'll announce on Twitter if they've opened the tap room.

ON TAP — Tree House Brewing Co.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom