Azura and the Three | The Boneyard

Azura and the Three

Reaction Score
I haven't been active a ton recently, so I apologize if this defense has already been made, but if there's one thing I hear over and over about the team it's this: Why does Azura keep shooting threes?

For starters, we know that it is good for the team for her to shoot the three, because she obviously does have the green light, and the coaching staff know more than we do. But still, it's an interesting question: how do you justify having a player who's shooting 17% keep shooting?

Putting aside the fact that she shot a solid 36% from the line at Duke, and is probably a much better three point shooter than this years' statistics would show, I think there's an interesting analogy in Marcus Smart (Celtics).

Article 1

Article 2

You should read the articles above, they're both fun reads, but if you don't, the gist is this. Marcus Smart is a bad 3 point shooter, who shoots more three than just about any other bad shooter in the league. And yet, he's a critical component of the Celtics offense. This is because players tend to defend him like he's a good shooter, which opens up the floor, and forces players to sprint out at him, allowing him to drive to the bucket, or kick to a better shooter. And, just like Smart, for whatever reason, other teams tend to guard Azura at the three point line.

Azura doesn't have the passing or handle that Smart has, but she brings something just as important: she's usually being guarded by the other team's center. As four years of Stefanie Dolson taught us, have a center that forces the other team's center out to the three point line exposes the paint, and leads to efficient offense. But I would add that spreading the defense brings a particular synergy to other parts of UConn's offense.

All of our post players, but especially Gabby Williams, rely on mobility and low post-passing in the paint. This is much more common in the women's game, because players are smaller, and the post is relatively larger, leaving players with more room to operate. A post from one low post player to another, or driving around a player from a starting point of 7 feet away from the basket is much more common for the UConn women than it ever would be for a men's team, because the paint is functionally larger. This is what allows players like Nina Davis and Gabby Williams to have success in the post, where I think similarly skilled players on the Men's side, who were relatively the same size, would have a lot of trouble contributing at the same level.

By bringing the other team's biggest player out to the three point line, Azura is creating the space for Gabby and Napheesa to excel at what they do best, operating with lot's of space in the post. It's one of the reason's Azura is a critical component of our offense, and the reason that, as long as other teams are willing to keep guarding her out to the three, she should keep shooting.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
By bringing the other team's biggest player out to the three point line, Azura is creating the space for Gabby and Napheesa to excel at what they do best, operating with lot's of space in the post. It's one of the reason's Azura is a critical component of our offense, and the reason that, as long as other teams are willing to keep guarding her out to the three, she should keep shooting.

But they don't guard her at the 3pt arc. The opponents are smart enough to know she can't hit the side of a barn from the three point arc. She may do so in practice but certainly not in the game. Perhaps Geno is hoping against hope that she will start hitting the 3 just in time for the NCAA dance.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But they don't guard her at the 3pt arc. The opponents are smart enough to know she can't hit the side of a barn form the three point arc. She may do so in practice but certainly not in the game. Perhaps Geno is hoping against hope that she will start hitting the 3 just in time for the NCAA dance.
That's the thing, right? Even if she miraculously gets on fire and hits 1 per game, if I'm an opposing coach, I don't bother chasing her out there and will gladly give up 3 points to have my center playing defense more exclusively in the post.

Reaction Score
I get the sense the Azura is simply suffering from a lack of confidence with her outside shot.............Geno's decision to move her inside and concentrate on her post up game has had some good results but by doing so her three point shooting has been thrown off.................I believe that next year he will work with her on her mid and long range shooting so that she has the complete arsenal available to her.......

Reaction Score
Funny thing is though - to "back Geno up" when he says she can't miss in practice, there is a video of an interview within the last couple of weeks of either a player or one of the coaches (maybe even Geno) and in the background players shooting. My wife said - that player shooting 3 pointers from across the court hasn't missed. Then the person missed one (apparently my wife jinxed her) and then she proceeded to hit another bunch. Turns out it was Z. She indeed does hit them in practice. And not just one or two - but many in a row.

Reaction Score
Azura 3 point slump buster! Duke vs Uconn meet in the Albany Regional!

Reaction Score
But they don't guard her at the 3pt arc. The opponents are smart enough to know she can't hit the side of a barn form the three point arc. She may do so in practice but certainly not in the game. Perhaps Geno is hoping against hope that she will start hitting the 3 just in time for the NCAA dance.

Azura reminds me of a comment one of my first college coaches directed at my shot selection from distance. “You are indeed a good shooter, just not a good maker- & until you become a better maker your attempts and minutes will suffer”. Of course there were also some, let’s say, unbecoming adjectives I left out so that my post would be considered politically correct.

Reaction Score
If she hits them in practice, then maybe if she hits a few in a game, she may be off and running.
She is must better down low, but when she is there, she takes a lot away from Napheesa.
The entire Uconn offense is based on spacing, so its worth it to keep trying Z out at the 3 line.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Azura reminds me of a comment one of my first college coaches directed at my shot selection from distance. “You are indeed a good shooter, just not a good maker- & until you become a better maker your attempts and minutes will suffer”. Of course there were also some, let’s say, unbecoming adjectives I left out so that my post would be considered politically correct.
Makers are better than takers. But what is really good is Maker's Mark! ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I love it! A definite LOL! In high school our coach would praise me for ball handling, assists, and defense but he would finish with "Thank God because you can't shoot to save you life."

Reaction Score
I haven't been active a ton recently, so I apologize if this defense has already been made, but if there's one thing I hear over and over about the team it's this: Why does Azura keep shooting threes?

For starters, we know that it is good for the team for her to shoot the three, because she obviously does have the green light, and the coaching staff know more than we do. But still, it's an interesting question: how do you justify having a player who's shooting 17% keep shooting?

Putting aside the fact that she shot a solid 36% from the line at Duke, and is probably a much better three point shooter than this years' statistics would show, I think there's an interesting analogy in Marcus Smart (Celtics).

Article 1

Article 2

You should read the articles above, they're both fun reads, but if you don't, the gist is this. Marcus Smart is a bad 3 point shooter, who shoots more three than just about any other bad shooter in the league. And yet, he's a critical component of the Celtics offense. This is because players tend to defend him like he's a good shooter, which opens up the floor, and forces players to sprint out at him, allowing him to drive to the bucket, or kick to a better shooter. And, just like Smart, for whatever reason, other teams tend to guard Azura at the three point line.

Azura doesn't have the passing or handle that Smart has, but she brings something just as important: she's usually being guarded by the other team's center. As four years of Stefanie Dolson taught us, have a center that forces the other team's center out to the three point line exposes the paint, and leads to efficient offense. But I would add that spreading the defense brings a particular synergy to other parts of UConn's offense.

All of our post players, but especially Gabby Williams, rely on mobility and low post-passing in the paint. This is much more common in the women's game, because players are smaller, and the post is relatively larger, leaving players with more room to operate. A post from one low post player to another, or driving around a player from a starting point of 7 feet away from the basket is much more common for the UConn women than it ever would be for a men's team, because the paint is functionally larger. This is what allows players like Nina Davis and Gabby Williams to have success in the post, where I think similarly skilled players on the Men's side, who were relatively the same size, would have a lot of trouble contributing at the same level.

Love your post and points, which I think all make a great deal of sense.
The hard part in all this (and just maybe why AZ is hooting such a poor % up to now), is they are trying to change her game enormously. She was used to being essentially a wing player who is 6'6". They are trying to make her a player who can still do this things but perform in the post offensively and defensively.
I think this eventually will pay significant dividends to AZ herself and the program also, but with it comes growing pains.
A maybe poor comparison is KLS who has transformed her game enormously in the last two years or so. I think her shooting fell off a bit(not substantially last year) but she essentially remained a great shooter. To now be a strong team defender and a much better rebounder (both still need and will see further development) is amazing. She also has gone from a very good passer to a truly outstanding one.
A good portion of how each individual develops has to do with their emotional / intellectual / personality qualities. In no way am I saying or implying anything about AZ except that some people faces criticisms or challenges in different ways and at different paces.
She wouldn't have chosen to come to U Conn unless she wanted to deal with these issues. But wanting to intellectually doesn't prepare you for fitting in and doing it. I strongly believe as she integrates what has to change, her shooting will improve along with the other aspects. Again though this rarely comes in a straight line there's the usual bumps in the road.
Bronx23

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The low shooting percentage is concerning but I not sure what the right answer is and don't believe the solution is to stop taking them. Very few of the shot are forced or early in the shot clock. Many of the shots are wide open and this is a good enough offensive rebounding team that UCONN is going to get second chance points off many of those shots anyway Over the summer and at the USA basketball Azura was taking those same shot and making them at a very good clip. Junior Morgan Tuck went through a similar stretch of shooting the 3 ball poorly but recovered nicely and was dangerous by tournament time. We are also not talking about a lot shots in the grand scheme of things. Azura has 42 3pt attempts on the season UCONN as a team has 520 attempts for the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get the sense the Azura is simply suffering from a lack of confidence with her outside shot...Geno's decision to move her inside and concentrate on her post up game has had some good results but by doing so her three point shooting has been thrown off.......I believe that next year he will work with her on her mid and long range shooting so that she has the complete arsenal available to her..
Going back 5 to 7 weeks Geno when talking about her 3 shooting said something along the lines-of 'she doesn't miss them in practice'. He saw similar lack of confidence with Stewie when she was bounced around but eventually rained 3's. Geno is unique, in many ways, but mostly in my opinion is he believes shooter shoot and though they miss now, even early in games, they shall eventually hit the mark and keep drilling them. Most coaches would stop Azura, but not Geno so tell me folks how many times has he been wrong with shooters??

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
: Why does Azura keep shooting threes?
As a freshman, Moriah Jefferson was 17/64 on threes, 29 percent, but she kept shooting them. Mo averaged over 45 per cent over the following three years, and was a regular threat out there. It took Kelly Faris a bit longer, three years averaging about thirty, but as a senior, shooting them much more often, she was a threat at 41.5 per cent. Crystal is up twelve percent from her 31% freshman year, and is also a threat.

I am happy that they did not stop shooting threes due to marginal early success.

Reaction Score
I think she needs to strengthen her upper body, she has been blocked by much shorter opponents quite a few times near the rim. To me it is more important than the three.

Reaction Score
Few collegiate defenses could take a mid range jumper away from her. Might be the weapon we need down the stretch. It would really make us undefenseable. Kia, Lou, outside. Phessa and Gabby inside. Z 10 ft. Many lanes to journey for Chrystal.

Reaction Score
As a freshman, Moriah Jefferson was 17/64 on threes, 29 percent, but she kept shooting them. Mo averaged over 45 per cent over the following three years, and was a regular threat out there. It took Kelly Faris a bit longer, three years averaging about thirty, but as a senior, shooting them much more often, she was a threat at 41.5 per cent. Crystal is up twelve percent from her 31% freshman year, and is also a threat.

I am happy that they did not stop shooting threes due to marginal early success.
I do not necessarily disagree, but as I read your post it dawned on me that the players you are referencing are not 6'6" that would shoot 68% inside the 3pt line (Z FG% minus the 3pt shots.) They also are not giving up the other benefits of her rebounding + put back abilities by staying close to the paint.

I personally believe in 90% of UConn games who cares as those shots have ZERO impact to the outcome of the game. If we get into a game like this year's Texas, ND, etc... where every possession in the 4th is critical leave the 3pt shots to Lou, Kia or Crystal Dangerfield. As many things in life its not so black and white, the where, when and against who factor into wether Z should be taking a 3pt shot.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As a soph at Duke, Azura shot 19/53 =.358. Not in Lou, Kia, Danger range, but not too shabby. Bad streaks occur. As I have posted many times, Maria Conlon once went 0/31. If Geno did not want her to shoot 3s, she would not shoot 3s.

Reaction Score
So. Z can't miss in practice; but throws up bricks in games...I see Geno's fingerprint in this.

Z will continue to miss 3s in the early games of the NCAA Tournament. But in a close game in the finals, when she will be certainly unguarded, Z will will hit only net and blow away the opposition.

Mark my words!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Well i was not overly surprised they would be an adjustment in her shooting, from experience as a player, whenever you are asked to drastically improve your strength to battle post players that added strength can initially affect your shot. I believe even Stewie went through that for a period as she got stronger...

The key is to keep shooting until you have figured out how to accurately use your newly gained muscle power, repetition, repetition, repetition. Azura will eventually get her shot back, as long as she doesn't let this adjustment period mess with her confidence.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm actually reading about, thinking about, and/or writing about Z shooting 3's. I will never get these 10 minutes back.
1. Why does UConn need her to shoot 3's? The team is historically adept at spreading the floor to open up the middle for cuts and post ups. That's where she belongs!!
2. My college coach grilled us day in day out about only taking shots that you can hit at least 50% of the time. I would fire up some off-balance 20 footer and his voice would be in my ear, "could you make that shot at least 50% of the time".
Did I say 50%? or 10% in the case of Z shooting 3's.
3. Here's an "old-school" approach to this PROBLEM: whenever Z moves beyond the lane area for anything other than pressure release, the whole team gets on the line for a sprint. I bet with a close-knit team like UConn, this problem would be pretty much solved in about 2 practices.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm actually reading about, thinking about, and/or writing about Z shooting 3's. I will never get these 10 minutes back.
1. Why does UConn need her to shoot 3's? The team is historically adept at spreading the floor to open up the middle for cuts and post ups. That's where she belongs!!
2. My college coach grilled us day in day out about only taking shots that you can hit at least 50% of the time. I would fire up some off-balance 20 footer and his voice would be in my ear, "could you make that shot at least 50% of the time".
Did I say 50%? or 10% in the case of Z shooting 3's.
3. Here's an "old-school" approach to this PROBLEM: whenever Z moves beyond the lane area for anything other than pressure release, the whole team gets on the line for a sprint. I bet with a close-knit team like UConn, this problem would be pretty much solved in about 2 practices.
I'm only going to take 1 minute to respond. Your "old-school" approach is absurd. I am also suspicious of advice on UCONN WCBB from a MD fan- how would you know?

Reaction Score
I'm only going to take 1 minute to respond. Your "old-school" approach is absurd. I am also suspicious of advice on UCONN WCBB from a MD fan- how would you know?
Really? That's a response? Read my posts. I am thoughtful, constructive and a monster fan.
UConn is not a national program? Only Connecticut natives need apply? How about people that move to Connecticut, are they allowed to comment? How many years before you are Connecticut enough to comment?
I've got my regional tickets to Albany. Do you true fan?
I DO NOT WANT Z TO SHOOT 3's- from a Maryland born and bred UConn fan. Do the math! (BTW- Maryland, one of America's hotbeds of HS hoops)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom