Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Reaction Score
Does anyone want to give their insight or opinion on whether she's first or second round??

Reaction Score
Does anyone want to give their insight or opinion on whether she's first or second round??
I'll say first round. Hopefully she doesn't affect Gabby or Kia's draft position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll say first round. Hopefully she doesn't affect Gabby or Kia's draft position.
She definitely will impact Kia and Gabby position and the draft room will also be very interesting. Geno was probably going to be there for Kia and Gabby anyway now will he stand for 3 players? In adition JPM will be in the draft room representing Lexie Brown. Could be a little ackward but fun.

Reaction Score
Wow. I just got home and I must say I'm pretty shocked with this news. However, I am thankful for all of Z's contributions to the program these past two years. She's seems like a wonderful individual and I wish her all the best :)

That being said, the road to the 12th NC just got a lot trickier, but I still have confidence that Geno and CD will find a way to have them right in the thick of things. The trio of KLS, Pheesa, and Crystal is the cream of the crop in the NCAA and I think Megan will be a big factor next year (along with Christyn and Batouly).

I know there is a whole "the sky is falling" mentality whenever UCONN isn't crushing the no. 2 team by 30+ points (I'm sometimes guilty of this as well lol) but there are so many factors that affect each and every team: player development, transfers, and the dreaded injury bug. I mean, did anyone honestly think ND would be a huge factor this year after all of their injuries? I certainly didn't! But because Muffet is a great coach she made it work. I expect nothing less from Geno :D

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Uh, oh! Does anyone know of a source for cyanide capsules?

Reaction Score
Since Connecticut Women's basketball is a model of great success, and the coaching staff is considered one of the best, if not the best of the best, I will concede my trust in the head coach and his assistants to surprise us all with the team that takes the floor each and every game next year and beyond.
Times change and coaches have to change too. Look at Calhoun and B. Knight. Coaches have to change their stubbornnes some times.

Reaction Score
I don't believe she is ready for the WNBA which is why I thought there was basically a zero chance of her leaving. I figured even Z herself she had to know that. She's not going to be posting up against 6-0 AAC opponents any more, and she's not going to get away with shooting 20% from the outside, or not being able to make a shot from 5 feet away consistently, and miss a ton of lay ups even when she's by far the tallest player on the court, never mind the lack luster defense. She has a ton of raw talent and potential and everyone saw and was excited by that, including Geno. Unless she gets some serious help in the WNBA, she may find herself learning the cold hard lessons of the professional world for which she may wish she could trade for even just one more year of the Storrs version.

I agree with this. she improved markedly throughout the season, but not enough to go pro as of yet. she was still lacking in defense and missed several bunnies. another year was important because she would have been the starter on this team and in WNBA she will be a bench player again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Based on a few non professional mock drafts, the feeling is she would go #2 right after Wilson. That makes sense since Indiana has the #2 pick
and they need post help badly

Relevent excerpt from Indiana Fever page before Azura announced.

Fever Draft Primer: The Clock is Ticking - Indiana Fever

Not a single draft projection I have seen since last fall lists a different 1-2. EVERY projection I have seen has South Carolina center A’ja Wilson going with the top pick and dynamic Ohio State point guard Kelsey Mitchell going with the second pick. In November, Indiana earned the second pick by way of the WNBA Draft Lottery and, at the time, was in dire need of help in the post.

Reaction Score
Yes, and that depleted Husky team, that was forced to start 2 freshmen, because they had no one else available, finished 36-2 making it to the national semifinals.

For transparency the UConn 2010-11 season roster had 11 players. Doty was a red-shirt JR and we had an incoming class of 5 (see below). One of those (Walker) played only the first 17 games. We had 9 players after that.

2010-11 Freshmen Class
#10 Samarie Walker (Transferred after 1 season)
#14 Bria Hartley
#39 Stefanie Dolson
#46 Michala Johnson (Transferred after 2 seasons)
#95 Lauren Engeln (Transferred after 2 seasons)

The circumstances between 2010-11 where we had 10 players (exclude Doty) made up of 5 FR are different then next year where we have 11 players made up of 2 FR.

For the record the returning players all started the first game of that season (Moore SR, Dixon SR, Hayes JR, Faris SO, Buck SO) with Hartley and Dolson replacing Dixon and Buck in the starting lineup for the next game.

Below is a breakdown of minutes by class for starters and overall since 2009-10.

UConn Minutes by Class.png

I am creating a spreadsheet for all UConn seasons but have only entered from 2009-10 thus far but it is a long off season, so I figure I have time.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with this. she improved markedly throughout the season, but not enough to go pro as of yet. she was still lacking in defense and missed several bunnies. another year was important because she would have been the starter on this team and in WNBA she will be a bench player again.
I'm not so sure about that. If you look at the roster among the top 6 teams I think Dallas is the only place that Azura doen't start immediately. Dallas has Liz Cambage and Glory Johnson everyone else she could start.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For transparency the UConn 2010-11 season roster had 11 players. Doty was a red-shirt JR and we had an incoming class of 5 (see below). One of those (Walker) played only the first 17 games. We had 9 players after that.

2010-11 Freshmen Class
#10 Samarie Walker (Transferred after 1 season)
#14 Bria Hartley
#39 Stefanie D0lson
#46 Michala Johnson (Transferred after 2 seasons)
#95 Lauren Engeln (Transferred after 2 seasons)

The circumstances between 2010-11 where we had 10 players (exclude Doty) made up of 5 FR are different to next year where we 11 players made up of 2 FR.

For the record the returning players all started the first game of that season (Moore SR, Dixon SR, Hayes JR, Faris SO, Buck SO) with Hartley and Dolson replacing Dixon and Buck in the starting lineup for the next game.

Below is a breakdown of minutes by class for starters and overall since 2009-10.

View attachment 30360

I am creating a spreadsheet for all UConn seasons but have only entered from 2009-10 thus far but it is a long off season, so I figure I have time.
Just brillant work here! Thanks

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Actually Stevens & Collier both had 275 rebounds on the season & averaged 7.4. Gabby had 267 rebounds & a little less of a 7.4 rpg. These girls all split stats. Remember, Pheesa averaged 20 & 9 before Z showed up & clogged the lane.
It was Geno's idea for Z to play down low. She played on the perimeter at Duke.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...The one potential immediate impact, although I consider it remote at best, is if Ariel Howard from A&M, who will be immediately eligible as a graduate transfer, might possibly share a mutual interest in coming to UConn. Considering she's a 5'11" forward who averaged 12+ rebounds a game this past season, with some Gabulous leaping ability, it might just be a great one year plug-in player for the frontcourt.

Do you think that Geno would, after all he’s been through, be interested in Howard or any other one-year player? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
Do you think that Geno would, after all he’s been through, be interested in Howard or any other one-year player? Just wondering.
I hope he rethinks taking in transfers and certainly I wouldn't take any that have already played more than one season. The whole thing is just too disruptive, and I really have yet to ever see a huge upside to players transferring in. Z could have changed my mind, but she didn't.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes. Howard could easily be in rotation for UCONN next year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If she thinks her future as a pro is as a 3/wing, I believe she will be very disappointed. She has basically no perimeter skills to speak of and should find herself the best post coach she can and get to work with them IMO.

She'd get eaten alive banging down low with WNBA bigs, unless somebody can figure out how to put at least 50 pounds of muscle on her frame. That's not happening. Her future is as a big wing player that can still get rebounds around the basket, not posting up WNBA bigs.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hope he rethinks taking in transfers and certainly I wouldn't take any that have already played more than one season. The whole thing is just too disruptive, and I really have yet to ever see a huge upside to players transferring in. Z could have changed my mind, but she didn't.
You don't think she made a positive impact on this year's team?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
She can not defend on the wing and her 3-point shooting was terrible this season. Wherever she goes there will be an expectation that at 6-6 she score in the lane. Not exclusively, of course, but enough. She'll need to defend in the lane and rebound.

If she can't defend the wing she sure as heck can't defend in the lane against WNBA bigs. She will have to develop as a wing player in the WNBA. There's no way she can mix it up down low with pro bigs.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As said by Aaron Rodgers - RELAX!!! Last I heard, Geno is still the coach. He will figure it out.
He did not figure out how to stop Young on Friday, a player who scored less than 10 points against MS.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She'd get eaten alive banging down low with WNBA bigs, unless somebody can figure out how to put at least 50 pounds of muscle on her frame. That's not happening. Her future is as a big wing player that can still get rebounds around the basket, not posting up WNBA bigs.
While I'm rooting for her big time, I wonder if her pro career will be closer to Iciss Tillis or Brit Griner. Most likely somewhere in between, but Griner's a great example of a post player who is very thin, but who has thrived and is an Olympian...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What could she have done that would have changed your mind?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom