Balance? | The Boneyard

Balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was reading the Courant chat during lunch and saw Ed say we need to be balanced on offense. Why is that? I think thats the old school mentality that this coaching staff also has. I know it's hard for some to believe, but you can open up the running game with the pass. That is what UConn needs to do here on out to be successful on offense.

Reaction Score
I was reading the Courant chat during lunch and saw Ed say we need to be balanced on offense. Why is that? I think thats the old school mentality that this coaching staff also has. I know it's hard for some to believe, but you can open up the running game with the pass. That is what UConn needs to do here on out to be successful on offense.
I was on that chat too and saw the same thing. I disagree with him on that. He said it was "old school" but believed in it. I dont, but what do I know?

Also, somebody also said that we will never be an "Alabama." My question is this: how did our basketball team go from nothing to 3time champs? Why cant our football program do it?

Reaction Score
I was on that chat too and saw the same thing. I disagree with him on that. He said it was "old school" but believed in it. I dont, but what do I know?

Also, somebody also said that we will never be an "Alabama." My question is this: how did our basketball team go from nothing to 3time champs? Why cant our football program do it?

Football is much harder to move up in, Basketball can have one-two players turn around a program

Reaction Score

This I think is the one thing that drives me nuts the most. People see what Calhoun did and want that to translate to the football program.

Ed answered that in the chat by the way. In hoops 2 players can make the program. In football it takes a lot more. It takes much longer to build a top tier football program. Of course, being in the northeast, where very few people actually care about football, doesn't help any.

Reaction Score

1. Basketball isn't football, and developing a basketball program that can go deep in the tourney is different than being asked to develop a football program that will make the 4 team playoff. If you really disagree with that, ask Butler, VCU and Mason what their plans are for competing for football championships, since they were able to get to Final Fours in hoops.

2. What we accomplished in basketball we largely accomplished because we were lucky enough to hire and retain Jim Calhoun. So yes, the path becomes much easier if the next Urban Meyer is coaching at a I-AA level in New England, you happen to be in a position to hire him when you have an opening, he's shown enough to justify the hiring, no bigger player wants him, and then he's unwilling to go somewhere else once he gets here and demonstrates that he's God. So, other than standing around hoping for lightning to strike twice in the same place, I'm not sure how saying "we did it in hoops" is a plan.

Reaction Score
1. Basketball isn't football, and developing a basketball program that can go deep in the tourney is different than being asked to develop a football program that will make the 4 team playoff. If you really disagree with that, ask Butler, VCU and Mason what their plans are for competing for football championships are, since they were able to get to Final Fours in hoops.

2. What we accomplished in basketball we largely accomplished because we were lucky enough to hire and retain Jim Calhoun. So yes, the path becomes much easier if the next Urban Meyer is coaching at a I-AA level in New England, you happen to be in a position to hire him when you have an opening, he's shown enough to justify the hiring, no bigger player wants him, and then he's unwilling to go somewhere else once he gets here and demonstrates that he's God. So, other than standing around hoping for lightning to strike twice in the same place, I'm not sure how saying "we did it in hoops" is a plan.
your second point is outstanding.

Reaction Score
your second point is outstanding.
wait, i just finished reading it. hahaa. I think lightning can and must strike twice. sounds like you are writing off this team for eternity BL

Reaction Score
For the love of god. What happend with BBall can certainly happen with Fball. Look at the rise and fall fo Miami, VT, ND, Syracuse, Rutgers, Cincinati, Texas, Oregon, etc, etc, etc, etc. Do I need to go on. Get your heads our of your '$.
It takes a under the radar type coach that comes to UConn, transforms it, and stays for the long haul. That coupled with a couple "real" playmakers on offense and we have some good years, good recruiting, and it compounds exponentially just like your stocks do with time.

Teams go up and down so fast, it hall has to do with the coaching. Period. outstanding longterm coaching. The coaches are out there. Now we need to see if our AD is any good at recruiting, or is PP the answer and we dont see it completely yet.

I have not written off this team or this coach. I think he can be a very good coach. BUT, he needs to hold his coaches accountable (OL, OC especially at this point)

Reaction Score
wait, i just finished reading it. hahaa. I think lightning can and must strike twice. sounds like you are writing off this team for eternity BL

I don't ever, in my lifetime (late 30's), expect to see our football program become an elite, top tier national program (top 5 program). How that means that I've written off the team, I have no idea. Personally, I think that goal is more of a fantasy than anything else.

Reaction Score
For the love of god. What happend with BBall can certainly happen with Fball. Look at the rise and fall fo Miami, VT, ND, Syracuse, Rutgers, Cincinati, Texas, Oregon, etc, etc, etc, etc. Do I need to go on. Get your heads our of your '$.
It takes a under the radar type coach that comes to UConn, transforms it, and stays for the long haul. That coupled with a couple "real" playmakers on offense and we have some good years, good recruiting, and it compounds exponentially just like your stocks do with time.

Teams go up and down so fast, it hall has to do with the coaching. Period. outstanding longterm coaching. The coaches are out there. Now we need to see if our AD is any good at recruiting, or is PP the answer and we dont see it completely yet.

I have not written off this team or this coach. I think he can be a very good coach. BUT, he needs to hold his coaches accountable (OL, OC especially at this point)

Oh, that's all we have to do? Find the Jim Calhoun of the college football world? Oh, ok.

Reaction Score
I don't ever, in my lifetime (late 30's), expect to see our football program become an elite, top tier national program (top 5 program). How that means that I've written off the team, I have no idea. Personally, I think that goal is more of a fantasy than anything else.
In you're life time? you expecting to die in the next 15-20 years? Thats what its going to take if UConn big wigs decide to step up and really want to do something meaningful here.

Reaction Score
yeah. thats what every good team out there has done while they were relavent.

With the possible exception of Duke, not a single basketball team in the nation has done what we did (in terms of hiring a coach of Jim Calhoun's level) in the last thirty years.

You are seriously denigrating what Calhoun accomplished in attempting to make your point.

Reaction Score
This I think is the one thing that drives me nuts the most. People see what Calhoun did and want that to translate to the football program.

Ed answered that in the chat by the way. In hoops 2 players can make the program. In football it takes a lot more. It takes much longer to build a top tier football program. Of course, being in the northeast, where very few people actually care about football, doesn't help any.

You add Scam Newton and Fairly (both JC transfers in) to the Uconn BCS team and are a NC contender. I'm sure a lot of other factors also involved but Auburn : 2009 are 8-5; 2010 are 14-0; 2011 are 8-5 and 2012 are 1-3 with overtime win against Louisian Monroe. So these 2 guys are worth 5 more victories in a year!
Add RG3 to last years team and go to BCS game. Win at least 6 games in BE and even the WV game might have been different even though the eventual score was one sided as it played out.
Casey is Drew Brees and think Uconn will win a few games when/if he takes over (assuming GD not OC)? Hell if CW was Daniels, never mind Brees, we would be undefeated and top 25 (even with GD calling plays).

Disagree on very few people in northeast actually care about football, residents of northeast have gone to lot of different schools so no one team captures lot of fans. Years ago my daughter's friends parents were all hyped up about going to "the game", they were talking about Harvard/Yale.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The harder part isn't finding the Calhoun type - although it's hard. It's keeping him. Ask someone like Utah or Houston or Louisville.

Reaction Score
The harder part isn't finding the Calhoun type - although it's hard. It's keeping him. Ask someone like Utah or Houston or Louisville.
Exactly...

Reaction Score
You add Scam Newton and Fairly (both JC transfers in) to the Uconn BCS team and are a NC contender. I'm sure a lot of other factors also involved but Auburn : 2009 are 8-5; 2010 are 14-0; 2011 are 8-5 and 2012 are 1-3 with overtime win against Louisian Monroe. So these 2 guys are worth 5 more victories in a year!
Add RG3 to last years team and go to BCS game. Win at least 6 games in BE and even the WV game might have been different even though the eventual score was one sided as it played out.
Casey is Drew Brees and think Uconn will win a few games when/if he takes over (assuming GD not OC)? Hell if CW was Daniels, never mind Brees, we would be undefeated and top 25 (even with GD calling plays).

Disagree on very few people in northeast actually care about football, residents of northeast have gone to lot of different schools so no one team captures lot of fans. Years ago my daughter's friends parents were all hyped up about going to "the game", they were talking about Harvard/Yale.

If you think that in 2010 we had the same talent across the board as Auburn did (minus Newton & Fairley) then we can save us the time and energy and end the conversation.

And you're free to disagree about the Northeast and college football, but you're wrong.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hell Louisville might do it twice. Strong's name already comes up for bigger jobs. I'm not quite sure how a school like UConn could compete with an SEC job or the NFL. Rutgers couldn't even keep a Schiano in the end, nevermind a Calhoun type.

Reaction Score
Hell Louisville might do it twice. Strong's name already comes up for bigger jobs. I'm not quite sure how a school like UConn could compete with an SEC job or the NFL. Rutgers couldn't even keep a Schiano in the end, nevermind a Calhoun type.

If Strong isn't coaching Arkansas next year I will be stunned.

Reaction Score
Why the hell do you guys even pay attention to UConn football if you honestly dont think they have a shot at becoming relavent. BL, I was not saying we need to find Calhoun. I was saying someone "like" him. Just like ALL the other relavent teams in the country.
It is what it takes to become a real football program. Everybody on this board wants UConn to be a "real" team and compete with the best. Well, if thats what you want then UConn AD's need to find the coach that will take us there. That is a Calhoun type person that will stick around for at least 15 years.

Disagree? Then you are blind and no nothing about how football really is. I am willing to bet you have never touched a varsity ball in any sport or stepped foot on a
collegiate field to play with real talent.

go back to coaching your daughters T-ball league.

Reaction Score
Disagree? Then you are blind and no nothing about how football really is. I am willing to bet you have never touched a varsity ball in any sport or stepped foot on a

Well, that was persuasive.

Reaction Score

Not completely disagreeing with your point but I know quite a few people who are not fb fans who went to "the game" once and it was pretty much for the cocktail party. Even my wife came home talking about it. And she hasn't been to 1 UConn game, although we went to her school's homecoming (reunion) game 10 years ago in Colorado.

Reaction Score
If it is possible for a program to go from local yokel to national powerhouse in, say 15 years can anyone name me some who did just that? Not being sarcastic, just dumb...I've really only been following college football since Renschler Field went operational.

Would Boise State qualify? How did they do it? Maybe we should install Husky blue field turf.:D

Reaction Score
Why the hell do you guys even pay attention to UConn football if you honestly dont think they have a shot at becoming relavent. BL, I was not saying we need to find Calhoun. I was saying someone "like" him. Just like ALL the other relavent teams in the country.

It is what it takes to become a real football program. Everybody on this board wants UConn to be a "real" team and compete with the best. Well, if thats what you want then UConn AD's need to find the coach that will take us there. That is a Calhoun type person that will stick around for at least 15 years.

Internet tough guy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99