Beating Iona's Press..Boneyard Version | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Beating Iona's Press..Boneyard Version

Reaction Score
Who do I want inbounding? The first person to grab the ball after it goes through the hoop, as quickly as possible.
This is what Florida did last year in the NIT and it worked very well for them. Iona a lot of the time wasn't able to set up their pressure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hawk is a no.

Karaban needs to be the inbounder. He's a really friggen good passer. Having your best ballhandler (Newton) inbounding the ball doesn't make much sense.
Karaban has to be the target at midcourt if we are trying to run a break against the press. If we are going to let them slow us down, then he can inbound.

Reaction Score
Karaban has to be the target at midcourt if we are trying to run a break against the press. If we are going to let them slow us down, then he can inbound.

Eh, I disagree on this one, but I don't actually have any evidence to back it up. Karaban is not great at leading a break--his inclination is to slow it down. I'd much rather have the ball in Andre, Jordan, or Newton's hands if we're trying to run against the press. Karaban would be better served as a trailing 3-point shooter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eh, I disagree on this one, but I don't actually have any evidence to back it up. Karaban is not great at leading a break--his inclination is to slow it down. I'd much rather have the ball in Andre, Jordan, or Newton's hands if we're trying to run against the press. Karaban would be better served as a trailing 3-point shooter.
Exactly. So I don't want him on the inbounds side of half court at all. I want him across the half court line as a big target that can receive a pass from Jackson or Newton over the press and then make smart decisions to attack, pass to Sanogo or hold up to run the half court offense. I like Newton inbounding to Andre or Hawk/Alleyne who can quickly give it back to Newton if needed or move it up court with pace. When Clingan is in, you might use him as the target across half court.

But we'll see what Dan comes up with.

Reaction Score
Exactly. So I don't want him on the inbounds side of half court at all. I want him across the half court line as a big target that can receive a pass from Jackson or Newton over the press and then make smart decisions to attack, pass to Sanogo or hold up to run the half court offense. I like Newton inbounding to Andre or Hawk/Alleyne who can quickly give it back to Newton if needed or move it up court with pace. When Clingan is in, you might use him as the target across half court.

But we'll see what Dan comes up with.
Agree, I think its a combo of AJ & Newton bringing the ball up together - whomever is closer when the basket is made inbounds to the other & sticks around for diagonal pass if they trap. I'd guess Hurley starts with Andre doing most of the inbounding as he's closest to basket and has athleticism to counter the 7-footer contesting.
If Iona goes with a harder trap (>3 pressuring ball or denying) then Karaban is an inbounder with Jackson as 2nd pass to quickly transition to offense exploiting the press.

Reaction Score
I would try a wrinkle like using 2 inbounders spaced on the baseline. If the ball starts with Andre, he could give and go with the other inbounder. Just have to outrun the 7footer
This is the answer.
7'0 Shema can’t guard both inbounders. This also negates Iona’s corner double trap. They can’t put a double trap on both corners.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In order to break a press the first and best option is for the player nearest to the ball grab it and get it in bounds asap.
You only set specific plays/schemes if you can’t get it in quick.
After an opponent basket the team has to be drilled to have that player closest to the ball grab it, pass it and go. Every player has to be adept at throwing/passing the ball in with accuracy and proper pace.
Can you do this in 5 day practices? Players have to have bb iq and court vision.
It’s possible

Reaction Score
With all due respect, this is unnecessary. Other than coach (not a knock on Hurley), Iona doesn't come close to matching UConn. Quite frankly, the same thing is true in round two.

Pitino may have a plan to keep it close for a while, but I only see two screenshots for this game: UConn slowly pulls away in the final 10 minutes, or it's a blowout.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, this is unnecessary. Other than coach (not a knock on Hurley), Iona doesn't come close to matching UConn. Quite frankly, the same thing is true in round two.

Pitino may have a plan to keep it close for a while, but I only see two screenshots for this game: UConn slowly pulls away in the final 10 minutes, or it's a blowout.
Good to know.. Take down the Squid for BE Nation

Reaction Score

We’ve gotten burned the last few years, we’re not exactly a trusting bunch at this point

Reaction Score
If they press us we’re going to be up 20 at halftime. I don’t think they can stop us in the half court either, but if Iona wants to speed up the game against us then I’m all for it. The more possessions in the game the more of a chance we will win because we have more talent on both sides of the ball. That being said, we’re Doomed

Reaction Score
We’ve gotten burned the last few years, we’re not exactly a trusting bunch at this point

Uncle Phil Meme GIFs | Tenor

We're not all crying ourselves to sleep over this one.

Reaction Score
Uncle Phil Meme GIFs | Tenor

We're not all crying ourselves to sleep over this one.
Nor am I.. Pressing is one of the few weapons that Pitino may have to make our day a little more challenging on Friday..IMO..Our precision in breaking the press(es) thrown at us(recently) has been somewhat lacking.. Iona/VCU use them as weapons whenever possible..I am confident that DH/staff have tightened up that part of our game this week in practice in anticipation of seeing pressing teams on Friday/Sunday..

Expect us to get out of Albany and onto a winnable game vs Kansas next weekend.

Reaction Score
How'd it work out? My first gut instinct tells me this is advantage defense - akin to defense in football but without the built in rules that are an offensive advantage in football... There seems to be less offensive spacing than there'd be in traditional press solutions. It seems like if you tried this enough (I e. large enough sample size) you'd have more turnovers, more 5 second calls, less easy buckets down the other end, and more offensive fouls as opposed to traditional methods. Anybody have any data/observations?

Reaction Score
Here's the deal depending on the pressure Rick decides to throw at us our guys should be more than prepared. Our coaching staff has had plenty of time to look at film and work on it with the players. My preference is Alex taking it in, looks like he can throw overhanded as well which is important. We saw Aj try to didn't work out well in one particular game plus I like his flashing after the first pass and pushing the ball. Our guys need to be aggressive in attacking after the initial pass and run the ball, take control of the pace.

Just keep it out of the corners please. I am sure the staff will have enough time to make our guys prepared for this onslaught of pressure. And throwing it into a 7'2" guy who can pass either direction on the fly is a nice option too. But that's tough, not enough minutes.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Playing defense is an obvious solution if you're throwing a shutout..This is BB.. Iona is going to make shots/Fts.. Don't know about you but I was getting a little nervous during Providence game and their 26-5 run using their press vs us and our inefficiency on inbounds passing/avoiding traps/telegraphing lazy passes.

Believe we win on Fri.. Among other things--based on our ability to break the press..
Totally agree. And Pitino is the consummate Press coach. Our ability to break that press early and often will dictate which coach is going to impose their will on the other. Not really looking forward to this game but this will tell us a lot about Uconn and just how well coached they have been in this respect. I still have bad dreams about Louisville tearing us apart when Pitino was coach there. But there will not be a Peyton Siva there this time and this is not Louisville. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Here's the deal depending on the pressure Rick decides to throw at us our guys should be more than prepared. Our coaching staff has had plenty of time to look at film and work on it with the players. My preference is Alex taking it in, looks like he can throw overhanded as well which is important. We saw Aj try to didn't work out well in one particular game plus I like his flashing after the first pass and pushing the ball. Our guys need to be aggressive in attacking after the initial pass and run the ball, take control of the pace.

Just keep it out of the corners please. I am sure the staff will have enough time to make our guys prepared for this onslaught of pressure. And throwing it into a 7'2" guy who can pass either direction on the fly is a nice option too. But that's tough, not enough minutes.
Yes please avoid the corners. Saw too many cases where UConn was trapped. One is too many.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. And Pitino is the consummate Press coach. Our ability to break that press early and often will dictate which coach is going to impose their will on the other. Not really looking forward to this game but this will tell us a lot about Uconn and just how well coached they have been in this respect. I still have bad dreams about Louisville tearing us apart when Pitino was coach there. But there will not be a Peyton Siva there this time and this is not Louisville. Fingers crossed.
If you have nightmares about Louisville I suggest you watch the 2011 BET title game where UConn won their 5th straight game in their 5th straight night or better yet the 2009 game where #1 UConn visited #5 Louisville and demolished them by suffocating them in the half court D which limited the number of times Louisville could set up the press and when they did set it up, it got carved to pieces.

Reaction Score
If they press us we’re going to be up 20 at halftime. I don’t think they can stop us in the half court either, but if Iona wants to speed up the game against us then I’m all for it. The more possessions in the game the more of a chance we will win because we have more talent on both sides of the ball. That being said, we’re Doomed

This. If you're the less talented team, the recipe for success is usually to minimize possessions and hit your shots. More possessions is not a good thing with a talent discrepancy. Pressing is a good way for a low-major to dominate their own conference... doesn't work so well playing a better team. If they press is your main weapon, you're screwed as soon as a team beats it.

My teams ALWAYS pressed a lot in our conference because we were usually fast enough to beat most conference opponents with it, and we only had a few basketball-first players in any given year. I made the state tournament 6 years in a row with a team that hadn't had a winning record in almost a decade. You better believe when we played East Catholic and Windsor, we nixed the press and played slower (and still got our asses kicked, lol).

I think our defense is going to be good enough to minimize their opportunities to press at all anyways, however.

Reaction Score
IONA back court both JENKINS and CLAYTON would be starters at UCONN .
I know UCONN is a powerhouse program and the UCONN front line is fantastic but buckle up because IONA is very talented.
If by some miracle IONA is leading late in the game , the ball will find its way to CLAYTON . he makes 95% of his free throws.
Bottom line , don't let IONA hang around , they are dangerous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom