Becoming an AA-- is it outdated or in need of revisions? | The Boneyard

Becoming an AA-- is it outdated or in need of revisions?

Reaction Score
I know that there are different organisations out there annointing D1 players with AA status. Each having their own core elements, etc., thus the AP divides their annointees into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams. And of course many of us are happy when our favourites make it-- preferably 1st team; and we are unhappy when they are placed on the 2nd or 3rd team. We see it as criminal when they are, of course, left off completely (The Hon.mentioned is so seldomly seen, muchless read) I was really disappointed in Gabby not being 1st team and Nurse not being 2nd/3rd. But should that really matter? Are they not all AA? Am I sifting the gold from the doss in thinking that there are AA and AA? If so, why not just have one big team and drop the incitement to think A, B, and C levels? My point is this. In the old days it was possible to identify quite readily 5 players that were really a cut above the rest- even a novice like me could do so. Today, however, the skill levels of players are so good that you do a dis-service to many by glossing over just a few noisy things like shooting prowness, etc. . Gabby is a good example.WoudUconn be in the mix for a NC without her iron-woman work day-in and day-out? The same could be said for Kia, I think? Is it about points scored, potentialities, visibility, after all being said? Had Uconn gone winless against, FL, Baylor and ND would any of its player be in the conversation? My recc.: increase the nos, publish a detailed set of criteria (points should not be the most important thing) that all can check off, and reward players over teams.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think for many schools, it doesn't matter which AA Team their players are on. I've seen many tweets from schools announcing one of their players made All American, even though they may have been 2nd or 3rd team selections. I think for many being named to the WBCA All American team is the most important as the players get recognized during F4 week and receive plaques in front of National Media and fans attending the F4.

Obviously for UConn fans, being Named on the WBCA All American team is important because of the Husky Wall of Honor. All other WBB fans could care less baout UConn players as many UConn fans don't care about players from other teams being named an All American.

I'll post it hear as I'm creating this post while on the Dan Patrick show. Seton O'Connor has made a bet with Dan Patrick that he's predicting So Carolina will win the National Championship and will take a Pie to the Face if it doesn't happen. Dan Patrick has taken the bet picking UConn to win National Championship. Made a comment that Seton might be in trouble if Katie-Lou starts hitting three point shots.

Reaction Score
I don't want to jump on the band wagon to modify, change, devalue or be shed of the current methods of selection---
But it angers me that to many groups --Scoring is the criterion for selection.
The groups that make the selection don't realize there are REAL fans of the game--and scoring is only a part--that see more than excellence in the game/play of many BB players. Gabby Williams is one. She has: scoring when no one else scores, defends (rebound, steals, causes the other teams to adjust their offense, excellent passer, is an important cog in a top team, I could go on and on --but only to deaf ears. AA's should be about more than scoring --as should PLAYER of the year. AA and Players should be all around threats--if Gabby isn't exactly that---you can erase this posting .

Reaction Score
I think for many schools, it doesn't matter which AA Team their players are on. I've seen many tweets from schools announcing one of their players made All American, even though they may have been 2nd or 3rd team selections. I think for many being named to the WBCA All American team is the most important as the players get recognized during F4 week and receive plaques in front of National Media and fans attending the F4.

Obviously for UConn fans, being Named on the WBCA All American team is important because of the Husky Wall of Honor. All other WBB fans could care less baout UConn players as many UConn fans don't care about players from other teams being named an All American.

I'll post it hear as I'm creating this post while on the Dan Patrick show. Seton O'Connor has made a bet with Dan Patrick that he's predicting So Carolina will win the National Championship and will take a Pie to the Face if it doesn't happen. Dan Patrick has taken the bet picking UConn to win National Championship. Made a comment that Seton might be in trouble if Katie-Lou starts hitting three point shots.

The colored portion above--is one of the most factual comments on the Board.

Still National recognition for any player or team is important--and I believe necessary to acknowledge excellence--also I am less than sure real excellence, in ALL AROUND excellence, is being acknowledged.

Reaction Score
I don't want to jump on the band wagon to modify, change, devalue or be shed of the current methods of selection---
But it angers me that to many groups --Scoring is the criterion for selection.
The groups that make the selection don't realize there are REAL fans of the game--and scoring is only a part--that see more than excellence in the game/play of many BB players. Gabby Williams is one. She has: scoring when no one else scores, defends (rebound, steals, causes the other teams to adjust their offense, excellent passer, is an important cog in a top team, I could go on and on --but only to deaf ears. AA's should be about more than scoring --as should PLAYER of the year. AA and Players should be all around threats--if Gabby isn't exactly that---you can erase this posting .

I think this is true of all sports including the pros- if you rack up huge offensive stats you're going to get honors no matter how bad you are at other aspects of the game. It really is too bad.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know of two players who could care less right now whether they make any AA teams, and that would be Gabby & Kia. For these two remarkable young ladies, it's all about the team winning the next two games. Anything else is gravy.

Reaction Score
Picking All American teams is art not science. It is impossible for the panel selecting the teams to see all the games of the top candidates or even more than a handful of their games. Remember most teams don't have more than one or two games a year on national TV. I'm not sure Kelsey Plum played three games on TV (on the East coast) before the tournament. Voters have to rely to a significant extent on statistics.

It is hard to measure intangibles. It's hard to measure value to a team. Do we measure only the games against top opponents? Do we value consistency? How do we measure how the quality of the other players on the team fits in? Do the UConn players have it easier because they can rarely be double-teamed because they play with four other great players? Are they marked down because they don't have to create their own shot all the time because of the offense they run and the fact that their teammates pass the ball so well? How do you take into account that another player has to fight through a game plan designed to stop them because the opposing team knows that if they don't score (or rebound or pass out assists) their team cannot make up the deficit? How do you measure defense in all this? Should a player get penalized because their team plays mostly zone to cover for other players?

Statistics help you measure across some of the that. They do not give the whole picture. They can also be misread. They are not foolproof. But when you talk about intangibles or value to a team it is very, very difficult to tell unless you see a lot of all the teams games and factor in may issues that you just can't in this context.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" applies here.

For those who vote, points per game is the easiest factor to judge.The higher the average, better. Most who vote probably have not seen several games of the candidates. So points is the easy number.

But I agree, Kia and Gabby would rather have that trophy that says National Champion!

Reaction Score
Very tough to select five for the first, second and third teams. I think they got it pretty close to right, all very subjective mind you. My beef is with the kid from Washington, Osahor. I have to applaud her effort and abilities but given who's out there I think it's a reach for her to be second team AA. Honorable Mention would in my mind be more fitting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Whenever a Committee decides anything politics break out. Considerations of region and conference, at least, intrude. Kia was more than a little slighted and there are others for all I know who fall in that category. Doris was talking Kia too in the telecast of the Oregon game. Kia is a Nat'l Hero in Canada and I'm sure they are spitting some nails. All NCAA team selection would help. The confusing array of AA teams and POYs, etc., just the nature of modern sports marketing/promotion. But, gotta hold the line on "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome.

Reaction Score
Whenever a Committee decides anything politics break out. Considerations of region and conference, at least, intrude. Kia was more than a little slighted and there are others for all I know who fall in that category. Doris was talking Kia too in the telecast of the Oregon game. Kia is a Nat'l Hero in Canada and I'm sure they are spitting some nails. All NCAA team selection would help. The confusing array of AA teams and POYs, etc., just the nature of modern sports marketing/promotion. But, gotta hold the line on "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome.

I love Kia and she is integral to UConn's success. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Kia didn't make the All-Conference First Team for the American Conference. Now we might think that was an injustice but it is quite a leap to say that a second team all conference player should be a second or third team All-American.

I love the UConn women as much as the next Boneyarder but we have to have some perspective.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The thing with lists of greatest, is that everybody has their own opinion and criteria regardless of what greatness is being categorized - greatest paintings, greatest wines, greatest albums, or greatest in a sport or across sports. They are fun, and when dealing with contemporary competitive pursuits they are a way of acknowledging effort and success in an area of expertise. We have Nobel Prizes and when the one for Physics comes out, every Physician (joke) has an opinion for why their favorite was shafted!
We WCBB fans have all sorts of awards and honors to debate and we often can't decide among ourselves which Uconn player is MVP of our own team and trying to decide the MVP and best starting five in the history of the program leads to 500 posts and no conclusion. So is it any wonder that we have issue with the decisions made by some faceless committee on MVPs and AAs? They are dealing with 340+ teams and 3500+ players and choosing 15 'best' in any order is daunting. Choosing 32 at large teams and sequencing them is fraught with controversy.

The HOH award internally at Uconn has only increased Uconn fans' partisanship, but again trying to decide among ourselves who we would add that didn't make it is equally contentious.

I like the AA lists and the other awards. As Uconn fans we have had much more that our 'fair share' of honorees and we have probably had many more honorees with 'questionable stats' than any other program because our team stats have easily eclipsed other contenders. DT, never near the top in any offensive or defense stat for example. Morgan Tuck as well. So just because some Uconn player doesn't get honored in a particular year is no reason to throw out the process. Kia will likely never make a first team AA and probably shouldn't - it doesn't in anyway diminish her importance to the team, or the fact that without her the team would have less success. And that is true for most players in the country who aren't even talked about as being in contention. I believe Gabby and Napheesa and Lou will all be on the WBCA 10 player first team, but I could live with any one of them being 'snubbed' and on a 5 player team ... I am pretty pleased that two made it. And I am extremely glad that Saniya made all regional team. And the fact that there are three or four entities handing out awards expands the list of honorees. And having rankings of first second and third expands the honorees but also gives some ranking to them.

I also don't think the expansion of talent has had any effect on the debate - we have been having these debates for as long as I have followed the sport. And honestly, a lot of the passion generated is 'sour grapes'. But it drives conversation and debate and that doesn't hurt the sport.

NB - Lieberman award winner is an example where raw stats have meant nothing most years - very few winners have led in assists, A/TO, or scoring, though most have been on #1 or 2 seeded teams in the NCAA. And NPOY is another where scoring average has definitely not been the main criteria.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love Kia and she is integral to UConn's success. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Kia didn't make the All-Conference First Team for the American Conference. Now we might think that was an injustice but it is quite a leap to say that a second team all conference player should be a second or third team All-American.

I love the UConn women as much as the next Boneyarder but we have to have some perspective.

Knew I would be misunderstood. I only mentioned that in the context of the OP's question. I want Kia to get some individual award because though the Sophomores have grown up quick and Gabby is Gabby, she's key to the way this starting 5 ran all year. Totally agree we have to have perspective and we cannot see 5 AA teams 15. Or 15 Regional AAs on 4 teams, then 1 "real" AA team of 10 or some other whacked format so "everybody gets a trophy."

Reaction Score
Knew I would be misunderstood. I only mentioned that in the context of the OP's question. I want Kia to get some individual award because though the Sophomores have grown up quick and Gabby is Gabby, she's key to the way this starting 5 ran all year. Totally agree we have to have perspective and we cannot see 5 AA teams 15. Or 15 Regional AAs on 4 teams, then 1 "real" AA team of 10 or some other whacked format so "everybody gets a trophy."
Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I know of two players who could care less right now whether they make any AA teams, and that would be Gabby & Kia. For these two remarkable young ladies, it's all about the team winning the next two games. Anything else is gravy.

Relevant tweet to this discussion (from Jordin Canada)

Reaction Score
I
I won't disagree with you----Team winning is good and nice to do and to hang a picture of the team winning the NC is great.
There is nothing in this world that a human likes more---personal recognition. That is why in the younger set award after award is handed out just for showing up. Gabby and Kia do one hell of a lot more than showing up--I know you know that--
It is beyond belief to think these kids would not love to have All American after their names--and the award to hang in their homes.
Humans like to be recognized--even those that profess not to --I have dodged that but in hindsight--I liked those plaques on my wall.
I know at this point you are right--their focus is the next game and both will give you to see---ALL AMERICAN PERFORMANCES.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
If Gabby Willaims isn't a 1st team AA..the award has NO meaning.

Period.
HIGHLY Accurate DO NOT demean AA UCONN has the best --LIKE IT OR NOT Look at results !!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Very tough to select five for the first, second and third teams. I think they got it pretty close to right, all very subjective mind you. My beef is with the kid from Washington, Osahor. I have to applaud her effort and abilities but given who's out there I think it's a reach for her to be second team AA. Honorable Mention would in my mind be more fitting.
Uh, did you see Osahor's rebounding numbers?

Reaction Score
Uh, did you see Osahor's rebounding numbers?
Impressive but contextual. Again, I can't help but be impressed with what she does on the court but I just don't think it translates to 2nd team AA..

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
For all of the people who demand that Gabby be first team AA because scoring isn't everything, what about a player who averages 16 rebounds per game and 4 assists per game along with scoring 16 ppg? That would be one less assist per game than Gabby but seven more rebounds per game.

16 ppg, 15 rpg, and 4 rpg. Better or worse than Gabby? More or less deserving than Gabby?

Reaction Score

I can speak for a few maybe many who would vote for the All Canadian American award for Ms Nurse--mine among many.
Only as one born in the USA (I think I can write a tune to that)--I can only speak as an American of Canadian heritage---
I hope she is a Canadian National Hero--I'm sure there are 4 to 10 million very young women who want to be Kia when they grow up.
When I "mature" I want to be every thing Mature about Kia.

Reaction Score
Relevant tweet to this discussion (from Jordin Canada)

Big O---she may tweet that 30 times a day---I want to see the tweet after the award was given. I have seen yea many individuals in line for an award--speaking about how meaningless and near worthless the award was---then got it ---the tune changed and the glow began.
Don't always accept what a tweet or spoken words mean --often they cover a lot of emotions.
Now if the spoke of not wanting it after she got it---I want to see that tweet---I won't accept--my team mates deserve this more than I--that's comment is written on a Ethiopian graves site some where

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom