BE 24-25 | The Boneyard

BE 24-25

Reaction Score
I’m enjoying the title afterglow, the portal and everything all great but then I start thinking how the preseason BE is stacking up. I happen to dislike slick Rick and St. John’s (he just got Richmond) and With so many or maybe all of our starters possibly gone it makes me wonder on what the early standings might be.

Reaction Score
I’m enjoying the title afterglow, the portal and everything all great but then I start thinking how the preseason BE is stacking up. I happen to dislike slick Rick and St. John’s (he just got Richmond) and With so many or maybe all of our starters possibly gone it makes me wonder on what the early standings might be.
UConn is easily the best team in the Big East next year. I'd put Creighton second. Marquette, Providence, Xavier as top 25 +/-. St. John's as the team separating the good teams from the bad (Seton Hall, Butler, Nova, DePaul, Georgetown). If I had to guess:

1. UConn (top 5 team)
2. Creighton (top 15 team)
3. Xavier (top 25ish)
4. Marquette (top 25ish)
5. Providence (top 25ish)
6. St. John's (right side of the bubble)
7. Seton Hall (NIT)
8. Butler (NIT)
9. Georgetown (bad)
10. Villanova (bad)
11. DePaul (bad)

I don't think the bad teams will be anywhere near as bad as last year.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
UConn is easily the best team in the Big East next year. I'd put Creighton second. Marquette, Providence, Xavier as top 25 +/-. St. John's as the team separating the good teams from the bad (Seton Hall, Butler, Nova, DePaul, Georgetown). If I had to guess:

1. UConn (top 5 team)
3. Xavier (top 25ish)
4. Marquette (top 25ish)
7. Seton Hall (NIT)
8. Butler (NIT)
9. Georgetown (bad)
10. Villanova (bad)
11. DePaul (bad)

PC might be in play as a bubble team, otherwise a bunch of guys who’ve won nothing and who knows when and what Hopkins shows up.

Reaction Score

1. UConn (top 5 team)
3. Xavier (top 25ish)
4. Marquette (top 25ish)
7. Seton Hall (NIT)
8. Butler (NIT)
9. Georgetown (bad)
10. Villanova (bad)
11. DePaul (bad)

St John's should be above PC.

Reaction Score
5-6 BE teams should get into the tourney next year but the top 1-3 wont be as good as this year. we should win again with creighton the only real threat.

if AK doesnt come back (but depending on who we get to replace him) i think our goal should be winning the BE and BET, getting a 3/4 seed, and making the sweet 16. Best case scenario for this team:

Diarra plays like Taliek Brown
Mahaney plays like Cam Spencer
McNeeley plays like Castle but better on O and worse on D
Stewart play's like Deandre Daniels
Reed plays like Josh Carlton on Houston

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5-6 BE teams should get into the tourney next year but the top 1-3 wont be as good as this year. we should win again with creighton the only real threat.

if AK doesnt come back (but depending on who we get to replace him) i think our goal should be winning the BE and BET, getting a 3/4 seed, and making the sweet 16.
If we win the BE and BET we should be a 2 at least.

Reaction Score

if AK doesnt come back (but depending on who we get to replace him) i think our goal should be winning the BE and BET, getting a 3/4 seed, and making the sweet 16. Best case scenario for this team:

I just want Diarra to play like Diarra

Reaction Score

I think you're significantly underselling the potential of this team. And I can't imagine why you think it's aspirational for Hassan to play like Taliek next year. With all due respect to Taliek.

Reaction Score
I think you're significantly underselling the potential of this team. And I can't imagine why you think it's aspirational for Hassan to play like Taliek next year. With all due respect to Taliek.
To play Like the defense-first starting PG on a chip team? I’d gladly take that for a guy that’s come off the bench the last 4 years

Reaction Score
1. UConn

2. St. Johns
3. Xavier (If Freemantle/Hunter stay healthy

4. Creighton
5. Marquette

6. Providence
7. Butler

8. Hall
9. Nova
10. GTown
11. DePaul

Ultimately not as high on Marquette or Creighton because of the losses to Kolek/Ighodaro & Alexander/Scheierman. Truthfully, I know there's still time, but I'm pretty bummed about the rest of the rosters in the league headed into next year. Nova needs to can Neptune ASAP before it's too late. It'd be great for the league to get them and/or GTown back into the fold as contenders. I wonder if Cooley's seat is warm with another dreadful season albeit his 2nd year.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Creighton might be the only other ranked team
Most too early polls have UConn, Creighton, Marquette and Xavier in top 25.
Providence and St. John’s in top 40.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I don’t think Hurley will be looking to “ replace “ Karaban if he stays in the draft. He will most likely add a body, but it will be very far down the depth chart. All the guys who stuck with us are going to get their whacks at it this season. He won’t recruit/portal add over them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
To play Like the defense-first starting PG on a chip team? I’d gladly take that for a guy that’s come off the bench the last 4 years
He was perfect for that team, but we will need Hass to be more than that, and he absolutely can be. There is no junior year level Okafor and Gordon on this roster. Balance across all positions is Hurleys way with this team, and a non scoring PG doesn’t work. Taliek wouldn’t be a great fit on next years team. He certainly was one in 04 though. Love him.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley will be looking to “ replace “ Karaban if he stays in the draft. He will most likely add a body, but it will be very far down the depth chart. All the guys who stuck with us are going to get their whacks at it this season. He won’t recruit/portal add over them.
If AK leaves I’d like a grad transfer stretch PF that can backup Stew for 15 mpg. Those are important minutes it’s what Samson was giving us as backup C this year. This transfer wouldn’t be taking away time from anyone that stuck with us since Abraham is a frosh

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He was perfect for that team, but we will need Hass to be more different than that, and he absolutely can be. There is no junior year level Okafor and Gordon on this roster. Balance across all positions is Hurleys way with this team, and a non scoring PG doesn’t work. Taliek wouldn’t be a great fit on next years team. He certainly was one in 04 though. Love him.
Fixed that for you. The game has changed so much in 20 years, I don't think any team can win a championship with a lead guard who only takes 5 threes all season. Basically 1 attempt every 8 games would be untenable in todays game and puts way too much pressure on the rest of the shooters and packs in the defense.

He has to be a threat from deep, limit turnovers, make good decisions and play close to the defense he's shown the last few years. He'll have to play more minutes, so he can't be as aggressive on defense. That will be the balance he needs to learn. Fewer fouls, maybe a few less steals.

Most of all he has to be the leader for an all new team with the loss of Newton and no (or one) returning starters.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley will be looking to “ replace “ Karaban if he stays in the draft. He will most likely add a body, but it will be very far down the depth chart.

I think he will try to replace AK with the best man available who is a fit for the team. He won't be intentionally adding "far down the depth chart" just to placate the current roster. We won't be competing for a championship next year if we are heavily depleted at the 4 position. We will need a player not a body.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If AK leaves I’d like a grad transfer stretch PF that can backup Stew for 15 mpg. Those are important minutes it’s what Samson was giving us as backup C this year. This transfer wouldn’t be taking away time from anyone that stuck with us since Abraham is a frosh
Pickings are slim for that specific combination. Basically just Jaxson Robinson (and maybe Coleman Hawkins) and he could stay in the draft.

Reaction Score
He was perfect for that team, but we will need Hass to be more than that, and he absolutely can be. There is no junior year level Okafor and Gordon on this roster. Balance across all positions is Hurleys way with this team, and a non scoring PG doesn’t work. Taliek wouldn’t be a great fit on next years team. He certainly was one in 04 though. Love him.
Fair. My thinking:

Taliek averaged 6ppg and 6.5apg in 30mpg. Diarra averaged 6ppg and 2.5apg in 20mpg last year so I’d be happy if he averaged 9 and 4 in 25mpg next year. I think he’ll be our 5th or 6th leading scorer and our lockdown perimeter defender.

Reaction Score

This is exactly what he said the other day. If Karaban leaves they’re looking for a “development guy” at the 4. I don’t know why people put zero stock in what the people who are actually making these decisions say they’re going to do.

Reaction Score
FWIW, here are the current 2025 Big East projections on Bart Torvik’s site, assuming Karaban returns. We drop to 19th if Karaban leaves, and go to 14th if we replace Karaban with Kasean Pryor.

Seton Hall has some work to do without Richmond.
IMG_5376.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom