Azzi assesses her progress in summer session | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi assesses her progress in summer session

Reaction Score
This is just the tip of the iceberg. She's going to learn so much during her freshman year. SMH. As good as she is, and as good as she will be this coming year, imagine how much better she'll be after she's been around the block once, and has a full year of experience under her belt. There is high school and AAU experience, then there's D1 WCBB experience against elite teams. Don't be surprised if Azzi is voted 1st team AA next year.

How much better (if that's possible) is Paige going to be as she enters year two? She's been around the block once already, she knows what to expect, and has adjusted to the speed and rigors of the game at this level. Having reached the final four will also pay HUGE dividends experience wise for our team this year. We all know there's no substitute for experience. ;)

First, Bueckers isn't trying to "fit in" like early last season, she is the de facto team leader on the floor going into the new season. I think that will be a huge positive because I don't think any of the 3 seniors really wanted that role (JMO) last season.
It's said that the improvement from 1st year to 2nd year player is the biggest. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
First, Bueckers isn't trying to "fit in" like early last season, she is the de facto team leader on the floor going into the new season. I think that will be a huge positive because I don't think any of the 3 seniors really wanted that role (JMO) last season.
It's said that the improvement from 1st year to 2nd year player is the biggest. :)
Alydar, nowhere in my narrative did I say or suggest that “Paige was trying to fit in.” The “she” that I referred to is Azzi. The only reference I made about Paige was how good she should be this coming season. I do agree with the rest of your post. You’re only a leader if people will follow you. The team will follow Paige. She’s already said she’s going to take a larger leadership role going forward, because she (and the rest of the team) didn’t like the way their season ended.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alydar, nowhere in my narrative did I say or suggest that “Paige was trying to fit in.” The “she” that I referred to is Azzi. The only reference I made about Paige was how good she should be this coming season. I do agree with the rest of your post. You’re only a leader if people will follow you. The team will follow Paige. She’s already said she’s going to take a larger leadership role going forward, because she (and the rest of the team) didn’t like the way their season ended.

I was merely expanding on your:

How much better (if that's possible) is Paige going to be as she enters year two?

Answer: A lot better for the reasons I stated.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
who was #2? not DT, Maya, Stewie, or even Paige
Napheesa means precious. So she was 'Precious II' for different reasons. Rebecca and Jen continually made comments about how freshman Nykesha Sales never got yelled at hence she became 'Precious'. If Azzi hasn't been yelled at in the first month, she may earn the title of 'Precious'.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, if Azzi reaches the Holy Grail by shooting 50-40-90, she will be worth her weight in gold.
High goals Oldude, but I actually think they may be a little conservative. I think 55-50-95 would not be out of reach. If Paige can set her up like she has promised, Azzi will put on a show like we have not seen since KLS shot 10-10 from 3 against USF.

Reaction Score
High goals Oldude, but I actually think they may be a little conservative. I think 55-50-95 would not be out of reach. If Paige can set her up like she has promised, Azzi will put on a show like we have not seen since KLS shot 10-10 from 3 against USF.
The difference will be that the other four players will have the KLS hands up look of "what, you expected less accuracy?" running down the court as Azzi gets a steal and tells them to "get back on offense!"....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I've thought that too, but I remember that Kaleena missed 50/40/90 in two different seasons by a single errant free throw in each. 95% involves little margin for error. If Azzi shoots 52/48/92, I won't be surprised. The single-season and career shooting records are in jeopardy.

Reaction Score
Per Jen Rizzotti, NyKesha Sales is the original “Precious” because Geno wouldn’t/didn’t yell at her at all. Even when it was deserved, such as arriving late for practices. And Geno responded by saying, “Well, if you could shoot the ball like her ......”

I can’t remember the date or name of the program, but Geno, Rebecca and Jen Rizzotti (maybe someone else) were discussing the 1995 team and national championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As Geno says, “Everyone wants to see the circus when it comes to town.”
That's right!!! Who doesn't like a circus? And every circus has a "Ringmaster". Ringmaster Geno, the master of ceremonies. I'd love to see Geno in a pair of knee boots, a top hat and tails come out to center court to kick off the 2021-2022 season at the first exhibition game at Gampel. :D Uhhhh Biff?!?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Napheesa as reported first in this post from August 2014;

Great read: the Colliers and their insight into the coaching staff

From 2009 re Heather Buck

Published November 13. 2009 1:36AM | Updated November 13. 2009 6:01PM

By Mike DiMauro Day Assistant Sports Editor

Storrs — Unless your names are Nykesha Sales and Asjha Jones, whom their teammates playfully nicknamed "precious" at various times for their ability to avoid Geno Auriemma's indignation, the path to success within the UConn women's basketball program begins as the target of the coach's comedy routine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom