Basketball cliches you dont like (and other sports too) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Basketball cliches you dont like (and other sports too)

Reaction Score
“A bright future” reffering to a freshman or rookie, maybe he’s just good or isn’t good.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered why, over such a long period of basketball's existence, that we have been unable to improve upon the term "dunk" for that action. But Anything that's been tried seems corny: Jam? Slam? Throw down? and the cringy and thankfully out of use ...STUFF .

The man from planet Lovetron certainly tried.

He gave us the “The If-You-Ain’t-Groovin’, Best-Get-Movin’, Chocolate-Thunder-Flyin’, Robinzine-Cryin’, Teeth-Shakin’, Glass-Breakin’, Rump-Roastin’, Bun-Toastin’, Glass-Still Flyin’, Wham-Bam-I-Am-Jam” and of course “The-Chocolate-Thunder-Ain’t-Playin’, Get-Out-Of-the-Wayin,’ Backboard-Swayin’, Game-Delayin’ Super Spike” as well as the more pedestrian “In-Your-Face-Disgrace”

Reaction Score
Free Throw

I always wondered why a foul shot is called a 'free throw' and not a 'free shot'. its certainly not a typical throwing motion.

Reaction Score
The man from planet Lovetron certainly tried.

He gave us the “The If-You-Ain’t-Groovin’, Best-Get-Movin’, Chocolate-Thunder-Flyin’, Robinzine-Cryin’, Teeth-Shakin’, Glass-Breakin’, Rump-Roastin’, Bun-Toastin’, Glass-Still Flyin’, Wham-Bam-I-Am-Jam” and of course “The-Chocolate-Thunder-Ain’t-Playin’, Get-Out-Of-the-Wayin,’ Backboard-Swayin’, Game-Delayin’ Super Spike” as well as the more pedestrian “In-Your-Face-Disgrace”
I thought about him. I think he's the only one who really tried.

Reaction Score
I hate it how "backcourt violation" has been largely replaced with "over and back".

Reaction Score
"Analytics are just stats"

European football has some of the worst 'old school' analysts. There's basically zero insight other than 1 team is doing well and the other is not and unfortunately they still do most of the commentary, especially in the UK.

"They just lack energy today" - if they're losing
"They're really up for it" - if they're winning
"The finishing is poor" / "They just lack cutting edge" - because the ball didn't bounce in that day
"OOO what amazing technique" - when the 1 out of 25 long shots blasted as hard possible by the DM goes in
"That's just down to individual mistakes" - whenever they want to excuse the team of playing poor defense
"Too much backwards passing" - when they don't appreciate possession play
"Wonderful flowing move" - when they appreciate possession play
"Master of the dark arts / smart professional foul" - when someone they like cheats
"Cynical play / play acting" - when someone they don't like cheats
"Just parking the bus" - if they don't like team
"Wonderful counter-attacking" - if they do like the team

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
[White Player] reminds me of [Other White Player of Similar Height Whose Game Is Entirely Different]
It’s the next Larry bird!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’ve said it a million times “ operating in space “ is the worst and it is overused in hoops , hockey, and football

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I think that whole Jacksonville Jaguars "Duuuuuuuuuuval County" thing needs to be dead like disco as soon as yesterday. So annoying.
You’re putting words in our mouths. Also, not a cliche.

Reaction Score
I've always winced at "that's a good golf shot".
(I winced when I wrote that)

Reaction Score
No one says “county.”
Ok, but I don't think you know what the phrase "putting words in your mouth" means. Also, I have heard people on tv say it that way so go pester them. Either way it's annoying.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Ok, but I don't think you know what the phrase "putting words in your mouth" means. Also, I have heard people on tv say it that way so go pester them. Either way it's annoying.
Putting words in someone’s mouth is saying they said something they didn’t. That’s what you did. Not a Jags fan, but live in Jax. It’s harmless. At least they aren’t learning to spell like Jets and Eagles fans.

Reaction Score
Putting words in someone’s mouth is saying they said something they didn’t. That’s what you did. Not a Jags fan, but live in Jax. It’s harmless. At least they aren’t learning to spell like Jets and Eagles fans.
It's a general quote. Are you literally saying that I am putting words in the mouth of you and every person from Jacksonville by saying Duval County wrong on a message board?? That's pretty ridiculous.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
It's a general quote. Are you literally saying that I am putting words in the mouth of you and every person from Jacksonville by saying Duval County wrong on a message board?? That's pretty ridiculous.
It’s not general at all. You quoted what you thought they said, and you quoted it wrong. Period. There’s no reason we are still going on about this, but here we are.

Reaction Score
It’s not general at all. You quoted what you thought they said, and you quoted it wrong. Period. There’s no reason we are still going on about this, but here we are.
Who's "they"? (See how that works) it was not a direct quote assigned to a person or group of people. It was in quotes to emphasize and highligh(like "they" above) the exact phrase I find annoying. Didn't think that had to be explained but here we are. Hope that clarifies it. Btw, the people I hear saying it are sports broadcasters and sports anchors on tv, not people from Jacksonville since ya know I live in CT not Florida. Didn't think it was the crime of the century to misquote a stupid sports phrase that sounds like it was invented by WWE. Enjoy your Saturday.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Who's "they"? (See how that works) it was not a direct quote assigned to a person or group of people. It was in quotes to emphasize and highligh(like "they" above) the exact phrase I find annoying. Didn't think that had to be explained but here we are. Hope that clarifies it. Btw, the people I hear saying it are sports broadcasters and sports anchors on tv, not people from Jacksonville since ya know I live in CT not Florida. Didn't think it was the crime of the century to misquote a stupid sports phrase that sounds like it was invented by WWE. Enjoy your Saturday.
“They” refers to the Jaguars fans you misquoted in your original post.

And yes, that means you misquoted a group of people. How can you say you didn’t?

Now, do YOU see how this works? This is such a weird argument.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom