DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
by Moriah Jefferson to start the "3rd quarter"
images

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Have you ever seen a player undergo a metamorphosis from a shooting liability to one of the best in all of women's basketball the way Moriah did? What kind of mental toughness produced that result?
totally amazing... #incredible

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
even Stokes made a 3 in this game (no replay of it tho :()

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting thing with Moriah is that her offensive numbers were dramatically different in January of her freshman year than earlier in the year as well. She started January 2014 shooting threes at just about 30%, then went on a tear in January shooting 3s at 59% through the end of the regular season. In Feb she was shooting threes at 67%!!! Her NCAA tournament was not as good and against ND in the final she couldn't hit the proverbial barn door, but she was great the second half of that year. (FYI - Bria also struggled that year shooting threes at about 26% early before slowly raising her percentage to 37% by years end.)

So the real surprise for me was her struggles at the start of last season - I think it had more to do with her changing role and the team learning how to play without the departed seniors. By the beginning of January she had it figured out and went on another tear.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and back to back 3's vs Rutgers in the tourney with just under 14:00 left in the 1st half

Reaction Score
I've been watching UCONN Women since the days of Jennifer R and Rebecca L. Geno always seems to be able to recruit superior point guards. It was always my belief that Sue B. was the best point guard in UCONN history with Jennifer R. a close second. But I now believe that the pecking order is going to change and Moriah will be recognized as the "best" point guard in our amazing history. Although Stewie is the best player in college, this team success depends greatly on Moriah. Her speed, defense, shooting and assist to turnover ratio are out of this world and a major reason for our 3 NC. She is your typical UCONN player who seems to grow both as a basketball player and a person over her four years at UCONN. As one of the main LEADERS on the team she constantly displaying that her main concern is winning and not individual attention. She always seems to be deferring recognition from herself to other players. Even in the NC game, she voiced her belief that Stewie was the MVP of the Final Four, when I believe most of our fans agreed with Stewie assessment that Moriah was indeed the real MVP. At the conclusion of her forthcoming senior season, both Stewie and herself will always be mentioned in the same sentences with Diana T., Maya M., Tina C., Sue B., and Rebecca L. as the "BEST" players ever to wear a UCONN uniform. Let the season begin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is Kiah Stokes three pointer at the end of the Duke game. As they were bringing the ball up the court the fans were chanting - "We want wings!". After Kiah hit the shot, they chanted - "We got wings!":D:p:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TWG236 - agree with your assessment of college careers - certainly Moriah will have as much right as Sue to the title of best every PG at Uconn. However, Sue's national team and professional record will be hard to match far less exceed, and as with Sue, over time Moriah's Uconn career will get blended into the full picture. Not saying Moriah is not capable of continued greatness - just that we will have to wait quite a while to witness it - not a daunting prospect! :)

Reaction Score
Next year, some lucky WNBA team will draft Stewie, right after or soon after that happens, some smart team will select MoJeff. She has become an orchestrator of the game. Sue B shuddered at the prospect of guarding her in the future during one of her announcing jobs this past season.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've been watching UCONN Women since the days of Jennifer R and Rebecca L. Geno always seems to be able to recruit superior point guards. It was always my belief that Sue B. was the best point guard in UCONN history with Jennifer R. a close second. But I now believe that the pecking order is going to change and Moriah will be recognized as the "best" point guard in our amazing history. Although Stewie is the best player in college, this team success depends greatly on Moriah. Her speed, defense, shooting and assist to turnover ratio are out of this world and a major reason for our 3 NC. She is your typical UCONN player who seems to grow both as a basketball player and a person over her four years at UCONN. As one of the main LEADERS on the team she constantly displaying that her main concern is winning and not individual attention. She always seems to be deferring recognition from herself to other players. Even in the NC game, she voiced her belief that Stewie was the MVP of the Final Four, when I believe most of our fans agreed with Stewie assessment that Moriah was indeed the real MVP. At the conclusion of her forthcoming senior season, both Stewie and herself will always be mentioned in the same sentences with Diana T., Maya M., Tina C., Sue B., and Rebecca L. as the "BEST" players ever to wear a UCONN uniform. Let the season begin.
And Stewie and Moriah will be mentioned as one of the best tandems in UCONN history.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And Stewie and Moriah will be mentioned as one of the best tandems in UCONN history.
and Moriah and KML was one of the best tandems this past season

half of MJ's assist probably went to KML

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen a player undergo a metamorphosis from a shooting liability to one of the best in all of women's basketball the way Moriah did? What kind of mental toughness produced that result?
Moriah Jefferson has been an offensive machine since the age of 12. Let's not be disrespectful to one of my favorite players.

Reaction Score
My wife is an ardent UCONN fan and we never miss watching a game unless we absolutely can't get to a tv or a computer, so she knows the sport and knows our girls, but she had a completely different theory on why MoJeff had such a slow start.

It was her hair. She started the season with it down in a ponytail and my wife didn't like it. It wasn't over fashion that she had a complaint, she felt that you don't ever change a good thing once you've got it right. Years of watching our own kids play high school and college sports had taught her that you never change seats or the position where you're standing during a rally or a winning streak.

If you walk to a trash barrel to discard a food wrapper and while you're there your daughter lines a double, you stay there until the rally is over, and then return to that spot every time she again comes to bat.

When our Asian living daughter was home for Thanksgiving and we told her to be prepared to make room on her bedroom wall for a MoJeff jersey to sit alongside D's, my wife was crushed when Mo had a poor game and seemed out of rythym.

"It's her hair" my wife proclaimed, and when after Christmas she returned to being the best guard in the country my wife was sure it was because she went back to piling it all on top of her head.

Harmony at my house is maintained by not challenging such logic. I watched as the mechanics of Mo's game improved and I noted that she was maturing as an offensive force right before our eyes, but I mostly kept it to myself and let my wife explain to her less informed friends how Mo had lost her way briefly, until Mo too realized that it wasn't her approach that had caused her to underperform, it was her hair and the way she had "incorrectly" tied it.

So now as I prepare to savor our AA point guard's senior season, I hold my breath and hope that she remembers what it is that has made her a star. It's not what is inside her head that has propelled her to greatness; it's what's on top of it.

Reaction Score
My wife is an ardent UCONN fan and we never miss watching a game unless we absolutely can't get to a tv or a computer, so she knows the sport and knows our girls, but she had a completely different theory on why MoJeff had such a slow start.

It was her hair. She started the season with it down in a ponytail and my wife didn't like it. It wasn't over fashion that she had a complaint, she felt that you don't ever change a good thing once you've got it right. Years of watching our own kids play high school and college sports had taught her that you never change seats or the position where you're standing during a rally or a winning streak.

If you walk to a trash barrel to discard a food wrapper and while you're there your daughter lines a double, you stay there until the rally is over, and then return to that spot every time she again comes to bat.

When our Asian living daughter was home for Thanksgiving and we told her to be prepared to make room on her bedroom wall for a MoJeff jersey to sit alongside D's, my wife was crushed when Mo had a poor game and seemed out of rythym.

"It's her hair" my wife proclaimed, and when after Christmas she returned to being the best guard in the country my wife was sure it was because she went back to piling it all on top of her head.

Harmony at my house is maintained by not challenging such logic. I watched as the mechanics of Mo's game improved and I noted that she was maturing as an offensive force right before our eyes, but I mostly kept it to myself and let my wife explain to her less informed friends how Mo had lost her way briefly, until Mo too realized that it wasn't her approach that had caused her to underperform, it was her hair and the way she had "incorrectly" tied it.

So now as I prepare to savor our AA point guard's senior season, I hold my breath and hope that she remembers what it is that has made her a star. It's not what is inside her head that has propelled her to greatness; it's what's on top of it.
Glad to hear you're not challenging the woman's point of view. Men have more worrisome hirsuit concerns: Hair today, gone tomorrow!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom