Azzi's Shot... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi's Shot...

Reaction Score
Michael Jordon once went 1 -17 in a game before he started sinking them. He said his philosophy was "when you're on shoot......when you're not on, shoot till you're on." It looks like her problem is her legs or rather her one leg. That one leg isnt giving her the push shes used to and its taking time to get the right feel, the "smooth even" feel that shes used to. It'll come.
Actually, Dick Barnett, who was a “gunner” on the NY Knicks two championship teams, said virtually the same thing a generation before Jordan. ”If I’m hot I shoot. If I’m not hot I shoot ’til I get hot.”

Reaction Score
While it's important that Azzi find her touch, it's equally important that her presence changes the whole dynamic of the game, 'cause the other guys can't just pack in the middle. So I'd love to see her get tons of baskets tomorrow, but you just cannot underestimate the Azzi deterrent factor.
Just being available and sitting on the bench changes the dynamic because the players on the floor can play harder, not worry so much about fouls or needing to go 40 minutes knowing there is more than adequate backfill on the bench. Caroline helps in this regard also.

Reaction Score
As a reminder, Azzi won a 3-point contest with her foot in a boot. She'll find her rhythm.
Milford, I hear what you are saying, but didn't Azzi come in second with her foot in a boot? I thought she lost on a tie breaker to some kid named Caroline. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Azzi is just hurrying her shot a split second-not getting much lift off her feet. My sense is that once she relaxes just a bit, her percentage will go up.

Reaction Score
I think most believe Azzi will shake off the rust and start hitting as normal, but when is starting to get to be concerning. Giving her the BE tournament to get it back seems reasonable to me, but after a week of good routines and practices I didn't expect the slump to extend into the NCAA tournament.

Obviously the floor spacing impact is big even if she is off, and for the Vermont game and maybe Baylor, it might not be critical, but very soon we will need pre injury Azzi not a solid role player. Getting Azzi and Caroline back is huge, but while they are available, they have not been all the way back to healthy form.

I was encouraged by the movement of both Azzi and Caroline, and Caroline might have had a breakout game in the last one. Other than the outcome, I am most interested in how Azzi and Caroline do against Baylor. I would hate to go into the remaining rounds with two players still shaking the rust off, so to speak. We need them back in every sense of the word.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jerry Reed a old favorite of mine and a heck of a good guitar player actor etc, said it best. He not singing about basketball at all but the way his words fit the game. Having played, watched the game all my life he says it best. When your hot your hot, when your not your not!
We have to hope Azzi gets hot sooner rather than waiting for next year. Wish her nothing but the best and hope she gets her mojo working. Yikes that reminds me of another song...... I'll let it go for now. :)

Actor? LOL. As an actor, Jerry Reed was a great singer.

1679313427265.jpeg

Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't need Azzi to shoot 60% to win. They need her on defense, they need her court smarts passing to the right person on time, and getting a few rebounds. At this point maybe she only needs to be a body to make sure the rotation gets rest and doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Here's the thing though, I think she will find her rhythm shooting and be a big reason they win a game they otherwise would have lost. She is capable of putting 30 points on the board and every team they play is worried it will be against them. UCONN is in great shape whether she scores a bunch or she doesn't.

Reaction Score
but when is starting to get to be concerning. Giving her the BE tournament to get it back seems reasonable to me, but after a week of good routines and practices I didn't expect the slump to extend into the NCAA tournament. very soon we will need pre injury Azzi not a solid role player.. I would hate to go into the remaining rounds with two players still shaking the rust off, so to speak. We need them back in every sense of the word.
Azzi is, of course, a tremendous player. But thank you for identifying the point I've been trying to make. As the big dance progresses the Huskies are going to encounter higher quality teams. Stronger defenses, and of course coaches who really are preparing.

Facing all that and understanding that her mere presence is uplifting without production I suspect adjustments by Husky opponents will make life very difficult particularly in the paint.

So again thank you for focusing on the thesis that I attempted to make earlier and the concern I have.

Tonight the Huskies play a very very good three-point shooting team. Concerns that Husky fans must have would be ability to defend the arc particularly when looking back at the Vermont game.

With Azzi's struggles to find the bottom of the net one wonders offensively what Geno and CD will draw up.

If Aubrey and Lou are limited the contest with Baylor should be a barn burner.

I also share your concern about Azzi and Caroline Ducharme knocking the rust off.

Your post said it much better than I attempted to. Also I think your credibility as a long time BYer generated a whole lot less negative blowback.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi is, of course, a tremendous player. But thank you for identifying the point I've been trying to make. As the big dance progresses the Huskies are going to encounter higher quality teams. Stronger defenses, and of course coaches who really are preparing.

Facing all that and understanding that her mere presence is uplifting without production I suspect adjustments by Husky opponents will make life very difficult particularly for in the paint.

So again thank you for focusing on the thesis that I attempted to make earlier and the concern I have.

Tonight the Huskies play a very very good three-point shooting team. Concerns that Husky fans must have would be ability to defend the arc particularly when looking back at the Vermont game.

With Azzi's struggles to find the bottom of the net one wonders offensively what Geno and CD will draw up.

If Aubrey and Lou are limited the contest with Baylor should be a barn burner.

I also share your concern about Azzi and Caroline Ducharme knocking the rust off.

Your post said it much better than I attempted to. Also I think your credibility as a long time BYer generated a whole lot less negative blowback.
Lets just fact check a few things:

- Baylor shots 31% from 3pt percentage which is not even top 50 in the country- i would guess its below 100 considering the 50th best team is 34.5%

- Uconn ranks 35th in the country at 3pt % defense, allowing 27.8%

- Geno has already said Lou and Aubrey are available and there are no plans to limit them

- Ducharme just shot 100% from the field in her last game

- If teams decide to leave Azzi Fudd wide open from three Geno will need to draw nothing up because it will be a 20 point game within 5 possessions

Your posts are factually inaccurate and sound like they come from an opposing fan hoping for the worst for Azzi/UConn. Maybe you are a UConn fan idk but your posts are so negatively skewed against the team and reality its hard to tell.

Reaction Score
I think most believe Azzi will shake off the rust and start hitting as normal, but when is starting to get to be concerning. Giving her the BE tournament to get it back seems reasonable to me, but after a week of good routines and practices I didn't expect the slump to extend into the NCAA tournament.

Obviously the floor spacing impact is big even if she is off, and for the Vermont game and maybe Baylor, it might not be critical, but very soon we will need pre injury Azzi not a solid role player. Getting Azzi and Caroline back is huge, but while they are available, they have not been all the way back to healthy form.

I was encouraged by the movement of both Azzi and Caroline, and Caroline might have had a breakout game in the last one. Other than the outcome, I am most interested in how Azzi and Caroline do against Baylor. I would hate to go into the remaining rounds with two players still shaking the rust off, so to speak. We need them back in every sense of the word.
I'd also say to this, the thing Azzi needs the most is more game reps. Having 10 days off between games isn't doing her any favors in shaking off that rust.

Reaction Score
And shooting in practice is not the same as shooting in a game situation. She just needs to see a few shots go through the net and she'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Azzi, no matter how badly she shoots in a first half. always shoots better in the second half- when it reall

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, I hear what you are saying, but didn't Azzi come in second with her foot in a boot? I thought she lost on a tie breaker to some kid named Caroline. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

She won the 3-point contest at the Curry Camp over the other girls and boys in a boot.

She finished 2nd to Caroline, also in a boot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom