Baylor Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Baylor Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Fudd was 6 for 10 on 2’s not 9 of 11. Had a volume shot scoring game but her 3rd qtr certainly gave Uconn some sorely needed breathing room. Her shot selection is off the charts good. So impressive that she takes every good shot she gets and never takes a bad one. Extremely intelligent player, whoever taught her the game did a fantastic job.

Reaction Score
I was worried through the first 25 minutes of the game, but I sure enjoyed the last 15 minutes! It was incredible (in a bad way) to see Baylor hit all of those threes, but we did a good job inside the arc and were able to turn up the defensive pressure as the game went on. It felt like Baylor got a bit tired at the same time as Aubrey sparked an energy rally for UCONN. Aaliyah going out with foul trouble could have been a turning point for Baylor, but it wound up being a turning point for UCONN. Unlike in the regular season, we had a starter as a substitute. And that starter changed the game with her rebounding and with helping us get out in transition. The other big change in the second half was Azzi finding the bottom of the net. Seeing Azzi look like Azzi was wonderful and very comforting as we move on to Seattle. Also, a big shout out to Caroline for her effort on both ends of the court. She helped settle things down with her defense and hit some big shots. She’s an impressive 8-10 from the floor in the tournament. It’s great to see her looking more like herself on the court, and I hope it means that she’s also feeling more like herself off the court. I also have to mention the important contributions from Aaliyah (now 47 points on 22-26 fg through two games), Nika with double digit assists in both games, and Dorka with solid play on both ends. I would love to see Dorka have a monster double double versus her old team on Saturday. Lou seems to be hurting, but she is a gamer and she always seems to hit a shot when we most need it. Hopefully a few days rest will help her and Aubrey. For now, I’m going to celebrate a 29 year sweet sixteen streak. On to the elite eight streak! Then…

Reaction Score
Both SC and UConn’s brackets had no upsets, which makes the Sweet 16 matchups challenging. If both of them make it to the Final Four, the road to the Final will be much easier. Incredible tournament so far, with huge crowds.
You don't call Toledo's win an upset? TN should write them a thank you note. What a gift for the Lady vols.

Reaction Score
Excellent point, Dawson. Caroline is 8 of 10 from the floor for the last two games, had six rebounds three assists tonight in just 19 minutes.

I loved Azzi's hot streak there in the third period, and she combined with Aubrey to break it open. Still, Azzi is clearly the team's volume shooter, and has yet to show she's got her stroke back from three (3 of 12 tonight, 9 of 38 since her return). Honestly, with Caroline and Lou combining for just 10 shots while Azzi had 22, I'd rather the offense be more balanced until Azzi's production warrants all those shots. How quickly we forget what Lou has done for the team this year and what Caroline can do if given more opportunities.

I know this won't be a popular post tonight, but 9 of 38?
Paige struggl;d a bit when she came back last year. Azzi has to keep shooting. I don;t care about shot distribution. Paige wasn't dong a lot before NC State last year as well upon her return. The more Azzi shoots the better.

As far as Lou, she isn't healthy. - yet . . .

Excited to see Caroline hitting big time.

Reaction Score
Someone suggested a few days ago that Azzi take some midrange shots to get her rhythm back, then step back and hits some threes. She did that in the third quarter.

I was pleased to see that Nika didn't get pulled after her third foul. She played the rest of the game without getting a fourth.

Obviously the surges fouled by Griffin and later Fudd were the major factor in the outcome, but everyone played well. Edwards had another very efficient shooting game despite sitting for a while with foul trouble. Dorka was Dorka again, and Ducharme and Lopez-Senechal were solid.

Reaction Score
You don't call Toledo's win an upset? TN should write them a thank you note. What a gift for the Lady vols.
I meant who made it to the sweet 16. In both brackets, 1-4 moved on. The other two were absolutely crazy.

Reaction Score
Someone suggested a few days ago that Azzi take some midrange shots to get her rhythm back, then step back and hits some threes. She did that in the third quarter.

I was pleased to see that Nika didn't get pulled after her third foul. She played the rest of the game without getting a fourth.

Obviously the surges fouled by Griffin and later Fudd were the major factor in the outcome, but everyone played well. Edwards had another very efficient shooting game despite sitting for a while with foul trouble. Dorka was Dorka again, and Ducharme and Lopez-Senechal were solid.
Don’t underestimate how important Carol’s rebounding was while Aalijah was on the bench. The Baylor coach acknowledged that the lineup of Azzi, Carol, Lou and Aubrey was the difference maker. They couldn’t match up against a lineup with so many shooters.

Reaction Score
At the end of the first half with seconds to play Ball States freshman Hana Muhl threw up a shot just past half court and made it. Same with her big sis, Nika. She too made a 3 pointer from just past half court to end the half. Gotta love those Muhl girls.
They could do a commercial for “2 Muhl Team Borax”

Reaction Score
Ok let me start with, terrible 4th foul call on Aliyah.
Then let me add that Geno, has done a tremendous job on coaching a complete team this year. Not sure if the injuries are what created the use of post players this season but whatever it is it's a much welcomed site. As a fan it's a refresher to see how the moving parts work together and that it's not always about the leading point getter getting all the shine.

Dorka and Aubrey are the glue stick to this team. They do things that isn't always highlighted in the box scores but are very important to the win. I truly believe not having Aubrey and Dorka in our final four run last year was the difference. Aubrey gets the Valor award for toughness.

Last note. Nika is one tough minded athlete that never cheats a possession on both ends of the court. She never gets subbed out, unless she's in deep foul trouble or at the end of ball games. Her leadership has been exactly what this team needed.

GO UCONN!

Reaction Score
Concerns: Lou got a hard hit to the head on the intentional. She appeared a little groggy, hopefully all better in a few days. Same for Caroline, she got hit again, seemed stunned. Unbelievable how long this is affecting her. But both came back in. Edwards went down hard on one play, took a while to get up. 4 days rest will hopefully be enough for all 3. Then the back spasms for Aubrey; she was a big difference maker tonight. We need her. Long plane ride for all coming up; not good for the back, and the low air pressure not good for groggy brains.. Maybe stick a mattress on the floor and tell AG to lie on it for the whole flight, with a heating pad on her back. Keep CD in a pressure chamber. When do we fly to Seattle? We have to adjust to 3 time zone difference. Good news is VT, OSU and TN are all from the eastern time zone too. So all 4 have to adjust equally. Big help for a team like SC, no time zone change, next to home. They need that help. NOT!!!!!! Committee should not put regionals near a team you expect to be in the elite 8, unless it is Albany. Or Hartford.

Reaction Score
I think it goes like this. Close guard at the 3-point line. If they go by you, they're getting: a) a two-point shot, b) maybe a higher percentage shot, c) maybe they'll get fouled and earn a shot or two at the line. With a short bench, you weigh that. With a longer bench and with AE and DN protecting, you focus on stopping the 3. And... the resulting 2-point attempt, if missed, will usually give a more manageable rebound opp...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have to again sing the praises of MIKE's MANGO... It came through... I drank my share tonight to make sure the MOJO got to Storrs... and it did... Yes, I'm a bit buzzed, but that's ok... UCONN goes on!!! Sweet 16... and more!!!
You and Mike are troopers, for sure. ;)

Reaction Score
I've said it before, Geno loves this kid. His side comments and her quip in the presser just show that they are in a good place with each other. The fact that he shakes his head after she mows somebody down but never considers sitting her shows he trusts her and she accepts the need to dial it back a bit because it is so critical to the team that she stays on the floor. Check out the clip below, Geno on the hug, ' I whispered in her ear I still hate you and she said something back that I won't repeat'. Classic!

Reaction Score
Normally I sing the praises of my girl Nika (don't worry, I'll get to her) but for me the real hero last night was Aubrey Griffin. I know how painful back spasms are & how they can severely limit a person's mobility. Yet there she was out there making plays, rebounding, defending etc like she never had a back problem in her life. Amazing & courageous performance, I can't tell you how much I admire her bravery & determination. Props also to the trainers & medical staff too, they played a big part in her performance.

Now on to my girl Nika. Another double digit assist game for her and that just inside half court shot that beat the half time buzzer was an absolute dagger. She got into foul trouble but settled down for the rest of the game & still played her usual intense defense. She truly is the heart of this team.

Reaction Score
I agree about Caroline. And she is still not 100%, IMO.
I was worried when Caroline in 4th quarter around 7 minute mark grabbed a rebound but must have taken a hit to head, she misstepped on way to mid court line and Geno called timeout to check her. But, she was back in immediately, so I guess she’s okay. Her shot was on, she had significant assists and rebounds- this was her best game back.

Reaction Score
While Aubrey & Azzi were great, an unsung hero(ine) tonight was Caroline. UCONN was struggling & Baylor was very confident when she entered the game. She immediately changed the tempo, calmed down the team, & allowed UCONN to settle into their game.
So many smart plays by Caroline in her limited minutes. Her points, passes, and defense were all done effortlessly at critical times. Looked like she took another shot to the head at the end of the game but had many high basketball IQ plays that didn't always show in the box score.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, Geno loves this kid. His side comments and her quip in the presser just show that they are in a good place with each other. The fact that he shakes his head after she mows somebody down but never considers sitting her shows he trusts her and she accepts the need to dial it back a bit because it is so critical to the team that she stays on the floor. Check out the clip below, Geno on the hug, ' I whispered in her ear I still hate you and she said something back that I won't repeat'. Classic!

Pretty sure she dropped bomb!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom