Bad Hat Day (link) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad Hat Day (link)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

On the other hand, according to the Indiana coach, their new helmets ARE impacting recruiting.

"Coach Wilson said the crimson-and-chrome received the most applause from his current players and has created a buzz among recruits, too."The chrome stuff is in vogue. We don't want to be gimmicky, or an Arena League type of thing, but the helmets are cool."
So far, there have been few complaints from inside or outside the program."Frankly, I thought there would be a lot more controversy, but the feedback we've gotten has been uniformly good," athletic director Fred Glass said. "I think players like the chrome, two-tone look with the candy stripes. We'll see how it goes."There is a method to this madness. Why make all these changes now, as Wilson is about to embark on his third season as Indiana's head coach? "We were told it would guarantee that we tackle better, score more points and win more games, and if not, we'd get our money back," Wilson joked. The real question is whether it will make a difference on the field. Wilson knows new helmets won't change the Hoosiers' history. But if the new designs get recruits to take a longer look at Indiana, perhaps it will lead to a future as bright and shiny as the chrome domes the players will wear this fall."It will be nice to have them for the summer," Wilson said, "and we've already started to see it have an impact on recruiting."

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

On the other hand, according to the Indiana coach, their new helmets ARE impacting recruiting.

"Coach Wilson said the crimson-and-chrome received the most applause from his current players and has created a buzz among recruits, too."The chrome stuff is in vogue. We don't want to be gimmicky, or an Arena League type of thing, but the helmets are cool."
So far, there have been few complaints from inside or outside the program."Frankly, I thought there would be a lot more controversy, but the feedback we've gotten has been uniformly good," athletic director Fred Glass said. "I think players like the chrome, two-tone look with the candy stripes. We'll see how it goes."There is a method to this madness. Why make all these changes now, as Wilson is about to embark on his third season as Indiana's head coach? "We were told it would guarantee that we tackle better, score more points and win more games, and if not, we'd get our money back," Wilson joked. The real question is whether it will make a difference on the field. Wilson knows new helmets won't change the Hoosiers' history. But if the new designs get recruits to take a longer look at Indiana, perhaps it will lead to a future as bright and shiny as the chrome domes the players will wear this fall."It will be nice to have them for the summer," Wilson said, "and we've already started to see it have an impact on recruiting."

So basically another school does a video. We didn't and ppl here still defend warde. Indiana is clearly going towards the block I without the U also. Funny we killed the C. They also have a helmet with the middle stripe we have but without middle school art eyes on it. Amazing. Looks like Nike or whoever got them a bunch of helmets and gear. I'm so glad we got just home and away gear and showed them off with the swim and field hockey teams. We're big time because we get it! Horay uconn sports getting it!!!!

The chrome is great. Ours are arena league wolves. He basically called us out.

Reaction Score
I feel your pain HDF, but we were rebranding the overall word-mark identity of the school. Indiana wasn't.We showcased the new UCONN--across the spectrum of all of our various sports. I agree we need to ramp up our marketing and get more creative, but as for Football, I'd predict that "Wolf Eyes" is not the only helmet we will wear.

Reaction Score
My three year old daughter just started a random NBA Jam game on the ipad. Dallas at Minnesota. Her comment about the T-wolves logo on the floor: Jonathan is there.
From the mouths of babes, as the saying goes...or as I put it, we now have the generic wolf/dog/husky/bear.

Reaction Score
So basically another school does a video. We didn't and ppl here still defend warde. Indiana is clearly going towards the block I without the U also. Funny we killed the C. They also have a helmet with the middle stripe we have but without middle school art eyes on it. Amazing. Looks like Nike or whoever got them a bunch of helmets and gear. I'm so glad we got just home and away gear and showed them off with the swim and field hockey teams. We're big time because we get it! Horay uconn sports getting it!!!!

The chrome is great. Ours are arena league wolves. He basically called us out.
and he doesn't mention one kid who is coming to Indiana because of the new helmet, either. And my guess is that come next February on signing day, Indiana will have landed exactly zero players who would have gone to Michigan or Ohio State or Iowa as a result of their candy (oops, make that candy stripe, and did he really say that about a football helmet? It's candy striped!!!)helmet.

Reaction Score
Actually, this new helmet/uniform stuff is getting out of control. It really jumped the shark with Maryland's clownish helmets and bizarro outfits, I hesitate to call them uniforms. Now we have things going beyond what is rational with teams having 5-6 different helmets, somebody has I think 15 different uniform combinations even though they play a maximum of 14 games. And meanwhile Alabama wears its plain old red shirts, red helmets and white pants and wins championships. It used to be that you could turn on a game and pretty much identify the teams by their uniforms and the insignias on them. Even less well known teams were pretty easily identifiable if you followed the game. Now there is no identity to speak of. as I said on an earlier thread, I fully anticipate that in the near future, UConn will take the field in Rutgers scarlet. UNC is wearing black this year. Hell, UConn wore pink and grey basketball uniforms two years ago. Pink and grey! No tradition, in an effort to "market" to 15 year olds, teams have no sense of identity and no interest in creating one.

My guess is that this is a passing phase and in a couple of years things people will get tired of this nonsense. and get that these "special" uniforms aren't particularly special when every one and his brother, except the real national teams, are wearing them. Nothing marks a program as a wannabe more than having these clownish costumes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From the mouths of babes, as the saying goes...or as I put it, we now have the generic wolf/dog/husky/bear.

She actually says he's a dog. But he's also a wolf.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
She actually says he's a dog. But he's also a wolf.

what ever company does those round tabe commercials with little kids and the middle aged sarcastic guy, the we want more commercials.....i wish we had 1 of those for our new logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom