B1G | Page 19 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think had Georgia Tech been getting a B1G invite today (as it was questionably reported), news of a press conference or a leak would have occurred by now. Most Boneyarders weren't really buying Georgia Tech to the B1G anyways. A small victory for UConn...for now at least.

None of us really thought GT to B1G made any sense. I believe B1G's real targets in the ACC are UNC and UVA. ACC will be full of private schools and secondary state schools after it is all said and done, which is another reason we don't really fit there. We fit into B1G's overall school profile being state flagship who carries its own market. How long will all this play out? No one knows. However, if UVA does leave the ACC, all hell will break loose.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
gtech was to smoke out uva. we need NEED need uva to the b10 to finally get done. i trust it will.

Reaction Score
From a Nebraska blog today http://www.omaha.com/article/20121202/HUSKERS/121209923/1707

"Jim Delany: The press box at Lucas Oil Stadium buzzed with rumors about who the Big Ten commissioner might pick as expansion targets to reach 16 schools.
One thing we know is that a lot of people around the league won't know for sure until it happens. Multiple sources said some Big Ten athletic directors were unaware of the Maryland and Rutgers decisions until the morning of the announcement.

The consensus speculation is that Delany is still on the hunt for two more schools. Among possible targets: North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma and Vanderbilt."

Reaction Score
gtech was to smoke out uva. we need NEED need uva to the b10 to finally get done. i trust it will.

I completely agree. I also think the Big 12 will help get UVA to the B1G. Big 12 now realizes that if the national playoff were this year, it'd be Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon, and Florida. The Big 12 champion KState would be on the outside looking in even though it won its conference and Oregon and Florida didn't. Big 12 needs a championship game to be relevant with the other big 3 conferences or else they'll continually be an afterthought. If 2 southern ACC schools depart for the Big 12, UVA will be much easier to get.

Reaction Score
the vandy aspect of this scares me. its a game changer. its one of the schools we hope doesn't get play. we are on a huge gamble here that we can make the b10s list and win a battle but the more schools that join the list the more likely the crappy acc is for us. worth the risk/patience...it allows the sec to take unc/duke and vt. vandy also makes uva a lock for the b10 and then the b12 has no choice but to clean clock of the acc. now were in the acc of bc/cuse/wake/temple/lville/cincy...

Do you really believe that we turned the ACC invite down? Really?

Reaction Score
the vandy aspect of this scares me. its a game changer. its one of the schools we hope doesn't get play. we are on a huge gamble here that we can make the b10s list and win a battle but the more schools that join the list the more likely the crappy acc is for us. worth the risk/patience...it allows the sec to take unc/duke and vt. vandy also makes uva a lock for the b10 and then the b12 has no choice but to clean clock of the acc. now were in the acc of bc/cuse/wake/temple/lville/cincy...

based on the above we are in the BE.......

Reaction Score
As always, read the articles from the perspective of the agenda of the author. In this case Nebraska. So they put KU and Oklahoma in there. What a surprise.

The Big 10 didn't push east to backtrack west.The northeast from nova to southern new england. That keeps the Big 10 out of its best buddy, the SEC's territory. The south is sec. The upper midwest and ne is Big 10. Texas and plains are big 12. The pac 12 is west. The acc is partitioned to the SEC. Geographic balance

Vandy has a huge problem of gaining any traction in Tennessee. Look where its students are from. Nobody in Tennessee will want to pay subsriber fees for the BTN. Tenn fans would burn down the cable companies' offices.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Took the survey twice. I answered UConn the first time and it said "thanks for replying". Then I took it again (this time I stated my favorite team was Rutgers), answered a series of questions about naming and whether or not further expansion should be done. The last question allows for free form comments, which I stated UConn would be an excellent addition based on market, academic, and athletic excellence. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my comment is the one comment that tips the scales in our favor! Ha!

Reaction Score

Do not be afraid of a Vandy move to the B1G. I live in greater nashville and there would be a huge backlash if Vandy made the jump. In all honesty, Vandy rarely fills their 40K stadium, and when they do it is only the away fans from UT,'bama, or UGA. The admin folks and professors may love the move, but Nashville is deep and strong SEC country, and other than Atlanta is one of the strong SEC metro areas. Nashville is a host city for hoops tourneys and would be a big loss in the eyes of SEC commissioner's office.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Do not be afraid of a Vandy move to the B1G. I live in greater nashville and there would be a huge backlash if Vandy made the jump. In all honesty, Vandy rarely fills their 40K stadium, and when they do it is only the away fans from UT,'bama, or UGA. The admin folks and professors may love the move, but Nashville is deep and strong SEC country, and other than Atlanta is one of the strong SEC metro areas. Nashville is a host city for hoops tourneys and would be a big loss in the eyes of SEC commissioner's office.

I was just about to provide a similar reply. I was going to talk about the culture-shock that Vandy would experience if they joined the B1G. I work with a person who graduated from Vandy, and she very much identifies herself with the south. I feel like Vandy would not sever ties with a rich southern conference to go with an ever-so-slightly rich northern conference. That's my take on it anyways...

Reaction Score
I can't see the B1G taking an SEC school, that would create a collegiate civil war. There are enough ACC, BE and Big 12 schools to pillage without infringing on each other.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
yup twice

Has ANYONE (besides the voice in your head) reported this? A single person? A single unreliable person on Twitter even? We're hearing all kinds of leaked information and not a peep about UConn's supposed rejection of the ACC. Incredible how that fact has managed to stay a secret, don't you think?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
never seen the horde report it, but then again how would they ever get tht info? it would require them to ask people tuff questions.

Forget the Horde -- has ANYONE even HINTED at this?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
susan hinted a while back that when some schools moved and bad things were said in the media that uconn wasn't desperate for a move. this was when espn post acc raid started pumping uconn as the bc ad started his ranting at uconn. mixed signals becuase neither knew how to deal with the reality that uconn was worth enough for the b10 and could pass by the acc and its hold at the time on the coast line.

I meant someone impartial. You are really bending over backwards here.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
HFD, you are either bats*it crazy or absolutely dead on, but regardless you are consistent.
I completely agree that there are a lot of little "tells" out there I outlined in an older thread that we could be headed to the B1G, but its damn frustrating when you don't hear any "leaks" linking us from other outlets. I do remain hopeful however that we are reading the tea leaves correctly and in the near future will be announced to B1G... Recent history shows us that this could very well be close to a done deal and we wouldn't know until the last minute. The B1G knows that this doesn't need to be rushed while waiting to see how other pieces come together (UVA, UNC... etc..) and in fact we could have been sealed up before the ACC "snubbing".
Wishful thinking??? ... Perhaps... But very plausible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I do believe that in prior to both raids, UConn indicated a desire to see the BE hold together.

Dooley

Reaction Score
HFD - if they signed a be quiet piece of paper and they were pumped enough to spill some leaks, wouldn't that jeopardize our B10 app? Maybe there are people in the know that have been sworn to say no, you know?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im revisiting my orginal pumping pre all this md/ruty to b10 stuff.

it was uva/md/unc/ruty/uconn/nd to the b10 by 2015/17 and that gets them to 18 with room for 2 more based on what happens to the acc and b12 in the future via the sec/pac.

i still believe this should be the b10's goal. and this should be the side project. if u notice, the 7 big east bball onlys have the same footprint and man other good bball onlys share this quality also. i believe the b10n should give the league a 1mil per tv deal and it can be just a b10network thing, and u can create a alliance for a challeneg off it. more importantly it allows the b10 to help that league expand to cities in the b10 footprint that aren't covered by football schools. providence is a good example. uconn can reach it but not fully, prov seals the deal. sju is another bump in nyc. siean, butler, dayton, creighton types...

Reaction Score
im revisiting my orginal pumping pre all this md/ruty to b10 stuff.

it was uva/md/unc/ruty/uconn/nd to the b10 by 2015/17 and that gets them to 18 with room for 2 more based on what happens to the acc and b12 in the future via the sec/pac.

i still believe this should be the b10's goal. and this should be the side project. if u notice, the 7 big east bball onlys have the same footprint and man other good bball onlys share this quality also. i believe the b10n should give the league a 1mil per tv deal and it can be just a b10network thing, and u can create a alliance for a challeneg off it. more importantly it allows the b10 to help that league expand to cities in the b10 footprint that aren't covered by football schools. providence is a good example. uconn can reach it but not fully, prov seals the deal. sju is another bump in nyc. siean, butler, dayton, creighton types...

HFD, you're a crazy bastard, but that doesn't mean you're not a genius. As a charter member and the only one left playing football, UConn is in a unique position to help the bb onlies to a safe landing spot, especially with TV negotiations going on concurrently with all this realignment crap. The split will happen if UConn leaves. An A10 on steriods bb league is a no brainer. I hope someone in Storrs hears the same voices you do. If not send up a case or two of Makers and lets make this happen.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Agreed. That would be one genius powerplay for UConn. HFD - I really hope that you have some sort of insider info/connections with UConn and all of this realignment business.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HFD, you're a crazy bastard, but that doesn't mean you're not a genius. As a charter member and the only one left playing football, UConn is in a unique position to help the bb onlies to a safe landing spot, especially with TV negotiations going on concurrently with all this realignment crap. The split will happen if UConn leaves. An A10 on steriods bb league is a no brainer. I hope someone in Storrs hears the same voices you do. If not send up a case or two of Makers and lets make this happen.

i think the b10 is all about the gravy train and they are proving it. so i still hold that the 18 i guess should be the 18 and that 20 down the road is a def also. lets say 2 of cuse/bc/gtech/kan are in the running for those spots. anyway, to the bball thing. i think the b10 is in a unique situation to do it. lets say the split happens and the 7 bball schools take the big east name for example here. of those 7 i see this.

prov-ri cable boxes/uconn matchup
shu-nj cb's $$/ruty matchup
sju-more nyc presence-open matchup but national known brand(possibly nd)
nova-phili cb's on top of psu/ruty. psu matchup
gtown-dc cb's/md matchup
marq-wisc cb's /wisc matchup
dep-chi cb's/ nwest matchup

the b10 network just got better prices in all 7 of those markets.

now explore:
creighton-nebraska
drake-iowa
wichita st-kansas
stl- ?(illinois maybe) (mizzu market that is held by b10 without mizzu, why they passed on them and mizzu went to sec...)
oak/det-mich/msu both possible but not high on list i would think
bradley-illinois
dayton-tosu
butler-purdue
xavier-ind
duq-?
siena-syracuse
w&m-uva
bu-bc (if u bring in bc, with bu's aau thing u make them a associate member of the b10 puck league also...)
david-unc

just something to chew on...i think u could make a pretty nice bball only league and pick your 16 or 18 from that list pretty easily...

just imagine the b10 network with a tier 2 deal. espn gets the league for 2 or 3 mil per team and gives them ok slots in winter programing but behind the big boys. b10 network gives them double headers on wd/fri nights and some weekend slots. killer $ opp for the b10n and a absolutely killer idea for them to OWN the footprint in both fball and bball. some 1 has to have visions like this. i have never once seen this talked about on a message board, but it sure imho should make some b10 person at least look it up and see if it makes $$ sense. sure seems like it would. imagine owning anything thats relevant in the north east of college sports. then lets talk about taking over HE by taking nd/uconn/bc/bu. HE could be its small league still but a step behind the b10 puck league. and then lets talk about how w&m, nova, gtown, butler and all those teams all create there own b10 jr fcs football league as more of a partnership among everyone. they become a monster fcs leave with tv money and so on....i great ideas and visions.

Dooley

Reaction Score
[i **** great ideas and visions.[/quote]

You really do, my man. Especially if the B10N created a B10N2, B10N3, etc (similar to ESPN2). If they follow your ideas, they would dominate college sports coverage from Nebraska to Maine, from Minnesota to North Carolina. That's a HUGE coverage zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom