BE pays price for ignoring football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BE pays price for ignoring football

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

And this is the crux of the problem. What blue chip high school player is gone pass on playing at a secure BCS Big time program to come to UConn for an uncertain future in an unstable conference that makes no geographic sense. What kid is gonna want to play a teeny, tiny, no frills stadium against Kent States, Buffalos, Western Michigan's and Temple's of the world?
UConn was headed in the right direction when they were playing North Carolina, Virginia, Notre Dame, etc. Now it looks like things are going backwards. Will the talent be there when Tennessee and Michigan come a calling? I don't know????

^^^^ This is the whole ballgame right here. A BCS conference going forward will be subjectively defined as any conference where if you win it, you'll be invited to the BCS/playoff.

The NNBE won't meet that standard and will suffer in recruiting and TV $$ because of it. The ACC better hope FSU/Miami join the level of VT soon or they'll find themselves as a solid No. 5 year after year on the outside looking in.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
^^^^ This is the whole ballgame right here. A BCS conference going forward will be subjectively defined as any conference where if you win it, you'll be invited to the BCS/playoff.

Conventional wisdom at the moment has the auto-bid going away for all conferences (thank God), and a 4 team playoff that will eventually lead to an 8 team playoff. All good for the Big East.

I want the auto bid system to go away because I think it has been to the Big East's detriment. The auto-bid has given the Big East nothing but an extreme amount of ridicule.

Reaction Score
If you really believe that having Memphis and Temple in this conference would have made a whit of difference to Syracuse and Pitt, I don't know what to say. Memphis and Temple. Yes, we hate that we're now stuck with them, but Syracuse and Pitt would have been so happy ....

Memphis and Temple were discussed and dismissed in 2003, Crouthamel at Syracuse is on record, in official minutes of conference meetings, saying that if the league went forward and expanded in the manner that it was going, by adding te basketball only schools rather than strengthening the football conference, that he would resign as AD at Syracuse. We lost three football programs in 2003, and added three. We added two basketball only schools on top of that. That's what made Syracuse and Pitt ready to leave.

Crouthamel did resign. He might still be the AD at syracuse if not for the big east expanding the way it did in 2003 under Tranghese's direction.

It could have been done differently, and things would be different. There is literally an entire book that can be written about how the Big East could have made moves differently essentially starting in 1982 with the 5-3 vote about Penn STate, when they needed 6-2 to get Penn STate in - and the offer in 1982, and Gavitt wanted to go to Paterno at PSU with it - was to admit Penn STate in everythign but football at that point, much like the offer Notre Dame got in 1994.

The common theme that underlies everything the Big East did as a conference from 1979-2010, the principle goal of to elevate and promote and strengthen basketball. Every move, that was made, by the conference during that time period, including the formation of a football league in 1991 beginning formal play in 1992, was done for that purpose - to strengthen basketball.

Time has clearly proven that the premise was flawed. Basketball is not the driver. It does not diminish the importance or power of basketball, it's just perspective, and economics.

It wasn't until Marinatto took over, that moves around football started to be made, and with intercollegiate athletics economics priorities in line, we will be ok, and make the best of what we can moving forward until there is a true national playoff to determine a champion on the field of play.

Reaction Score

The NNBE won't meet that standard and will suffer in recruiting and TV $$ because of it. The ACC better hope FSU/Miami join the level of VT soon or they'll find themselves as a solid No. 5 year after year on the outside looking in.

Currently, every division 1-A football conference is by default a BCS conference. So this is not accurate.

The only question, is how to structure a playoff system. I hope that if/when it gets done, the people that are doing it, do it with the concept of an end product such that the 121 division 1-A football programs eventually exist among 10 or 12 conferences that are geographically aligned and regional rivalries are re-established. The rivalries in teh northeast are not the only ones that are being torn apart across the country.

Reaction Score
If you really believe that having Memphis and Temple in this conference would have made a whit of difference to Syracuse and Pitt, I don't know what to say. Memphis and Temple. Yes, we hate that we're now stuck with them, but Syracuse and Pitt would have been so happy ....

i think it would have helped a lot. back then we'd really have been just moving Temple from fb only to all sports and adding memphis as an all sport instead of depaul or marquette would have helped show that we weren't letting the bball onlies push us around, which is supposedly a big reason why they wanted to leave for an all sports conference. everyone wanted stability, and as much as i think the decisions are ultimately made for financial reasons, i also think a big reason why they left was that if they didn't they were afraid either UConn or RU would take their place and they'd be stuck in an even more watered down BE, which was probably a legitimate concern.

you have to keep in mind that we were in line to make more from our TV deal than the ACC before we got poached again, so as much as money matters, i think stability was of equal importance. whether they left or not they'd be getting more money, and i wonder how much money they'll really be making when you factor in travel. had anyone ever compared how much extra money BC's athletic department really has at the end of the day from the move? i have a hard time believing they're making that much more when you consider their strategy of hiring the cheapest lifers they can get to coach their teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom