Azzi :( | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So sorry to hear this. That is why I think that she and Paige should use their covid year and stay at UConn beyond their 4 years. With their history of injuries, they would be wise to get their Masters degrees for free.
Besides that, they probably can't afford the pay cut they would get playing in the W. Relax, folks, that was a joke...

Azzi was in high school for the Covid year. But both she and Paige potentially can play at Uconn in 2024-25 and 2025-26.

Reaction Score
Azzi may be like Shea Ralph. All the talent and heart in the world but knees that can’t sustain it.
I had the same thought and had just texted it to someone

Reaction Score
Sad news, but not unexpected. Unfort., for women players (unlike men), once you get a serious knee injury, the likelihood of another injury to the same knee keeps going up. So, when Geno says "she'll be back better than ever..", that's more sentiment than medical facts. Its the rare case that the player is better than ever. Hopefully, Paige is one of those rare cases. The greater likelihood is that this has become a chronic condition. UConn has had more than its share of this..Ralph, Doty, etc.

Reaction Score
I can’t even. I written repeatedly that all I wanted was to see Paige and Azzi play together for a season. That’s it. I didn’t think I was asking too much in saying that. Now I fell like I jinxed it by saying it out loud. Godspeed Azzi. UConn Nation is here for you.

Reaction Score
In recent years, trainers in various sports have implemented strength and agility training to specifically strengthen knee muscles especially for girls. They can analyze how you jump and run and see if there is a natural weakness there and work to reduce the risks. There's been a large decrease in ACL injuries among girls who do these exercises, but nothing is a guarantee. Some people never reach their potential due to physical shortcomings that lead to repeat injuries. Gregg Oden is one player that comes to mind whose chronic knee issues got in the way of greatness.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Poor Azzi. Hope she is able to keep her spirits up during her rehab. No one knows more about that than her best friend Paige. Hope she is able to recover and come back to the game she obviously loves, but like several others on here, I fear her body may not be capable of keeping up with her talent.

But also a big blow for the team given that they were relying on Azzi being great this season. The 4 freshmen, especially the 3 guard/wings will all need to contribute more than before she went down.

Rough for the team - 3rd year in a row completely devastated by injuries. We will all need to root extra hard and be extra patient with the new kids...

Reaction Score
I am sick to my core... for Azzi, for her family, for her teammates, and lastly (least importantly) for we fans.... Someone or something cast a spell on this program a few years back....

Reaction Score
I wish Azzi a successful surgery and a complete recovery. I expect she will have the full support of her team to get through this challenge.

Reaction Score
I am sick to my core... for Azzi, for her family, for her teammates, and lastly (least importantly) for we fans.... Someone or something cast a spell on this program a few years back....
Hmmm ...I have a guess.

Reaction Score
It's Crazy the way these injuries are happening to our program. Feel bad for that young lady. Just hope her mental ok.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I feel so saddened for Azzi. She is so talented. Life can be cruel. Shea had 2000; I hope Azzi can at least play for an entire season.

I can’t help but think the coaches and staff knew or at least sensed the extent of the injury on Sunday. Paige’s homecoming, her best friend and teammate hurting, Azzi has family in Minnesota. What a range of emotions for the coaches and players.

Time for the coaches and players to pull together. They have a lot of experience doing that.

Reaction Score
at this point she may just need to move on with her life. Even if she is able to play at all for what is remaining of college, no professional team will gamble on that extensive injury history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom