B12 to 16? WVU fans seem to think it's possible | Page 4 | The Boneyard

B12 to 16? WVU fans seem to think it's possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
so while they weren't Big East members, they were part of a logical footprint for an Eastern football league.

I won't argue the geography--they were not financial equals or equals as National powers. Temple and Rutgers for certain and Pitt was going through a long soft patch in the 80s where Penn State was King and they were Queen .

SU and BC and Pitt and Rutgers should have left the Big East and added Miami and the rest. Which brings up another sad reality--they didn't want to be orphans and burn bridges and weren't sure of their product.

They could ahve done this up to the 1998 BCS without any trouble except they 1) didn't have the confidence and extra teams of quality to do this and 2) They were waiting on the ACC. If the ACC didn't call they had the best solution they were going to get anyway.

I have a hard time with the basketball schools being blamed up to the 2003 split. The football schools could have split anytime. No balls IMHO. Now they cry? It's obvious they don't mind splitting in the middle of a contract IF THE MONEY IS THERE.

The 14 team alignments allowed them to do what they wanted to do anyway but were afraid to do on their own because they knew they didn't have that good a product and didn't have any other team additions to really make it work as a football conference and split from basketball.

I put all the blame on the football schools. The reason they never split off? They have big mouths, huge aspirations, and HGH-shrunken Cohones. Flipper's little raisins for example.

Reaction Score
The football schools in the ACC no longer have any ground to speak on. We're headed for the ACC, at worst. I hope the Big 12 or B1G would grab us and Rutgers first. Could schedule an OOC game with Syracuse every year. I am sure they want revenge.

http://www.theday.com/article/20120105/SPORT01/301059505/-1/SPORT

Sot that's this newspaper writer's opinion in that article huh?! No sources referenced.....well you know what the say opinions.....like something else, everyone's got one. I'm not impressed.

The fact is that this athletic department needs an AD that is experienced in handling a major university athletic department that competes at the BCS/ 1-A level in football and is comfortable with the bridge that needs to be built between university adminisration, athletics personnel and conference leadership in the current national intercollegiate landscape. I'm pretty sure that Herbst, coming up here from Georgia, recognized that pretty early on given the situation she walked into around athletics at this university.

It's a pretty exclusive hiring pool, and Pendergast is not swimming in it. Pendergast is fantastic in his role with this university, and everyone is glad to have him back right where he belongs, and I'm pretty sure he's comfortable in his role too. The guy produces results.

Reaction Score
It's already pretty much been made clear we are next in line to get into the ACC, at worst. But I think we have an athletic department worthy of being considered by stronger conferences. The Big 12 is surprisingly the strongest, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I don't exactly know how the decision to add football to the Big East was originally reached but my recollection was that there were 2 factors that came into play. first was an NCAA "desire" if it wasn't a rule, to have all sports compete under existing established conferces if they could. that was the reason why, for example, the current Atlantic Hockey Association was formed originally as a division of the MAAC despite the fact that the majority of the members weren't members of the MAAC in any other sports. The second was that BC and Syracuse actually argued for adding football to the Big East rather than breaking off to form a league and several of the basketball schools including UCONN supported the idea. There was an interest in retaining the traditonal basketball rivalries that had been strengthened by the formation of the Big East. addin gthe other schools that had been part of the eastern football tradition, Pitt, West Virginia, in particular, made sense. Some where added for numerical reasons, Temple, Rutgers you could argue fell into that catagory, though rutgers in th elate 80s, while not a power, wasn't a laughing stock either. Temple was more a place filler and that was among the reasons they were never a full member.

As far as th eidea of the B-12 going to 16, I have thought from the beginning that it really makes too much sense to happen. Adding UCONN, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy, South Florida along with West Virginia would really establish the B-12 in the east, get a foothold in Florida to supplement their Texas recruiting, and make them the conference in the northeast, likely pushing the ACC further and further into the background. for the basketballcentric, you'd be hard pressed to oppose adding Kansas and Texas among others to the schedule, even if it meant losing St Johns.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn's situation reminds of what Ferris Bueller said about his buddy. He's going to marry the first girl that says "Yes."

Reaction Score
UConn's situation reminds of what Ferris Bueller said about his buddy. He's going to marry the first girl that says "Yes."

I don't agree with that. I think Ferris said that Cameron would marry the first girl that agrees to screw him, and she would treat him like because she wouldn't respect the way he kisses her ass.

Reminds me a lot of what's happened to programs that have gone to the ACC, and what' happening with the program that's trying to go big 12, rather than the situation UConn is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom