Baylor fires president/football coach over dissuading rape victims from reporting assaults | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor fires president/football coach over dissuading rape victims from reporting assaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Briles Financial Settlement Finalized

Regent: Briles, Baylor reach financial settlement

And now the Big 12 Conference wants to review the law firm's unedited report (with names redacted)
Big 12 asks Baylor to hand over 'all documents' related to sexual assault investigations

So, now the conference that Baylor plays in wants to take a thorough look, for reasons that could range from concern and outrage to covering bases and/or reviewing that situation to make sure it does not happen elsewhere. Or some combination + other things.

My next-door neighbor just graduated from Stanford (she is a former rower) and she detailed how strong the protests and messages that the student body, particularly female athletes, were sending to the administration (both overall and athletic) about the situation there. See a picture on page F2 of today's (Thursday, June 23, NY Times --Education Innovation).
There appears to be a step-change going on in the way this kind of behavior and subsequent behavior is being judged throughout the country.

So, swerving back to East Texas....This opens a lot of questions up in my mind..some of which Charlie and I have touched on:
- How are undergrads processing the news that these were not a few isolated incidents? And that there was an active/passive blind eye (or worse) in play among the institution? Do they care? Or is it overplayed? Can anyone from East Texas give an insight?

- I wonder how female athletes feel about the whole situation, from being a student, to being part of the athletic department to representing the school when their team plays on a court and/or field, particularly when they're away from Baylor? Is this bothersome, an ethical dilemma or are they segmenting their existence to focus on being a member of the team?

- Yes, there will be some (many) that will follow the football team off a cliff. But -- in my mind -- that team has forfeited being the lead voice in that athletic department for a number of years. Who now sets the example? A new AD? Other teams? Kim Mulkey -- for all her extravagances -- does not appear to be in the news for the wrong reasons. Would she become a Baylor leader(if even by default)?

As a parent of two college-aged y0ung women (one grad, one junior), a former youth coach and administrator who largely spent time with females and an obvious fan of WCBB, I find myself thinking about that situation. It could possibly be any school, but in this case it is one that is both a major football school and a force in WCBB, which makes for an interesting combination of pressure, expectations, etc, particularly in a football-enthused area.

Overall, I hope the interim school president, athletic director (when named) and coaches of the respective teams can move forward in a pro-active, positive, even redemptive manner. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see what plays out.

Given my respect for contributors here, I'd be interested in other thoughts....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dillon - all good points.
My guess is ... not much will change within the community in terms of how it relates to the sports teams. I am sure the school will be more vigilant in the future, but the student body will move on rapidly - the attention span, even at Stanford will be short lived. I think we saw this at TN which had issues and we have seen it elsewhere - PSU as a community moved on very rapidly as well, and if anything became the aggrieved party with the NCAA heavy handedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom