B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’ve seen that too. I just don’t see how the math Works.
This is where the Big 12 should think proactively. If they pluck SDSU and UConn all sports you are grabbing the schools that the ACC and PAC won't have available to backfill with making them weaker. At this point I prefer the Big 12 to the ACC. The ACC with 4 schools in North Carolina, and schools publicly saying they want out the league or uneven revenue distribution, and TV contract in place for the next 13 years is not in a good place.

Reaction Score
FSU (not listed above with ACC) is #83.
Missed them I'll update. I just scanned and some of the names were weird and I missed them. EDIT: Well never mind I can't update it anymore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is where the Big 12 should think proactively. If they pluck SDSU and UConn all sports you are grabbing the schools that the ACC and PAC won't have available to backfill with making them weaker. At this point I prefer the Big 12 to the ACC. The ACC with 4 schools in North Carolina, and schools publicly saying they want out the league or uneven revenue distribution, and TV contract in place for the next 13 years is not in a good place.
And yet, still better than where we are.

Reaction Score
And yet, still better than where we are.
That goes without saying, sitting inside the P5 is better than being on the outside looking in. But as we saw with the so called Alliance that fell apart, everyone is in competition to not fall too far behind where the B1G and SEC are headed. If there is a race to number 3, The ACC and PAC appear to be a step behind the Big 12 at the moment. The Big 12 has a better current contract than the other 2 and will go to market again before the ACC is eligible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That goes without saying, sitting inside the P5 is better than being on the outside looking in. But as we saw with the so called Alliance that fell apart, everyone is in competition to not fall too far behind where the B1G and SEC are headed. If there is a race to number 3, The ACC and PAC appear to be a step behind the Big 12 at the moment. The Big 12 has a better current contract than the other 2 and will go to market again before the ACC is eligible.
The ACC contract is a bit better than the B12. The Big12 coming up again soon is a negative. It’s likely to go down unless they merge with some PAC schools. Adding SDSU and UConn would sink it. I bet they wish they didn’t add UCF and BYU. Needed CinciI for football and Houston is solid. They need ASU, UA, Utah and Colorado.

Lots could still happen

Reaction Score
The ACC contract is a bit better than the B12. The Big12 coming up again soon is a negative. It’s likely to go down unless they merge with some PAC schools. Adding SDSU and UConn would sink it. I bet they wish they didn’t add UCF and BYU. Needed CinciI for football and Houston is solid. They need ASU, UA, Utah and Colorado.

Lots could still happen
Not so sure about some of ^...

Big12 not necessarily to go downward unless they bring in Pac schools; they're showing more innovation and they have found upwardly mobile football programs with a deep basketball conference.

BYU is actually a very good economic decision as they drive football eyeballs and game attendance both and home and on the road.

Actually on average from a football standpoint, Cincinnati and Houston are better than AZ, ASU, Utah and CO.

Reaction Score

Lots could still happen
You could be right. But removing an option off the table from a competitor cannot be seen as a bad move. If the 12 grabs SDSU where does the PAC go to get back into Southern California? If they want to get into the Northeast who can they grab that the ACC might have an interest in at some point?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You could be right. But removing an option off the table from a competitor cannot be seen as a bad move. If the 12 grabs SDSU where does the PAC go to get back into Southern California? If they want to get into the Northeast who can they grab that the ACC might have an interest in at some point?
The PAC is already dead. It’s just a matter of who picks apart the carcass. It’s about to become something like the American was. Maybe a bit better. They are about to understand what a massive disadvantage it is to be on Pacific time.

B1G would probably love Washington. Then you’ve got good at football Oregon that doesn’t have the research profile. Great research Stanford and Cal that mostly suck at sports. UDub doesn’t have a partner or they’d be gone already.

The Big 12 doesn’t want to spread out to the east. There be dragons. I’m sure they wish they didn’t have UCF and they’d give WVU the boot if possible. Adding the AZ schools, Utah and bringing Colorado back creates a nice area where they can plant their flag with no real competition. Regional relevance does matter. Not so much markets.

Reaction Score
UDub doesn’t have a partner or they’d be gone already.

A partner seems unnecessary. Conferences can stage a football championship game without divisions now, and the Big Ten played with an odd numbered membership for more than two decades.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The PAC is already dead. It’s just a matter of who picks apart the carcass. It’s about to become something like the American was. Maybe a bit better. They are about to understand what a massive disadvantage it is to be on Pacific time.

B1G would probably love Washington. Then you’ve got good at football Oregon that doesn’t have the research profile. Great research Stanford and Cal that mostly suck at sports. UDub doesn’t have a partner or they’d be gone already.

The Big 12 doesn’t want to spread out to the east. There be dragons. I’m sure they wish they didn’t have UCF and they’d give WVU the boot if possible. Adding the AZ schools, Utah and bringing Colorado back creates a nice area where they can plant their flag with no real competition. Regional relevance does matter. Not so much markets.

It does make you wonder if Big12 knew they could have gotten the four corner schools if they would have gone after Cincy, BYU and UCF. Houston is obviously right in their footprint and a cultural fit.

Reaction Score
It does make you wonder if Big12 knew they could have gotten the four corner schools if they would have gone after Cincy, BYU and UCF. Houston is obviously right in their footprint and a cultural fit.
I suspect that they would have taken the 4 corners and held at 12. That said, when OU/UT bolted for The SEC they went into survival mode. All the talk was focused on The PAC potentially poaching Big 12 Teams not vice versa. They needed to solidify their ranks and make it to the TV Negotiating Table before The PAC 12. I do think things are fluid, and The Big 12 is expressing a desire to be more of a national conference than a regional one. We'll see how it works out for them.

Reaction Score
I think the B12 is trying to become the third most important conference after the B10 and SEC. The idea would likely be to try to compete with the top two conferences, and have a clear edge in basketball and to be represented in the football playoffs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They'd take Cinci because they played in the Championship game two years ago. They had to replace football. Houston too. UCF and BYU? No way. But honestly, by moving quickly to expand and lock in the contract, they killed the PAC. Otherwise, the PAC might have been raiding them.

Reaction Score
They'd take Cinci because they played in the Championship game two years ago. They had to replace football. Houston too. UCF and BYU? No way. But honestly, by moving quickly to expand and lock in the contract, they killed the PAC. Otherwise, the PAC might have been raiding them.
I'm actually curious to see how UCF plays out and if it continues its success. It has the largest enrollment of all the schools in the State University System of Florida, it's in Orlando, and it's less than an hour to the beach and Cape Canaveral

Whatever the endgame, the Big 12 should just go invite everyone. It's not an end destination so it may as well be the last stop. If programs eventually leave for the B1G or SEC, fine, there's the hefty exit fee. If you can't be the best, be the biggest.

Reaction Score
In so many ways though UConn fits the ACC. For most of the conference, it is basketball first. It reunites us with old rivals like BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Louisville and adds schools we have played a number of times like Carolina and NC State, Duke and Virginia.

There is all this talk about Florida State and Clemson leaving for the SEC but that assumes the SEC would take them against the wishes of Florida and South Carolina. Virginia and UNC to the Big? 2 programs whose identity is A. Southern more thanMidwestern B. Very intimately tied to the ACC in a way you need to experience to understand, especially UNC. UNC basketball without Duke is BC hockey without BU or Red Sox baseball without the Yankees or Michigan without Ohio State. We don’t have those kings of rivalries so we don’t really understand their depth. Plus you think AAC travel was brutal. Yikes!

Reaction Score
UCF is unlike most traditional colleges.....

70,000 students...but 35% are totally online.

And UCF is dispersed through 13 regional campuses around Central Florida. 17% of students live on a campus.

Reaction Score
I think the B12 is trying to become the third most important conference after the B10 and SEC. The idea would likely be to try to compete with the top two conferences, and have a clear edge in basketball and to be represented in the football playoffs.

They have to go national to achieve this goal.

Reaction Score
In this podcast, Dennis Dodd discusses Big12 expansion. He said that after Yormark said that the Big12 is open for business, both UConn and Memphis contacted the Big12. But he doesn't know where that stands because Yormark wants to get into the Pacific time zone and his Plan A is the PAC12 schools and his secondary plan is SDSU and possibly UNLV.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
In this podcast, Dennis Dodd discusses Big12 expansion. He said that after Yormark said that the Big12 is open for business, both UConn and Memphis contacted the Big12. But he doesn't know where that stands because Yormark wants to get into the Pacific time zone and his Plan A is the PAC12 schools and his secondary plan is SDSU and possibly UNLV.

Starts talking about Big 12 expansion around the 11 min mark and UConn reaching out at around 14 mins. Sounds like Dodd has an article coming out tomorrow about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Starts talking about Big 12 expansion around the 11 min mark and UConn reaching out at around 14 mins. Sounds like Dodd has an article coming out tomorrow about it.
Thanks, that made that easy. For what it’s worth immediately after mentioning that the big 12 got calls from Connecticut and Memphis after it said that it was “open for business” he then goes on to comment “I’m not sure that’s gonna happen.” So, yeah, I mention, but almost immediately afterwards a dismissal.

Of course, since the supposed phone call, we’ve won another national championship. I’m not sure if that makes us materially more desirable, though it sure seems like it should. He does go on to say that the big 12 is looking to have games starting at 12 PM eastern on the East Coast right up through night games on the West Coast. We sure seem like a good fit for that noon slot.

I have to say that I am kind of “meh” about the big 12 rumors. Yeah, if we could get full membership and a full share, it would dramatically help the athletic department financially. I’m just not sure how much a “national conference“ moves the needle for our Fanbase, myself included. Probably just AAC PTSD talking though.

Reaction Score
If these guys are right, that there may be 70-80 -- not 40-48 -- top competing schools I think B12 may be able to become the "third" conference with teams from coast to coast, possibly including UConn. If they push themselves enough, they could be close to B10 and SEC in what they get from TV networks. Let's face it, the PAC12 is likely far from that. The ACC may think it's competitive with the top two or three but without some key changes, such as UConn coming aboard very soon, it's future is dim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom