Battle For The Blue Line | The Boneyard

Battle For The Blue Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The battle for playing time on the blue line will be interesting to follow in training camp and in the early part of the season. With 8 defensemen and only 6 dressing for games, the fight to see who establishes themselves will be fascinating. Especially, since all 8 can make an argument to be in the lineup every game.

In my opinion, the top 6 defensemen on the team are (in no particular order):
Austin (who I thought was the best puck moving defensemen on the team last year and overall best defenseman. His absence coming down the stretch last year after he suffered a broken finger was very noticeable)
Gendron (who I believe is the best pro prospect on the blue line. Terrific skater. When he adds muscle he will be a major force in Hockey East)
Segalla (is a top 4 defenseman on this team. I thought he had a disappointing season last year. Took some bad penalties. However, he is a major component of this team's back line)
Masonius (young talented defenseman. Interesting to see how he adapts to the college game during his freshman year against older, stronger players. Definitely has the skill set to be a major contributor in the coming years)
Drake (steady, big body force on the blue line. Does not have the skating ability of a Gendron but is talented enough to play AHL hockey after his four years are up. Played with Huson a lot last year. If he has improved his footwork and speed over the summer his game should improve a lot)
Pratt (had a very solid freshman year last season. The team electing him to be assistant captain shows his leadership on the team, especially going in to only his sophomore year. His leadership and steady presence on the blue line should mean he is a constant in the lineup)

However, that leaves Kunnas and Huson looking on from the outside.

Joona Kunnas is tricky. He is talented enough to play in the top six on this team. However, I moved him out of the top six because he showed promise when Cavanaugh moved him to forward to add scoring when the team was struggling.
Will Kunnas be worked into the lineup as a forward like he was in a handful of games? It is one question going into the season.

In addition, how will Huson respond with a reduced workload for his senior season when he is accustomed to playing 30+ games? It's not his fault because he was not brought in here to compete at the Hockey East level and it showed last year. Barring injury, I do not see him playing in the same number of games he is accustomed to.

Reaction Score
Nice job Mac...it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Reaction Score
I don't foresee Kunnas getting any time at Forward this season, barring anything catastrophic. His value to the team is providing depth in case of injury. If he were to get hurt playing Forward you compromise that depth and I think that would be unwise.

With that said our top-6 is extremely solid. I'm most interested in seeing who Cav pairs up with whom. You would have to think Drake being the weakest skater will be on a line with either Gendron or Austin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom