Bazz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Drummond has to play MUCH MUCH better. He is giving them nothing.

Oriakhi has to get his head out of his ass. Seriously. Guy has too much physical skill to be playing like this. AT MINIMUM, he should be dominating the boards.

Lamb started to come out of the funk today, was more aggressive.

Smith and Daniels just have to get better. They are obviously talented. There is upside there to look forward too.

Napier has fallen in love with the dribble....or does he not have a choice, as the movement on offense is terrible? Has to change. Forget this "conserving engery" BS. If they have to play Allen 7 to 10 minutes, and give Lamb and Napier some minutes off, so they can confidently stay aggressive and fresh, DO IT. Better than have them disappear due to fatigue for major portions of the game. I can't get on Napier at all, not with what he is being asked to do.

Sadly, I think they may have to get used to having only 2 guards and a walk-on for quite a long time.

Dude what burnsbro said and what I have been saying since the beginning are true and is something that needs to be implemented immediately unless you want this team to end up in the NITs. This is not only Napier's fault but he is the point guard and the team looks atrocious offensively with everyone looking out of sync and there is no semblance of a team out there.

About Drummond you are right but he is not what we expected and wont be this year. He has great size and athleticism and I too was expecting way more from him but he just doesnt have good instincts or understand basketball yet. No one has toughness on the team except Oriakhi despite the fouls and mistakes he makes he should play 30 to 35 minutes every game for us and so should Drummond. Do not expect much from Daniels, Rosoce, and Olander as they are not ready or capable to contribute right now for this team.

Reaction Score
I don't think Shabazz is free of blame at all, but he is so far from the biggest issue that it's just funny now how so many people want to put 100% of the fault on him.

Offense is a two-way street - guys need to get open and Shabazz needs to find them. Right well, neither side is doing its job.

Reaction Score
The issues with this teams offense are far broader than any blame that can be placed on Bazz. We get very few points in transition and very few easy baskets in the half court offense. The screens that the big men set are half hearted and the passing isn't crisp and aggressive. Far too much one on one late in the shot clock. When this team pushed the ball against Cincinnati they looked great. I really think they need to uptempo it and substitute often to push these games into the 70's or more.

H

huskymagic

The issues with this teams offense are far broader than any blame that can be placed on Bazz. We get very few points in transition and very few easy baskets in the half court offense. The screens that the big men set are half hearted and the passing isn't crisp and aggressive. Far too much one on one late in the shot clock. When this team pushed the ball against Cincinnati they looked great. I really think they need to uptempo it and substitute often to push these games into the 70's or more.

We don't need to substitute often we need to run uptempo with guys that can run, defend, and score. Boatright needs to run the point when he turns with Bazz and Lamb at the 2 and 3 spots with Oriakhi and Drummond in the post. These five guys need to play 30 minutes minimum and play husky basketball. Giffey, Olander, and Roscoe off the bench.

Reaction Score
Tough to push the ball when your bigs can't rebound.

This really falls on everyone's shoulders - not just Shabazz like so many people want to claim.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I would love to see more uptempo ball. If they can get some easy baskets for Roscoe, Daniels, AO, ect maybe they will snap out of their season long funks.

Reaction Score
A team shouldn't need 3 players who can individually break down a defense in order to score more than 57 points in a game. Does a team like Florida State or Michigan State have multiple guys that possess moves which allow them to create their own open shots? It's all a question of ball movement and freeing guys so that they don't have to look to create for themselves. I'm a little sick of the isolation offense, and would much prefer to see a bit of ball rotation once in a while. With the athletes we have, some quick ball movement could lead to uncontested dunks and layups. There really is no need for Bazz to pound the ball at the top of the key while awaiting a poor high ball screen.

We also need to pick up the pace on both offense and defense. I know Shabazz is our only true ball handler, but I'm a bit tired of seeing him take 10 seconds to dribble up the court and initiate the offense. We should be a pressing and fast breaking team, which would allow us to fully utilize the strengths of DD and Roscoe (which aren't playing in a half court offense). At the beginning of the year I certainly wasn't expecting to see a Big Ten type style of play employed by the team.

With the proper adjustments, I really believe this team has the talent and ability to win another National Championship, and just want to see them start moving in the right direction/not playing so frustratingly below their potential.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is a ball stopper. When the ball gets in his hand he dribbles or holds it ruins offensive movement. Did the big man play well no not at all. But they didnt get the ball in good positions. I just dont like the way Shabazz runs a team. Didnt think he played well vs cincy didnt think he played well today. Team wont go far with Shabazz as the leading scorer or second leading scorer. We have too much talent and need a PG to get everyone else involved first then worry about his scoring. If people disagree I totally can understand.

Boat is more of a ball stopper than Bazz is. People are forgetting that when they are calling for Boat to start.

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas thinks UConn's problem is that they don't stick to running their offense and Shabazz just goes on his own too much. I agree with him Shabazz scored 18points on 18 shots. You don't necessarily need more guys who can create their own shot, if you run your plays correctly and run them hard you can get more easy buckets. It is hard to run a play when one guy is dominating the ball.

Reaction Score
i agree with this to an extent, but I think bazz should be at the point for 15-20 mins and at the 2 for 10-15 mins when boat comes back... I also think that just alternating when both are in there isn't such a bad idea, as you don't need a "true" point guard when you have 2 good ballhandlers on the court- both guys can attack, run the offense or create for others...

i think bazz is tired right now and the announcers the last two games have noted that he's taking some "easy" or "tired" shots early in the shotclock... that pull up 3 on the 1 on 4 fast break was a prime example and I think he just needs a rest every so often...

Reaction Score
Disagree Bazz is way worse than Boatright as far as ball stopper.

I agree about alternating at the point while both in but one needs to run the floor im sick of seeing three guys waiting to see if they should bring the ball up. Jeremy does that all the time get out and run.

Reaction Score
Disagree Bazz is way worse than Boatright as far as ball stopper.

I agree about alternating at the point while both in but one needs to run the floor im sick of seeing three guys waiting to see if they should bring the ball up. Jeremy does that all the time get out and run.

On occasion you may see Andre with a 2 handed outlet to start the break and even TO once or twice but in 3 years have you ever seen a Walton-like outlet from Alex? Those are the key to getting out and running............our bigs are they key to so many things, good & bad right now!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On occasion you may see Andre with a 2 handed outlet to start the break and even TO once or twice but in 3 years have you ever seen a Walton-like outlet from Alex? Those are the key to getting out and running............our bigs are they key to so many things, good & bad right now!!
I'm just thrilled when AO gets a rebound and avoids getting stripped by a smaller player.

H

huskymagic

I'm just thrilled when AO gets a rebound and avoids getting stripped by a smaller player.

Alex is not the problem of this team so stop trying to disrespect Alex all the time. He is the toughest player we have on the team and someone who isnt afraid of contact. He has limitations but he is our best option down low and he should start 30 to 35 minutes every game without getting a quick hook for every little mistake. We need to play up tempo like I and burnsbro have already mentioned, and not a slow methodical half court game we have been playing so far with Shabazz. Roscoe/Daniels/Olander are not capble of and or are not ready to produce for us this year. Alex needs to play all game for us if possible as he and Drummond are the only big guys who can play for us right now. Olander and Roscoe off the bench for whoever needs rest.

Reaction Score
All credibility is lost with a reply of asking for more minutes for alex. Do we need more solid, impact minures from alex? hell yeah, but for now he's getting too many when he plays like yesterday. Your guy got caught jogging back on defense while watching his guy score....and yet you want kore minutes from him? Your guy missed 3_5 rebounds which went throuh his hands bcause he doesn't have hands. His post defense which you would call "tough" is awful, never moves his feet and is always looking to block shots rather than just playing tough defense and being in position to rebound the misses. Alex is one of the major issues like it or not and you're blind if you cannot see that.

H

huskymagic

All credibility is lost with a reply of asking for more minutes for alex. Do we need more solid, impact minures from alex? hell yeah, but for now he's getting too many when he plays like yesterday. Your guy got caught jogging back on defense while watching his guy score....and yet you want kore minutes from him? Your guy missed 3_5 rebounds which went throuh his hands bcause he doesn't have hands. His post defense which you would call "tough" is awful, never moves his feet and is always looking to block shots rather than just playing tough defense and being in position to rebound the misses. Alex is one of the major issues like it or not and you're blind if you cannot see that.

Buddy seriously what post player do we have that is better than Oriakhi? There is none and your delusional if you think that any of our other bigs can help. The only post player that we have are Oriakhi and Drummond who doesn't play like a big man should. Roscoe/Daniels/Olander will not and are capable of producing for us this year. Oriakhi needs to get the ball 10 to 15 touches in the post. Lamb should get 15 to 20 shots every game with Boatright running a fast paced up tempo offense. We need a guy who can penetrate at will and who has quickness like Boatright which will free up guys on the wing and free up our bigs as well and you will see Alex producing like he did last year.

Reaction Score
I'm not your "buddy" for one and there's only one dellusional one in this thread. Alex hs been awful and if anything deserves less time. More touches for him as of now will mean less shots and more TO's for the team. Tyler has been a better player than alex more often than not. At the very lest he can pass, catch, hs hands and can make a jumper. They're both fairly horrific on low post defense but for now AO hasn't earned for time.

H

huskymagic

I'm not your "buddy" for one and there's only one dellusional one in this thread. Alex hs been awful and if anything deserves less time. More touches for him as of now will mean less shots and more TO's for the team. Tyler has been a better player than alex more often than not. At the very lest he can pass, catch, hs hands and can make a jumper. They're both fairly horrific on low post defense but for now AO hasn't earned for time.

I like Tyler hes a nice kid but seriously Tyler is just a rotation player and is not ready to produce against Big 6 conference teams. Tyler is a hybrid 3/4 who doesnt have the strength to play in the post and is too slow to be a 3. He has good fundamentals unlike our other bigs but he can't be a starter for us this year. Despite your constant vitriol aimed at Oriakhi he is our best big men and is the only one who can bang and play physical in the post. Everyone else on this team avoids contact.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Bazz has also been forced to play 40 minutes a night due to all this, which isn't helping the cause at all.

Reaction Score
magic, i am not abusing alex in a bitter way as you alluded to. He just hasn't played well and if you think he's a physical presence you are missing most every game. Is he our most physical presence?..maybe but we all know that's saying very little. He heeds to match the physical play of his opponent and he doesn't. He doesn't box out and he doesn't defend enough with his body and always ends up sideways trying to block the shot. He's not the only Husky to do this but he's the experienced one and I for one expect a heck of a lot more.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Alex is not the problem of this team so stop trying to disrespect Alex all the time. He is the toughest player we have on the team and someone who isnt afraid of contact. He has limitations but he is our best option down low and he should start 30 to 35 minutes every game without getting a quick hook for every little mistake. We need to play up tempo like I and burnsbro have already mentioned, and not a slow methodical half court game we have been playing so far with Shabazz. Roscoe/Daniels/Olander are not capble of and or are not ready to produce for us this year. Alex needs to play all game for us if possible as he and Drummond are the only big guys who can play for us right now. Olander and Roscoe off the bench for whoever needs rest.
No disrespect towards AO intended. He is who he is and although he is flawed on the offensive end, and he has some weakness on the defensive end, I agree that he is the best option in the lineup and I like him paired with AD. The one disagreement I have is that TO is needed in certain match ups for offense even if he isn't as good as Alex on the defensive end. RS and DD should be role players imo.

Reaction Score
Alex is a problem on the team. He is improved his offensive game, but seems to have lost that much on rebounding AND defense. What concerns me is roscoe smith and how weak and slow he looks at times.

Reaction Score
Bazz has also been forced to play 40 minutes a night due to all this, which isn't helping the cause at all.

I wonder if people really understand what this does to the mind, body and soul. His mistakes are more from mental and physical fatigue The kid has no relief and is truly an iron man. He gets a pass in my book because he's not 100% and is forced to play the whole game against equal athletes who are getting in-game rest.

Sure he's young and in shape but he's human, and he needs rest that he is certainly not getting. My Bazz concern is will he have anything left in the tank come March?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom