Batouly and the Guinea National Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Batouly and the Guinea National Team

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen the box score - specifically how many fouls she picked up? I searched a bit and did not see it.

I've been excited about her since her transfer, then saddened by her apparent fragility.

My question has been how foul prone she is? I watched her this year & last but small sample size and mixed results.

I love ONO's potential and think her foul-prone game can be resolved with coaching and technique adjustments. One of UConn's strengths has been good defense w/o fouling & when games are tightly called like the playoff against Buffalo our VERY short bench couldn't help.

Geno's style is not to use players who foul - save ONO - & I wonder if that is a contributing variable to BC's limited playing time and/or may limit her 2019-20 potential contribution?

3. For some reason, there is no boxscore page yet, but you can see the first game stats here on their team page:

Reaction Score
Everyone assumes she didn’t play bc of medical. Maybe, as we’ve seen with other players, she wasn’t doing what was asked in practice?

In any event glad to see her playing well.

Or maybe it has just been an inability to participate in the practices. It's one thing to play 40 minutes in a game. Can she then handle a 3 hr practice the next day? And all season? I'm hopeful she can and if she can't then maybe Geno can use her like he did Hunter. Having bad knees myself I know I can play a round of golf but the days of 36/day for 5 days are gone forever.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
3. For some reason, there is no boxscore page yet, but you can see the first game stats here on their team page:

Follow that link. Scroll down to see the box score, including Batouly's 4/6 on 3-pointers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Definitely a good showing. I'm not sure that Geno envisions her as a stretch 4 for UConn though. We need her to bang more than take 3s.

Reaction Score
This young woman deserves every good thing that can come to her. I hope her injuries are behind her and she can play up to 40 minutes (as needed) this coming season. She’s definitely an athlete and she would be great regardless of if she’s a starter or a reserve.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The only reason why she didn't score more points or have any offensive rebounds is because the rest of the team shot so bad and most of the time when they shot she was not near the basket to get any rebounds. The only thing that she was having problems with was her free throws. I think she will be a great asset to the team this year, maybe even the 5th starter.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Cape Verde wins the second game 60 - 48, looks like Batouly will be in Storrs for the Summer instead of the FIBA qualifiers.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I only watched the first quarter, but it was apparent that the game was not being played at a UConn pace. Batouly jogged between ends of the court, and was setting up near the foul line at both ends. When an opponent beat her defender, Batouly wasn’t exactly quick or effective with help defense. (Maybe she was instructed to stick with her man.)

In other words, she wasn’t playing the way Geno would expect her to play, so I don’t think that the 40 minutes proves much about her stamina or readiness to play big minutes for UConn.

Reaction Score
Looks like she fouled out after 32 minutes or so after 12 points and 15 rebounds.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Looks like she fouled out after 32 minutes or so after 12 points and 15 rebounds.
Didn't watch the second game, but if it is anything like the first, the refs were not kind to her. She was getting fouled almost every time, both on offense and defense. It was clear that Batouly was the best player on Guinea and Cape Verde wanted to keep her in wraps and was so physical. They were always pushing, shoving and holding her so that she would get upset and sometimes retaliate. Like in most games the refs only catch the retaliation. I think she will do fine in her final year at UConn.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch the second game, but if it is anything like the first, the refs were not kind to her. She was getting fouled almost every time, both on offense and defense. It was clear that Batouly was the best player on Guinea and Cape Verde wanted to keep her in wraps and was so physical. They were always pushing, shoving and holding her so that she would get upset and sometimes retaliate. Like in most games the refs only catch the retaliation. I think she will do fine in her final year at UConn.
I completely agree. That got the message from game 1 to 2 that she was the one to focus on and she just didn't have enough talent around her to combat that. I still think thevwhole experience bodes well for her final season at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom