Baylor back on the schedule next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor back on the schedule next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Given how quickly Baylor has become strong again, I'd suggest that Kim's strategy was fundamentally sound.

It gives her a chance to learn about the team and allow it to develop its chemistry. She uses the OOC to prepare the team for conference play, then she uses conference play to prepare the team for the NCAA tourney. It's not what most coaches do, but it is hard to argue with her results. She only gives her team as much as she thinks they can handle at the time.

I hate the scheduling because Baylor fans, and WCBB fans in general, don't get to see Baylor play interesting games early in the season. Despite playing 3 or 4 top 25 teams there have hardly been any games that are that much fun to watch.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For anyone who wants to see Baylor play, tonight's game against Oral Roberts will be aired on Fox College Sports tonight at 8:00 p.m., EST.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
was that to fulfill a home/home

Yes, and she knew when that commitment was made that she would have just lost the most dominant player to ever play WCBB, as well as multiple other key players.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
For anyone who wants to see Baylor play, tonight's game against Oral Roberts will be aired on Fox College Sports tonight at 8:00 p.m., EST.

1-7 Oral Roberts! Should be real edge of the seat stuff.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Confirmation from Jim Fuller: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/12/uconnbaylor-set-to-renew-series.html

"Next year's non-conference schedule has a chance to be one of the toughest the Huskies have ever played as contracts have been signed for the return games with Ohio State, Florida State, Maryland, LSU, DePaul, Chattanooga, Nebraska, Kansas State. UConn will play Texas at Mohegan Sun Arena and UConn is expected to renew home and home series with South Carolina and Notre Dame."

Good to see the South Carolina and Notre Dame series will continue.
That's just wow. Based on how close I think Depaul is to being a top 10 team this year, it's basically 7 top 10'ish teams on their list... ND, SC, OSU, FSU, Texas, Maryland and Depaul. Talk about a gauntlet...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The line of thinking that you need to schedule a weak non-conference schedule to build confidence for conference play doesn't hold water with me at all. UConn and Notre Dame consistently play among the the toughest non-conference schedules in the country and they make it through conference play and the tournament just fine.

So many teams are just plain chicken when it comes to non-conference scheduling and it hurts the sport as a whole. Just my (not terribly humble) opinion of course.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
It is considered good military strategy to attack when you have superior forces, and to sit back, regroup, even hide, and possibly lick your wounds when you are under "manned," and likely to endure a crippling defeat.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Confirmation from Jim Fuller: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/12/uconnbaylor-set-to-renew-series.html

"Next year's non-conference schedule has a chance to be one of the toughest the Huskies have ever played as contracts have been signed for the return games with Ohio State, Florida State, Maryland, LSU, DePaul, Chattanooga, Nebraska, Kansas State. UConn will play Texas at Mohegan Sun Arena and UConn is expected to renew home and home series with South Carolina and Notre Dame."

Good to see the South Carolina and Notre Dame series will continue.
Doesn't UCONN play UCLA at Pauley Pavilion next year?

Reaction Score
That is such BS. Kim is not trying to get an undefeated record, she is trying to bring the team along slowly with the addition of new talent on the team.
She is supposed to have one of the top teams in the country and should stretch those muscles by playing some of the big boys. Championships go through UCONN so you can avoid them only so long if you want another ring. Testing her players against top teams is a way to bring them along... not playing powder puff teams. If you want to be the biggest dog on the porch you have to act like it.

Reaction Score
I tuned in Baylor vs Oral Roberts at the start of the 4th quarter to see Baylor up by 46 in a full court press! Checked out and tuned back in with 5 mins left Baylor up by 54 still in a full court press. I guess they needed to work on their press?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I tuned in Baylor vs Oral Roberts at the start of the 4th quarter to see Baylor up by 46 in a full court press! Checked out and tuned back in with 5 mins left Baylor up by 54 still in a full court press. I guess they needed to work on their press?

Mulkey brought that up in her post-game game interview and said that she pressed the entire game in preparation for conference play. She wants to make sure that the girls are in shape to use the press once conference play begins so you will probably see the press a lot in the next games in Florida.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She is supposed to have one of the top teams in the country and should stretch those muscles by playing some of the big boys. Championships go through UCONN so you can avoid them only so long if you want another ring. Testing her players against top teams is a way to bring them along... not playing powder puff teams. If you want to be the biggest dog on the porch you have to act like it.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For their beautiful pelts. They make great coats.
What works for skinning cats may not be effective for taming Huskies.

ESPN announcers continually make the point that in the last 15 years or so, UConn has only been beaten twice in the NCAA tournament by teams that they did not play during the season. That may have something to do with the fact that Texas (who lost by 50 to UConn in the Sweet 16 last year) is on next year's schedule. Do they figure that it is worthwhile to risk a drubbing in the regular season to learn how to play against UConn in the tournament? Certainly their offensive plan in last year's game (which appeared to consist of taking the ball into the paint against Stewart and Stokes) could have used a tune-up.

In the Elite 8 game, Dayton (who did not play UConn during the season but at least had the benefit of watching the Texas game in person and learning from it) used a completely different approach with much better results.

Reaction Score
I think - perhaps because they are only team other than UConn and Tennessee with multiple national championships in the last 20 years - sometimes I forget that Baylor has only been to 3 final fours. They have done remarkably well to sustain the consistency begun during the Griner years (which was only 3 years ago), but they are still only relatively recently a top 5 program year in and year out. I think it would be slightly disingenuous to expect them to schedule like UConn, Notre Dame, or even Tennessee or Stanford. That being said, I'm not sure the OOC schedule (despite playing UConn in 2013-2014), and the Big 12's mediocrity, the last two years didn't play some role in them losing to ND in the E8.

Reaction Score
She didn't avoid UCONN this year for her OOC, she avoided everybody. She wants to get to the Tourney with an undefeated record. Not sure what Texas thinks about that.[/QUOTE

Hit nail on the head with that one. It makes her look good on paper and among the administration getting to another tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... I guess she will only play when she thinks she has an even-money chance of winning. That will be the case next year.

Mulkey is probably thinking like the folks in Amityville thought........."Jaws" is no longer a threat, it's now safe to go back in the water. :eek:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What works for skinning cats may not be effective for taming Huskies.

ESPN announcers continually make the point that in the last 15 years or so, UConn has only been beaten twice in the NCAA tournament by teams that they did not play during the season. That may have something to do with the fact that Texas (who lost by 50 to UConn in the Sweet 16 last year) is on next year's schedule. Do they figure that it is worthwhile to risk a drubbing in the regular season to learn how to play against UConn in the tournament? Certainly their offensive plan in last year's game (which appeared to consist of taking the ball into the paint against Stewart and Stokes) could have used a tune-up.

In the Elite 8 game, Dayton (who did not play UConn during the season but at least had the benefit of watching the Texas game in person and learning from it) used a completely different approach with much better results.

Baylor is not going to beat UCONN this year, even if we played them 10 times before the tournament starts. No need to send the young girls to UCONN to be embarrassed and break their spirit. The alternative is to slowly build their confidence and gel as a team so that they "believe" when the tourney starts.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey is probably thinking like the folks in Amityville thought...."Jaws" is no longer a threat, it's now safe to go back in the water. :eek:

Come on...would you want to be bitten by Stewart?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think - perhaps because they are only team other than UConn and Tennessee with multiple national championships in the last 20 years - sometimes I forget that Baylor has only been to 3 final fours. They have done remarkably well to sustain the consistency begun during the Griner years (which was only 3 years ago), but they are still only relatively recently a top 5 program year in and year out. I think it would be slightly disingenuous to expect them to schedule like UConn, Notre Dame, or even Tennessee or Stanford. That being said, I'm not sure the OOC schedule (despite playing UConn in 2013-2014), and the Big 12's mediocrity, the last two years didn't play some role in them losing to ND in the E8.

Actually, they lost to Notre Dame because Notre Dame had more talent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There will be a lot of teams wanting to play UConn next season with Stewie and Mojeff graduated. A win over UConn is huge for ranking in the polls. Some coaches think UConn is beatable next season. We will see how our underclassman develop.

A win over UConn can be a HUGE tool used in a team's recruiting efforts beginning the next day.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I see what is going on here...you guys just wished that she had schedule UCONN this year so that you could have a good time talking about how badly you beat BU. Mulkey has deprived you of that joy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom