Basketball cliches you dont like (and other sports too) | The Boneyard

Basketball cliches you dont like (and other sports too)

Reaction Score
I've always wondered why, over such a long period of basketball's existence, that we have been unable to improve upon the term "dunk" for that action. But Anything that's been tried seems corny: Jam? Slam? Throw down? and the cringy and thankfully out of use ...STUFF .

What are some basketball phrases or sports phrases in general that make you cringe?

I'm also over the ubiquitous "Let's Goooooo!!!"

Reaction Score
seasoning (usually used by people who don’t understand how the current NBA draft works and are convinced their guy should come back for more of it, despite him being weeks away from making money and achieving his dream)

knockdown shooter (yes, a good, reliable, fearless shooter. we all want those, yet there aren’t that many just sitting around ready to join your team… “I know the roster is at 12 but just go out and grab a knockdown shooter and they’re winning it all”)

Reaction Score
"Freak athlete" mostly because it seems like every team has one and usually it's just any guy that has a good vertical

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The phrase "don't leave your feet"

Reaction Score
Or the alternatives, “takes it hard to the hole” or sometimes, “takes it hard to the rack.”
So, whose really in that "concussion tent" in the NFL?

Reaction Score
I think that whole Jacksonville Jaguars "Duuuuuuuuuuval County" thing needs to be dead like disco as soon as yesterday. So annoying.

Reaction Score
More general, every bad thing is a ‘perfect storm’ for last 20 years. Great book, now way overused and applied to too many very predictable regular ‘storms’. Commonly Used in business & sports.

Reaction Score
"They have a chance for a 2 for 1 here." A frequent Jay Bilas observation that I have never seen any team actually try to take advantage of. Coaches and players seem to be completely unable to intellectually fathom the opportunity.

Also, please Donny Marshall, spare us "The bank is open."

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Superstar. Back in the 'olden' days, there were players and maybe a couple of 'stars' on the team. All of a sudden, EVERYBODY is a 'star' and teams have 'superstars. Also, it leads to putting people in the respective Halls of Fame who don't belong there, i.e. Phil Rizzuto, Bill Mazeroski, Joe Namath, Calvin Murphy, Zelmo Beatty. Now we are putting people into the halls before their career is over - "future Hall of Famer."

Reaction Score
“The quarterback is running for his life.”
No, actually he’s running to avoid losing yardage in a football game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom