BC struggles to compete in ACC. Why did ACC want them? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BC struggles to compete in ACC. Why did ACC want them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I asked. CTEagle has every right to reply.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy is correct and while the Viking is showing his arrogance. I love when UCONN fans say we are terrified of UCONN when historically(pre-and post ACC), we have always scheduled real football schools (not neophytes like UCONN) with national prominence.

Just a foolish and ignorant statement.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy is correct and while the Viking is showing his arrogance. I love when UCONN fans say we are terrified of UCONN when historically(pre-and post ACC), we have always scheduled real football schools (not neophytes like UCONN) with national prominence.

Well why won't you let us in? What are you afraid of?
Is it the fact that once we became good at hoops we beat you 15-20 straight times?
Or is it the fact that in less than 10 years of being Div 1-A we were putting better football teams on the gridiron than "storied" BC?

pj

Reaction Score

They didn't say terrified of the on-the-field competition, rather terrified of the off-the-field competition for university prestige and mindshare.

Of course playing Notre Dame is good for BC, even if they get whipped. But having a nearby school that surpasses them? That's terrifying to a university president.

Reaction Score
They didn't say terrified of the on-the-field competition, rather terrified of the off-the-field competition for university prestige and mindshare.

Of course playing Notre Dame is good for BC, even if they get whipped. But having a nearby school that surpasses them? That's terrifying to a university president.
True. And if UConn is ever in the same conference as BC it's not a question of "if" UConn surpasses them, it's "by how much" does UConn surpass them.

Reaction Score

UConn basketball vs BC basketball
1980: BC (with CT players), no contest
2000: UConn (with MA players), no contest

It is clear BC was worried about the same thing happening in FB.

Reaction Score
Lets not forget we beat ND 6-7 years before losing the last 3 . That has been an even series since it heated up.

That funny, I believe last I checked Harvard and MIT are just a few miles away from BC and they have more university prestige. Hell, Harvard has kicked our ass in BBALL the last 3 years and we still schedule them.

Next theory.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Contrapositively, an argument can be made that real football schools schedule Neophytes like Boston College.

Reaction Score
Ok Vowel guy answer this.
If what you say is true then why didn't BC try to block UCONN's invitation to Hockey East. Aren't we terrified you will steal away all the MA kids we get now in hockey?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Lets not forget we beat ND 6-7 years before losing the last 3 . That has been an even series since it heated up.

That funny, I believe last I checked Harvard and MIT are just a few miles away from BC and they have more university prestige. Hell, Harvard has kicked our ass in BBALL the last 3 years and we still schedule them.

Next theory.
WARNING! WARNING! THREAD HIJACK ATTEMPT DETECTED!!!

ATTEMPT AVERTED!!!

1) Harvard and MIT do not target the same recruits as BC.
2) BC is a fall back, academically, for Harvard and MIT applicants.

Husky25

Reaction Score
OH boy, Maybe you should look up the definition of Neophyte.
Why? BC has reverted to subservient amateur status with recent hiring and recruiting moves. It's not the top definition, but it is A definition of the word.

Reaction Score
If what you say is true then why didn't BC try to block UCONN's invitation to Hockey East. Aren't we terrified you will steal away all the MA kids we get now in hockey?
Let's not frame it as "fear." Let's just say they wanted to avoid "major" competition in the area.

I just don't see how you get around your own Athletic Director bragging about blocking UConn. I believe it because of his words.

Reaction Score
Husky 25

1)Haven't you seen the BC basketball team? Looks and plays a lot like an IVY team to me.
2) So we agree: BC is a fall back for Harvard and MIT applicants as Uconn is a fall back for BC applicants.
Oh wait, maybe not BC applicants don't usually fall that far back.

Reaction Score
Now it's this kind of mutual hatred that should bring Uconn/BC together within conference. It has regional blood rivalry all over it. In fact, would likely only enhance recruiting. Keep it coming, pray it happens, this is what sports are all about. We fret because we are in a wasteland right now, but if we ever get into the ACC, man, there is going to be some juice. The Cuse rivalry only gets more intense and you have BC. I'm praying the patience pays off.

For the football/bottom line sake, the BiG is where we want to be. For just good entertainment, it's the ACC.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Husky 25

1)Haven't you seen the BC basketball team? Looks and plays a lot like an IVY team to me.
2) So we agree: BC is a fall back for Harvard and MIT applicants as Uconn is a fall back for BC applicants.
Oh wait, maybe not BC applicants don't usually fall that far back.

No One has seen BC's basketball team. No one cares.
bc-student-section-lead.jpg

Aren't tickets included in tuition? Brrrr. Just got a chill from the intimidation.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nobody gives a sh•t about college hockey but BC. Did you really need an answer for that? I thought BC grads were smart?

Reaction Score
Let me ask you this CTEagle since you have no say in this but it will give us an insight into how you are thinking. Would YOU be in favor of Uconn going to the ACC? Why or why not?

Reaction Score
In the Geno thread he was talking about how as a Connecticut tax payer how it was disgraceful that he was paid that much (disregard no tax dollars pay his salary) so I would say he would absolutely want them to go since it will make more money for his state university.

Reaction Score
Nobody gives a sh•t about college hockey but BC. Did you really need an answer for that? I thought BC grads were smart?
Uh, the schools in Hockey East care about college hockey quite a bit, and none of them (at least openly) tried to stop UConn's admission.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Uh, the schools in Hockey East care about college hockey quite a bit, and none of them (at least openly) tried to stop UConn's admission.

It could very well be tougher to recruit in Hockey and thereforeUConn could be looked upon as sure thing wins for the conference for a few years. BC, as the best team in the country, doesn't see UConn as a thread, like they do in football, basketball, soccer, baseball, track and filed hockey.

Reaction Score
The ACC wanted BCU due to internal Miami politics. Also it is worthwhile to keep in mind that the last 4 years of BC sports have been appallingly bad relative to its overall history, which could be some kind of trend based on demographic shifts or other things but is probably more a factor of having a wounded megalomaniac running the show.

The politics: Miami was the prize, obviously, and called all the shots. No one cared about or wanted Va Tech initially who of course was 4th choice. The idea was that combining Miami and FSU would create a viably competitive top end to the SEC, B12 and B10 and it wasn't ridiculous then. Miami had just fielded arguably the best college football team ever in 2001 and FSU was still in the NC hunt. Swofford and pals had a dream of a yearly FSU v. the U championship game. This was before it was more or less proven that all championship games are terrible.

Miami is a school located at the bottom of Florida with an overwhelmingly northeaster student body and lots of subway alums many of whom are also residents of the northeast. It is culturally northeastern. It is very un-ACC in a lot of ways. Because of this Shalala had pressure to bring a partner or ideally two from the old BigEast who played north of the Mason Dixon line. As everyone knows there is no NYC football team and Rutgers ='d Temple (there was no Philly option either) then so they truly were not a consideration. Therefore, a team in Boston was the northeastern connection for Miami alums.

Also so long as the Tobacco Road snobs have any power at all WVU was never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to the ACC. I believe this would have been true even after Maryland left.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I appreciate CTEagle posting here as well as any person from another board and if some of the high strung members of our board could resist the instant attack, I think a dialogue with a competing school would be a nice break. To me, one of the fun things of being a Red Sox fan is arguing with my Yankee friends. Not to say a little venom isn't fun, but I would like to hear his opinion.
As far as the topic is concerned, it's not fair to look at BCU now and wonder why they got picked then. I wish they never left just for rivalry purposes, but at the time (2002) they'd won 3 straight bowl games including a win over Georgia in 2001. They went on to win bowl games from 2003 through 2007. It was a solid football program. As to why not UConn, football now drives the bus and being late to the party we're not looked at as a football school. Years of success could change the perception as it did for hoops, but for now our rep is as a hoops school. Our Olympic sports are very good, for the most part, but that's irrelevant other than as potential filler to a league owned network. We need to succeed on the gridiron and change the perception of what we can do.

Reaction Score
I would agree but he has absolutely no interest in a dialogue. He's here to troll.

Reaction Score

1) Newsflash: Football generates a hell a lot more revenue than hockey.
2) MA has so many natural advantages in hockey over pretty much any state except MN.
3) If UConn succeeds in hockey, it will be at the expense of other (esp public) HE schools, not BC.
4) In college hockey, the CT market is significant new territory for a league saturated in northern New England. So there were tangible benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom