Azura Stevens: Getting to know her and about her | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens: Getting to know her and about her

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens

Getting to know her and about her ... at least a little bit

As a sophomore Stevens missed five games with a torn planter fascia in her left foot. Stevens suffered the injury during the first half, but played on and logged a game-high 40 minutes of floor action in the loss to the Fighting Irish. Tough kid!

“My sophomore year I came to this crossroads of ‘am I going to stay here or am I going to leave?’” I solidified my answer so I chose to leave. I opened up my recruiting to certain schools, but when Connecticut came calling, it was an opportunity I couldn’t miss.

The athletic 6-foot-6 Stevens scored in double figures in every game during her sophomore season and had 14 double-doubles. She posted team-high totals of 18.9 points and 9.6 rebounds. She also had 53 blocks, 41 assists and 32 steals. She likely would have been on every preseason All-American team had she remained with the Blue Devils.

It didn’t take Stevens long to bond with her new teammates, which is hardly a surprise to those who played with her in the past.
  • “Azura’ was one of my favorite people on the (U-19) team so I am glad she is here now and she is going to be a great addition to our team,” Collier said.
  • Atlanta Dream forward Elizabeth Williams, who played with Stevens for a season at Duke, said UConn is “going to get a gem.”
Elizabeth Williams and Patrick Daly, who was Stevens’ high school coach, pointed at Stevens’ incredible competitiveness and desire to become the best player possible.

Debbie Antonelli’s "scouting report" of a sophomore Azura Stevens:
  • "We don't have many women who have size, who have three-point range and can handle and can get the ball off the glass and initiate the break and doesn't need to make the outlet pass," Antonelli said. "Those are all things that she can do and she's young in doing all of those things."
  • "Right now she is tall, lanky, long and athletic, but I think she's going to be — with a committed work ethic — she is going to absolutely take her game to another level."
  • Not every player can thrive at UConn, but Stevens has the right personality for the program.
  • "She can work in the weight room … she needs some significant work," Antonelli said. "Breanna Stewart didn't add a lot of weight to her frame. She added a lot of strength to her overall core and her upper body strength, which Azura needs to do.
She was a starting member of the gold medal-winning 2015 U.S. under-19 team. In seven games she averaged 11.1 points and 5.1 rebounds. In the gold medal game, a 78-70 win over Russia; she had 18 points and six rebounds. Two teammates on that team will be her teammates at UConn: Napheesa Collier and Husky Crystal Dangerfield.

New England native: Stevens was born in Pawtucket, R.I., on Feb. 1, 1996. Her older sister, Da'Shena, played basketball for St. John's and is now an assistant coach for Joe Tartamella and the Red Storm.

As a Sophomore (2015-16):
  • Associated Press Honorable Mention All-America
  • WBCA Region I All-America
  • selected to the Wade Watch Top 30 list
  • All-ACC Tournament Second Team
  • John R. Wooden Late Season Top 20
  • USBWA Midseason Watch List for National Player of the
  • Naismith National Player of the Year Watch List
  • All-ACC First Team selection by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and league head coaches
Ranking: No. 57 (Prospect Nation), No. 55 (Blue Star), No. 27 (ASGR), No. 23 (Girls Basketball Report/HoopGurlz)

Reaction Score
Wow! Quite a resume. Can't wait to see her playing for us next year. Should we start now speculating whether or not she'll play for 2 years or leave early for the WNBA? :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
SV - thank you so much for putting that together. I probably knew most of that in a disjointed sort of way, but to have it all compiled so neatly in one post is really great. Impressive player. She has sort of overshadowed Camara, but some of that I think is having the extra year of college stats on the board.

Reaction Score
I for one am more excited about the prospects of this team in the Fall than I was for the current team. I never expected this current team to be 36 and 1 and I am quite impressed with this achievement. Given the improvement in confidence, skills, and maturity of our 3 All Americans, our Canadian National Team member, our little CD, and the incoming class along with the contributions of the bench, I am really looking forward seeing this played out. Azura Stevens and Batouly Comara added to this formula will give opponents nightmares and fits during the season as Geno will have a good problem in orchestrating floor dynamics to achieve victories.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When ESPN displayed the starting lineup for the December 29, 2014 game between UConn and Duke, Azura was listed as a 6' 1" FRESHMAN FORWARD but in the first minute of the game, Doris Burke said that she is 6' 5".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When ESPN displayed the starting lineup for the December 29, 2014 game between UConn and Duke, Azura was listed as a 6' 1" FRESHMAN FORWARD but in the first minute of the game, Doris Burke said that she is 6' 5".
Now that is a very quick growth spurt! Unfortunately it slowed down and she has only grown another inch in the ensuing 3 years.:confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Now that is a very quick growth spurt! Unfortunately it slowed down and she has only grown another inch in the ensuing 3 years.:confused:
What a slacker. I've heard however she's continued her growth in other departments. Can't wait to see. I also can't wait to hear reports from the first few weeks from the practice wars.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In huddles, she has been standing next to Nat. Despite wearing flats, Z is at least 1" taller than Nat's 6'5".

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens
Ranking: No. 57 (Prospect Nation), No. 55 (Blue Star), No. 27 (ASGR), No. 23 (Girls Basketball Report/HoopGurlz)

Great post, SVCBeercats! I am just going to add a few other tidbits of information for you and the Boneyard.

Girls Basketball Report evaluation of Azura Stevens:

Long, athletic and versatile insider finishes in post traffic, rebounds and putbacks; mobile in transition; faceup game to the arc; defensive presence; next level perimeter performer.

Duke Freshman Record Book:

Collected six Duke freshman records -- field goals made (194 - tied), rebounds (271), offensive rebounds (120), double-figure scoring games (28 - tied), double-doubles (10 - tied) and double-figure rebound games (12) ... also ranked fourth in points (466), tied third in field goals attempted (379), second in defensive rebounds (151), tied fifth in 20-point scoring games (5) and seventh in minutes played (950)

(When you factor in that she was competing with players like Alana Beard, Monique Currie, Elizabeth Williams, etc., the freshmen records are even more impressive).

Duke Sophomore Season:

In the ACC stats, ranked second in scoring (18.9), first in rebounds (9.6), seventh in field goal percentage (53.5), 12th in free throw percentage (75.0) and second in blocks (2.1)
In the Duke single-season record book, ranked tied seventh in scoring (18.9), tied sixth in rebounds (9.6), fourth in double-doubles (14) and fourth in double-digit rebound games (14)

Academics:

All-Academic selection each of her four years at high school
2015-16 ACC Honor Roll selection

CamrnCrz1974's Analysis
I do not tend to gush too much over players or recruits, unless it is truly warranted. But Azurá Breeona Stevens is a STAR. Stevens is one of only two Duke player in history to average at least 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in a single season. She averaged more rebounds in her sophomore year than Elizabeth Williams did in any of her seasons. She had more double doubles in her second year than any other Duke player has ever had except for Chris Moreland. Her two year scoring average of 16.2 ppg ranks third all-time (905 points in 56 games).

As a freshman, she 51.2 percent from the floor, 28.3 percent from three, and 59.6 percent from the line. But as a sophomore? 53.5 percent from the field, 35.8 percent from three, and 75.0 percent from the line. Tremendous improvement after her summer of USA Basketball. I can only imagine what she will do now that she has spent a full year learning from Geno and his staff, plus playing against KLS, Collier, Gabulous (love that nickname, whomever came up with it, etc. in practice.

Stevens is a RARE player. When she arrived at Duke, I said she was the next generation of Iciss Tillis. Tillis was a 6-4 player with guard like skills. Tillis did not like the physical contact, though she was a great rebounder. And she was known for her outside shot and her all-around skills - and was a Kodak All-American. Stevens is even better. She is a force down low, but can step out just as easily. She can defend smaller players, yet battle with bruisers in the post. Think Candace Parker without the playmaking skills.

As amazing as UConn was this past year and as incredible as KLS, Collier, and Gabulous were, it is very likely that Stevens could step on the floor next year as UConn's best player. THAT is how good she is.

P.S. For you NE folks, Stevens was born in Rhode Island!

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens

Getting to know her and about her ... at least a little bit

As a sophomore Stevens missed five games with a torn planter fascia in her left foot. Stevens suffered the injury during the first half, but played on and logged a game-high 40 minutes of floor action in the loss to the Fighting Irish. Tough kid!

“My sophomore year I came to this crossroads of ‘am I going to stay here or am I going to leave?’” I solidified my answer so I chose to leave. I opened up my recruiting to certain schools, but when Connecticut came calling, it was an opportunity I couldn’t miss.

The athletic 6-foot-6 Stevens scored in double figures in every game during her sophomore season and had 14 double-doubles. She posted team-high totals of 18.9 points and 9.6 rebounds. She also had 53 blocks, 41 assists and 32 steals. She likely would have been on every preseason All-American team had she remained with the Blue Devils.

It didn’t take Stevens long to bond with her new teammates, which is hardly a surprise to those who played with her in the past.
  • “Azura’ was one of my favorite people on the (U-19) team so I am glad she is here now and she is going to be a great addition to our team,” Collier said.
  • Atlanta Dream forward Elizabeth Williams, who played with Stevens for a season at Duke, said UConn is “going to get a gem.”
Elizabeth Williams and Patrick Daly, who was Stevens’ high school coach, pointed at Stevens’ incredible competitiveness and desire to become the best player possible.

Debbie Antonelli’s "scouting report" of a sophomore Azura Stevens:
  • "We don't have many women who have size, who have three-point range and can handle and can get the ball off the glass and initiate the break and doesn't need to make the outlet pass," Antonelli said. "Those are all things that she can do and she's young in doing all of those things."
  • "Right now she is tall, lanky, long and athletic, but I think she's going to be — with a committed work ethic — she is going to absolutely take her game to another level."
  • Not every player can thrive at UConn, but Stevens has the right personality for the program.
  • "She can work in the weight room … she needs some significant work," Antonelli said. "Breanna Stewart didn't add a lot of weight to her frame. She added a lot of strength to her overall core and her upper body strength, which Azura needs to do.
She was a starting member of the gold medal-winning 2015 U.S. under-19 team. In seven games she averaged 11.1 points and 5.1 rebounds. In the gold medal game, a 78-70 win over Russia; she had 18 points and six rebounds. Two teammates on that team will be her teammates at UConn: Napheesa Collier and Husky Crystal Dangerfield.

New England native: Stevens was born in Pawtucket, R.I., on Feb. 1, 1996. Her older sister, Da'Shena, played basketball for St. John's and is now an assistant coach for Joe Tartamella and the Red Storm.

As a Sophomore (2015-16):
  • Associated Press Honorable Mention All-America
  • WBCA Region I All-America
  • selected to the Wade Watch Top 30 list
  • All-ACC Tournament Second Team
  • John R. Wooden Late Season Top 20
  • USBWA Midseason Watch List for National Player of the
  • Naismith National Player of the Year Watch List
  • All-ACC First Team selection by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and league head coaches

Two comments---1. Thanks for posting this---she is something special--but I thought that prior to this--this confirms it.
2. The high lighted portion above--- . I opened up my recruiting to certain schools, but when Connecticut came calling, it was an opportunity I couldn’t miss. Makes it look as though Uconn sought her out---and it wasn't she who asked to transfer to Uconn--as I thought I understood based on media printings.

Reaction Score
All of these positive reports are calming my fears about her being a female Ajou Ajou Deng :)

And, she's actually here, so definitely not a Gillian Goring 2.0 :)

Deng was a ding dong---the Deng family had some others who succeeded in BB--Ajou had size physical mobility--and at times was excellent--but was sooo hyped by the media --he almost had to fail--and he did.

Reaction Score
The growth of teens isn't the same for everyone---some early some very late--at least one friend waited until near 30 to "spurt" (yea no teen). I'm just pleased she ---spurted when she did--
Where do you dig up these ---1 inch growth in 3 years---I need to get your computer--or hire another secretary.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
With UConn being the premier program in the nation was it excessive greed
to take Stevens ? She wanted to play for Geno if he refused she may have stayed
or gone elsewhere which would have been better for our game. How much satisfaction
is it to win with a ton more talent than your opponent?

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Two comments---1. Thanks for posting this---she is something special--but I thought that prior to this--this confirms it.
2. The high lighted portion above--- . I opened up my recruiting to certain schools, but when Connecticut came calling, it was an opportunity I couldn’t miss. Makes it look as though Uconn sought her out---and it wasn't she who asked to transfer to Uconn--as I thought I understood based on media printings.

To clarify a few things, from an insider's perspective...

When Stevens announced her decision to transfer, she was free to contact other schools. She also was friends with UConn players from USA Basketball, with whom she kept in contact.

Stevens primarily looked at four schools - South Carolina, UConn, and two others (one was either USC/UCLA as I recall, and I cannot remember the fourth). But UConn and South Carolina were considered the two leaders.

Conventional thinking was that she would go to South Carolina to team up with A'ja Wilson. But after visiting UConn and meeting with the staff, she came away very impressed with what Geno could do as far as her development.

Reaction Score
Great post, SVCBeercats! I am just going to add a few other tidbits of information for you and the Boneyard.

Girls Basketball Report evaluation of Azura Stevens:

Long, athletic and versatile insider finishes in post traffic, rebounds and putbacks; mobile in transition; faceup game to the arc; defensive presence; next level perimeter performer.

Duke Freshman Record Book:

Collected six Duke freshman records -- field goals made (194 - tied), rebounds (271), offensive rebounds (120), double-figure scoring games (28 - tied), double-doubles (10 - tied) and double-figure rebound games (12) ... also ranked fourth in points (466), tied third in field goals attempted (379), second in defensive rebounds (151), tied fifth in 20-point scoring games (5) and seventh in minutes played (950)

(When you factor in that she was competing with players like Alana Beard, Monique Currie, Elizabeth Williams, etc., the freshmen records are even more impressive).

Duke Sophomore Season:

In the ACC stats, ranked second in scoring (18.9), first in rebounds (9.6), seventh in field goal percentage (53.5), 12th in free throw percentage (75.0) and second in blocks (2.1)
In the Duke single-season record book, ranked tied seventh in scoring (18.9), tied sixth in rebounds (9.6), fourth in double-doubles (14) and fourth in double-digit rebound games (14)

Academics:

All-Academic selection each of her four years at high school
2015-16 ACC Honor Roll selection

CamrnCrz1974's Analysis
I do not tend to gush too much over players or recruits, unless it is truly warranted. But Azurá Breeona Stevens is a STAR. Stevens is one of only two Duke player in history to average at least 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in a single season. She averaged more rebounds in her sophomore year than Elizabeth Williams did in any of her seasons. She had more double doubles in her second year than any other Duke player has ever had except for Chris Moreland. Her two year scoring average of 16.2 ppg ranks third all-time (905 points in 56 games).

As a freshman, she 51.2 percent from the floor, 28.3 percent from three, and 59.6 percent from the line. But as a sophomore? 53.5 percent from the field, 35.8 percent from three, and 75.0 percent from the line. Tremendous improvement after her summer of USA Basketball. I can only imagine what she will do now that she has spent a full year learning from Geno and his staff, plus playing against KLS, Collier, Gabulous (love that nickname, whomever came up with it, etc. in practice.

Stevens is a RARE player. When she arrived at Duke, I said she was the next generation of Iciss Tillis. Tillis was a 6-4 player with guard like skills. Tillis did not like the physical contact, though she was a great rebounder. And she was known for her outside shot and her all-around skills - and was a Kodak All-American. Stevens is even better. She is a force down low, but can step out just as easily. She can defend smaller players, yet battle with bruisers in the post. Think Candace Parker without the playmaking skills.

As amazing as UConn was this past year and as incredible as KLS, Collier, and Gabulous were, it is very likely that Stevens could step on the floor next year as UConn's best player. THAT is how good she is.

P.S. For you NE folks, Stevens was born in Rhode Island!
CamrnCrz---thanks--nice stuff on Azura ---
I hate the hype the media gets --and Geno on some players puts a little fluff on some of the hype--and in more than I have liked were hyped and flopped. I was pretty sure, especially after 2 seasons at Duke, Azura is the real deal.
She came at the right time or her and perfect time for Uconn.
Now I'd like to see some one write about my big unknown Batuloy---where will she fit in, what will she really be capable of doing next year--what ia/are her limitation(s). No need to damn her --just facts.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
or gone elsewhere which would have been better for our game. How much satisfaction
is it to win with a ton more talent than your opponent
Sounds like you're already throwing in the towel for next year. For what it's worth, I would argue that there were at least 6 teams with superior talent than UConn this year (Baylor, SC, TX, MD, tOSU & ND), and UConn beat all of them.

Next year is another story, but right now every team in WBB will consider and accept transfers based on their respective needs. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
is it to win with a ton more talent than your opponent?

If I held out my hand with 500000 dollars in it to you ---would you be too greedy to take--though you had 200000 in the bank??
Geno has 4 million of certified stock and in coming 400000 in futures---it is possible Z is the sizzler
stock Geno has been waiting for. Should he turn it away??
For 30 plus years for many of those Geno has won with top talent--and he and us fans wallow in it and thrive. Are we to say---no we'll turn in 9 of the 11 NC's won---because Uconn had the talent?? Which team in the NCAA world with top talent shall be the first to reject their NC;s because they had too much talent???
However I understand your angst===I felt some of that when EDD transferred to Delaware ....
I think the WBB world pretty much agrees than Ms Stevens shall win an NC or more before she departs Uconn--and she'll have her wish.
She then shall be certain to go 1 in the WNBA draft--as a top defender and scoring machine team player.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're already throwing in the towel for next year. For what it's worth, I would argue that there were at least 6 teams with superior talent than UConn this year (Baylor, SC, TX, MD, tOSU & ND), and UConn beat all of them.

Next year is another story, but right now every team in WBB will consider and accept transfers based on their respective needs. It is what it is.
You just have to join the parade if or you[ll be left out--Geno was reluctant to join the Transfer parade until teams he had to play against enhanced their teams with transfers---IT IS WHAT IT IS (seems like I read that some where)

Reaction Score
In huddles, she has been standing next to Nat. Despite wearing flats, Z is at least 1" taller than Nat's 6'5".
It is not the 1 inch difference---her jump, I'm only assuming, is more than 3 inches high also when she spreads those wings how high is up? I'm imagining (hyper ventilating at the though-) a 6 ft 6 mobile post--one who can rebound put it back or pass it out in the same motion and cover 6 or 8 ft in defense. Got to stop my heart can't take any more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom