OT: - bear (tv show) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: bear (tv show)

Reaction Score
I actually enjoyed the Forks episode more than the Christmas one, but its an unbelievable TV show

Forks and the Copenhagen episode were my favorites of the season. Just a beautiful show.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Season 1 episode that looks like it was filmed in one take is incredible too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm in the middle of episode one. Does it slow the hell down eventually? 20 min in and my blood pressure is about to pop.

I kept wanting to turn Season 2, Episode 7 off because it was so stressful to watch. It felt like there was no way Richie could hold it together for another second.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Most underrated character on the show is Pete. They all dump on him all the time and make him feel awkward and he's nothing but nice. His scene with Donna was heartbreaking.
Agree. The scene with Donna may have been the most powerful in the Friends and Family episode though there are a lot of good ones. Pete's reaction afterwards is great.

CL82

Reaction Score
The cameos in Seven Fishes were amazing.....from Jamie Lee to Odenkirk, Mullaney, etc....
Mullaney was like an "everyman" character in that episode. I love his reaction when they ask him to say grace.

Reaction Score
I really liked season 1, watched the 1st 3 or 4 episodes of season 2 and didn't understand what the hype for season 2 was all about. The second half of the second season was friggin' OUTSTANDING. The chocolate banana??? Such a cool little piece.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I really liked season 1, watched the 1st 3 or 4 episodes of season 2 and didn't understand what the hype for season 2 was all about. The second half of the second season was friggin' OUTSTANDING. The chocolate banana??? Such a cool little piece.
Agree. A flip switched during 7 Fishes. I didn’t really need 45 minutes of Marcus baking and then helping a guy with a fence in his neck. It really really picked up in the second part of the season though.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What happened to this thread? I know I posted in it and the posts are gone. And Post 1 is a continuance.

Reaction Score
Agree. A flip switched during 7 Fishes. I didn’t really need 45 minutes of Marcus baking and then helping a guy with a fence in his neck. It really really picked up in the second part of the season though.
I just rewatched 7 Fishes tonight. Absolutely epic with perfect cameos. And knowing now about the chocolate banana? I definitely didn't appreciate that scene enough the first time.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched 7 Fishes tonight. Absolutely epic with perfect cameos. And knowing now about the chocolate banana? I definitely didn't appreciate that scene enough the first time.

Agree 7 Fishes is just amazing TV. Also, the hyperfocus Carmy has on the cannoli is a great setup for the scene where Marcus debuts the specialty Michael cannoli.

There are justso many nuggets and easter eggs even in the episodes earlier in the season (the ones you found slow/boring)...that tie into later events. it's really a brilliantly-written show. I'm in the process of re-watching it all since I really missed so many of the little details...

I thought the Copenhagen episode was great just for the escape from the craziness...

I thought the conversations between Marcus & Luca were great...

There are a bunch of clues about Carmy essentially being such a king- mega-boss chef (we kinda already knew it, but there's bits and scraps of things that accumulate through the early episodes that give you an idea of how influential he's been in his travels & experiences)

The invisible cat symbolism was really cool...

Reaction Score
Agree 7 Fishes is just amazing TV. Also, the hyperfocus Carmy has on the cannoli is a great setup for the scene where Marcus debuts the specialty Michael cannoli.

There are justso many nuggets and easter eggs even in the episodes earlier in the season (the ones you found slow/boring)...that tie into later events. it's really a brilliantly-written show. I'm in the process of re-watching it all since I really missed so many of the little details...

I thought the Copenhagen episode was great just for the escape from the craziness...

I thought the conversations between Marcus & Luca were great...

There are a bunch of clues about Carmy essentially being such a king- mega-boss chef (we kinda already knew it, but there's bits and scraps of things that accumulate through the early episodes that give you an idea of how influential he's been in his travels & experiences)

The invisible cat symbolism was really cool...

Have to admit, been reading some reddit threads and the level of writing detail is just so intricate. Too much for my middle-aged mind to remember!

Like when Ebra didn't want to wear the uniform at culinary school...I couldn't place why, but in S1, there's some dialogue where he talks about being in the Somalian army and Mogadishu...completed forgot about all that.

Again, brilliant writing...

Reaction Score
Have to admit, been reading some reddit threads and the level of writing detail is just so intricate. Too much for my middle-aged mind to remember!

Like when Ebra didn't want to wear the uniform at culinary school...I couldn't place why, but in S1, there's some dialogue where he talks about being in the Somalian army and Mogadishu...completed forgot about all that.

Realize maybe I should spoiler some of this stuff for those still working through the series...

Thinking more over lunch...

7 Fishes really set the stage for many of the characters' understandable traumatic disdain for forks...

for Richie early on in the "Forks" episode...that must have been absolutely brutal having to look at, handle, and polish so many darn forks...

and for Carmy...who was in charge of ordering enough forks for opening night...but somehow (not surprisingly), they end up woefully short on forks (Ebra has to run out and try to buy a bunch more in the middle of service)

CL82

Reaction Score

Wow, I completely missed that.

There's a lot to like about the show and especially season two. I really appreciated the redemption of Richie. He had become an annoying character that I could have done without, up to Forks.

Reaction Score
Wow, I completely missed that.

There's a lot to like about the show and especially season two. I really appreciated the redemption of Richie. He had become an annoying character that I could have done without, up to Forks.

Probably one of the best redemption-arcs in a series that I can remember...

Also, another random mind-blower detail I missed:

In the last episode, when Marcus opens and reads the note from Luca, he signed it "Luca #33"...Scottie Pippen's jersey number...in reference to the Jordan/Pippen discussion they had in Copenhagen. Brilliant... /SPOILER]

Reaction Score
Probably one of the best redemption-arcs in a series that I can remember...

Also, another random mind-blower detail I missed:

In the last episode, when Marcus opens and reads the note from Luca, he signed it "Luca #33"...Scottie Pippen's jersey number...in reference to the Jordan/Pippen discussion they had in Copenhagen. Brilliant... /SPOILER]
They need to do a play on No Tippin' Pippen.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I loved season one. Worked in restaurant during high school and they perfectly captured the stress of a kitchen during a meal rush time.The attention to detail was impeccable.

I didn’t like season 2. Seven fishes episo had the stress but was over the top and detracted from the reality captured in season 1. Too much focus on relationships imo. And the final episode with the walk in cooler was just insanely unrealistic. How does a show that lured me in with realism and attention to detail suddenly ask me to suspend my disbelief?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I loved season one. Worked in restaurant during high school and they perfectly captured the stress of a kitchen during a meal rush time.The attention to detail was impeccable.

I didn’t like season 2. Seven fishes episo had the stress but was over the top and detracted from the reality captured in season 1. Too much focus on relationships imo. And the final episode with the walk in cooler was just insanely unrealistic. How does a show that lured me in with realism and attention to detail suddenly ask me to suspend my disbelief?
7 Fishes was necessary to explain a whole lot of things regarding family dynamics, and let's face it, most of the main characters are family or close childhood friends. I don't get how it "detracted from the realty".

As to 2nd point, every walk-in cooler I've ever entered - and there have been dozens - have that round knob you press in to get out. That should work regardless of whether the handle on the outside is broken off. I think that Richie stepping in and performing flawlessly as the expo was a bit too convenient. Even if he pulled it off while staging, every restaurant has its own flow, and Richie hadn't really paid much attention to that in Carm's kitchen. So you're correct there.

Reaction Score
I actually enjoyed the Forks episode more than the Christmas one, but its an unbelievable TV show
I agree. Watching Richie’s growth was a game changer for me.

Reaction Score

Yea the cooler was a bit of suspend your disbelief for the sake of the plot line.

But then, on the other hand, everything in the Beef was a total mess. And Carmy never got the cooler taken care of. It could very easily have been a piece of &)$)&&& that didn’t have a functioning opener from the inside…

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Yea the cooler was a bit of suspend your disbelief for the sake of the plot line.

But then, on the other hand, everything in the Beef was a total mess. And Carmy never got the cooler taken care of. It could very easily have been a piece of &)$)&&& that didn’t have a functioning opener from the inside…

Sure. Except that the handle had already broken off once so it got replaced with another breakaway handle but wasn’t fixed? And the restaurant passed a safety inspection in between those events? And the head chef was put on that job even though there was a maintenance guy? And when stuck in the cooler he pushes on the door but not the plunger that releases the door? And when they get someone to cut the door open you can clearly see the whole thing is attached with exposed screws?

I worked in a restaurant when young and love how the show captured the realism of line cooking. I have worked in construction for the last 35 years and there was nothing realistic about the remodeling of the restaurant. Nothing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Yeah, most walk-ins have the push knob to open the door from the inside. The issue with theirs was the outside handle. I am sure the health department would have required the interior push knob thingy.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you missed the entire point of the show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom