Bad news Good news | The Boneyard

Bad news Good news

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can't get Direct TV, too many trees South/Southwest. Bad news.

Looking through my channels, I found SNY on Comcast. Good news. Didn't even know I had it. Not sure when I got it???

Bad news, not in HD. Oh well neither was CPTV.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can't get Direct TV, too many trees South/Southwest. Bad news.

Looking through my channels, I found SNY on Comcast. Good news. Didn't even know I had it. Not sure when I got it???

Bad news, not in HD. Oh well neither was CPTV.
Just went through the same process with DirecTV - bummed me out big time as I HATE Charter - has to be the worst cable provider in the world! (and over the years I have tried most of them - be thankful you have comcast as much as you may hate them.) BUT I do get SNY on Charter so it is not a total disaster. I keep hoping ATT will get Uverse up to Storrs as there is no way I will cut enough trees to see the satellite.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My hopes are high. I just checked my listings for DirecTV in Norwalk and identified Channel 639 as SNY. Since there is no longer anything worth watching on 628 (NESN), I am as ready as any UConn fan can possibly be.

[I just corrected a typo, last line above. I originally had "sny" for "any." Must be a good omen.]

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just went through the same process with DirecTV - bummed me out big time as I HATE Charter - has to be the worst cable provider in the world! (and over the years I have tried most of them - be thankful you have comcast as much as you may hate them.) BUT I do get SNY on Charter so it is not a total disaster. I keep hoping ATT will get Uverse up to Storrs as there is no way I will cut enough trees to see the satellite.

I would gladly cut the trees, afraid they might fall and take out the power, or house but....they are not mine.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Incidently - always check on what the DirecTV installer says.

In NJ they said we couldn't get it because of trees. However, that was only true if they could put the dish where they wanted to (where passerbys could see it). When we told them put it in the back of the house - NO PROBLEM.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

In NJ they said we couldn't get it because of trees. However, that was only true if they could put the dish where they wanted to (where passerbys could see it). When we told them put it in the back of the house - NO PROBLEM.
Unfortunately we checked EVERYWHERE. And here in CT the poor installer doesn't get paid anything if he can't install, so he was climbing all over the place.

Reaction Score
I would gladly cut the trees, afraid they might fall and take out the power, or house but....they are not mine.
Leave a metal pole high up in the trees... let nature do it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My hopes are high. I just checked my listings for DirecTV in Norwalk and identified Channel 639 as SNY. Since there is no longer anything worth watching on 628 (NESN), I am as ready as any UConn fan can possibly be.

[I just corrected a typo, last line above. I originally had "sny" for "any." Must be a good omen.]

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
It may require the Sports Pack, but DirecTV absolutely carries SNY.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I too have had a number of cable companies in my life:

Time Warner
Comcast
Cox

My experience is as follows:

Time Warner- worst in terms of channels carried
Comcast- best cable company in terms of channels carried, worst in terms of customer service
Cox- mediocre on both counts

I've heard nothing but bad things about Charter.

DirecTV is awesome, though they don't carry Longhorn Network. Rumor is they will in a couple of weeks though.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I too have had a number of cable companies in my life:

Time Warner
Comcast
Cox

DirecTV is awesome, though they don't carry Longhorn Network. Rumor is they will in a couple of weeks though.
That would be cool. From my point of view, even cooler if they would carry the new PAC12 network.

The cable out here is Cox, of course I've never had it, but not heard anything really good about them. In NJ it was Cablevision, which was the reason we switched to DirecTV.

And out here the DirecTV installers didn't care where they put it - on a roof to comply with the HOA. But in NJ, they really did want to put it where it could be seen. Of course, this was probably 8 years ago or so.

Reaction Score
Here in CA DirecTV bundles SNY HD in their SportsPack, which I would guess would be the case nationwide. Cost: $12.99/mo., with a minimum requirement that you subscribe for at least 30 days (otherwise there is a $10 fee to disconnect). This works out well for me as I will add the SportsPack only for UConn games and subscribe from October or November through March. No annual subscription needed.

I also read several weeks ago on the DirecTV website about adding just SNY to my account, which iirc was $10/month, a slight savings over SportsPack. Can't find it at the moment though, so can't confirm for sure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I'm working on having a guy come by, but I doubt there is any way to get a clear shot facing South or Southwest (maybe on a 90 ft+ pole??). Way too many trees around. Just the other day a part of one fell and crushed a neighbors garage.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm working on having a guy come by, but I doubt there is any way to get a clear shot facing South or Southwest (maybe on a 90 ft+ pole??). Way too many trees around. Just the other day a part of one fell and crushed a neighbors garage.

Reminds me of an irreverent parody of a famous poem.

Please correct me if my recollection is inaccurate, but I think the original was by Joyce Kilmer and this wiseass version by Ogden Nash.

"I think that I shall never see
A billboard as lovely as a tree.
Indeed, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Reminds me of an irreverent parody of a famous poem.

Please correct me if my recollection is inaccurate, but I think the original was by Joyce Kilmer and this wiseass version by Ogden Nash.

"I think that I shall never see
A billboard as lovely as a tree.
Indeed, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all."
Sounds like Nash and the original was certainly Joyce Kilmer. He was from New Brunswick and a number of things around Rutgers are named after him. Part of the university is on old "Camp Kilmer" property.

Interesting when you travel to note that there are billboard-less areas. However, sound barriers are not a particularly attractive replacement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom