Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The most clutch player ever just choked away a chance for a repeat title. Oops. Will ESPN show that replay 1,000 times also?

Congrats to Baylor and Coach Mulkey. I've been critical of her at times, but Championship #3 puts her in very rare company. Holding off that big charge from ND and shaking off the bad injury to Cox is impressive.

She actually choked twice...the missed FT and then she was unable to execute a deliberate miss. Karma is a word that rhymes with witch.

Reaction Score
That was said about ND after last season. It's hard to win two years in a row unless your initials are GA. This takes the disappointment out of UConn's loss Friday for me. I don't see how UConn would have beaten Baylor. They were just too tall, strong, and athletic. They were as good as they were because of both Brown and Cox. You saw what happened when one of them was not playing. Next season they may be good but not championship good.
Who else besides Oregon & Baylor is championship good next year?

Reaction Score
Some people thought that about UConn's team last season.
You could say the same about this year's team. From an outside perspective, you look at UConn having 3 #1 players in the starting lineup, plus the #1 PG from her class, and then Collier with ONO coming off the bench. The first six players were top 10 recruits, and four of them in the top 3. If I just looked at that on paper I'd expect that team to be even more dominant than the Stewie teams.

Reaction Score
I have to agree about this board being the best place to read and find interest in women's basketball. My own home message board does have a women's section but it doesn't get a ton of activity. I like coming here to read and follow games of other teams.

Congrats to Baylor and best wishes to Cox for a full recovery. Reminds me of when Kevin Ware went down with a severe leg injury in Louisville's run to the championship several years ago, even though his happened before the champ game. Still it gave the team someone to really rally for the rest of the tourney.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Arike has hit a ton of clutch shots in her career. She'll go down as ND's greatest player. It's unfortunate her career ended like it did. Yes, I know this is a UConn board. But still.

There's nothing unfortunate about it. I could watch her brick that free throw every day for the rest of my life.

Reaction Score
Some people thought that about UConn's team last season.

1) UConn was not defending champs.
2) UConn went undefeated and cruised through the opening rounds, losing in OT on a buzzer beater.

ND had 3 regular season losses, and then almost got blowed out if not for Cox's injury. They under achieved in multiple dimensions.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You could say the same about this year's team. From an outside perspective, you look at UConn having 3 #1 players in the starting lineup, plus the #1 PG from her class, and then Collier with ONO coming off the bench. The first six players were top 10 recruits, and four of them in the top 3. If I just looked at that on paper I'd expect that team to be even more dominant than the Stewie teams.
No Mo

Reaction Score
D3l1L6SXoAELV-v.jpg

D3l08EKW4AM0KLf.jpg

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Oregon is losing 2 of the top six, Baylor 2 starters and unfortunately for them it appears Cox also.

Reaction Score
If Cox weren't injured they would've lost by a larger margin...probably. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
I thought it was certain OT game with Arike at the line. She'll remember that miss more than the make last year...which is sad.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
1) UConn was not defending champs.
2) UConn went undefeated and cruised through the opening rounds, losing in OT on a buzzer beater.

ND had 3 regular season losses, and then almost got blowed out if not for Cox's injury. They under achieved in multiple dimensions.
What does your reply have to do with my post? Being defending champs had nothing to do with the expectations. Some supposed sports experts said that the other teams better beat UConn in 2017 because they were going to be the team to beat in 2018.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
With the transfers going to different teams, it's hard to tell who the other teams will be. Even if Cox plays next season, they will not be as effective as this season. The main thing that made them so effective, their height, will be missing next season. Cox is not as effective a player without Brown.

Reaction Score
If Cox weren't injured they would've lost by a larger margin...probably. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
I thought it was certain OT game with Arike at the line. She'll remember that miss more than the make last year...which is sad.

I am very curious what they find. Pray it isn't ACL. If its something major it puts next year at complete jeopardy. Smith and Egbo though will be counted on heavily this offseason to develop. I am also looking forward to seeing Decosta who has shined in her limited minutes back from injury.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
With the transfers going to different teams, it's hard to tell who the other teams will be. Even if Cox plays next season, they will not be as effective as this season. The main thing that made them so effective, their height, will be missing next season. Cox is not as effective a player without Brown.
Not with Baylor on the scene. many thought they would be as good as they were.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Notre Dame shot 15 FTs in the second half to Baylor's ZERO! How can you possibly call that well reffed?
there are special rules for the lime green team, look at last year's final 4 the stored team pushed them across the finish line almost the same here

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am very curious what they find. Pray it isn't ACL. If its something major it puts next year at complete jeopardy. Smith and Egbo though will be counted on heavily this offseason to develop. I am also looking forward to seeing Decosta who has shined in her limited minutes back from injury.
If it turns out to be ACL, I am predicting a timely transfer. (Welcome to Baylor, Dre'una Edwards.)

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Not sad at all. I hope she does!

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is very fallible. I was surprised to see a few UConn fans call the game for ND with a few minutes left. Too many fans give ND too much credit. ND seems to often play their best when they are behind, but once they were even with Baylor they started to get tight and shots didn't drop. Certainly ND can't be happy with losing this game, but since they beat UConn, they are probably satisfied.

Reaction Score
Oregon is losing 2 of the top six, Baylor 2 starters and unfortunately for them it appears Cox also.
Oregon has Ionescu, Hebard, Sabally sisters, Yaeger, Chavez, Giomi all returning. Baylor has Cox, Smith, Landrum, Richards, Ursin, Egbo, Decosta, Scott-Grayson, etc, and incoming freshmen. You still don’t think so?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom