Aztecs expect $6.4 million from BE TV deal | The Boneyard

Aztecs expect $6.4 million from BE TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
That fits with the UCF estimate of $10 mn+ because basketball will bring $4 mn.

We'll have to see. I think it's likely that the more attractive Big East teams, UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, are unwilling to make a grant of rights or even to an expensive exit fee. They'll probably also retain a lot of game rights that are given away in the big dollar deals like the ACC's, and sell them independently like UConn does with women's bball. The networks will have to include a lot of contingency arrangements in the contract to allow for departures/restructuring. Also, the new Big East is an unproven commodity. I think we may see a short-term deal that is a bit short on dollars but gets re-negotiated a few years later. It could also have some kind of revenue sharing or compensation based on audience share so that Big East schools share the risk & upside with the networks.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here is the link to a recent third-party assessment of what the deal is worth, that puts the deal at higher (slightly) than the original Aztec assessment (are these two reports from the same company? with different final numbers??):

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...boise-state-byu-television-contract#storyjump

It's hard to know what to make out of a consulting firm's opinion, so I will leave it at that; opinion.

Reaction Score
Ahhh, the New Big East. The Nationwide excitement is palpable as San Diego State readies to square off against Temple in the BE Championship game. Fans have been waiting all season for this showdown in the Meadowlands where they are expecting upwards of 25 K fans. The MAC has nothing on this.

Reaction Score
Ahhh, the New Big East. The Nationwide excitement is palpable as San Diego State readies to square off against Temple in the BE Championship game. Fans have been waiting all season for this showdown in the Meadowlands where they are expecting upwards of 25 K fans. The MAC has nothing on this.

don't watch if you don't like it. seriously, your constant belly-aching has gone from annoying to pathetic. sometimes things don't work out the way you'd like. when you grow up you'll realize you have two options. you can deal with it the best you can and enjoy what's going on, things like bringing in a few high octane offenses (you like those don't you?) to replace our dregs and welcome some new teams to freshen things up and be happy that UConn is going to make more money off of our new TV deal than our last one. the other option is to bitch and moan that you didn't get everything you wanted and pout like a 4 year old about what everybody else has. most of us have chosen option 1, and we really don't need to hear your temper tantrums every day

if the other firm estimates 7.8m for fb only, it's possible a full member could be getting 11-12m/year, which i think i could live with. realistically if we get more than 75% of the ACC deal, especially considering we keep our beloved 3rd tier rights, whatever they mean, i'd say we did a good job.

Reaction Score
don't watch if you don't like it. seriously, your constant belly-aching has gone from annoying to pathetic. sometimes things don't work out the way you'd like. when you grow up you'll realize you have two options. you can deal with it the best you can and enjoy what's going on, things like bringing in a few high octane offenses (you like those don't you?) to replace our dregs and welcome some new teams to freshen things up and be happy that UConn is going to make more money off of our new TV deal than our last one. the other option is to bitch and moan that you didn't get everything you wanted and pout like a 4 year old about what everybody else has. most of us have chosen option 1, and we really don't need to hear your temper tantrums every day

if the other firm estimates 7.8m for fb only, it's possible a full member could be getting 11-12m/year, which i think i could live with. realistically if we get more than 75% of the ACC deal, especially considering we keep our beloved 3rd tier rights, whatever they mean, i'd say we did a good job.

+1

Reaction Score
So Washington State versus Oregon State is worth how much more?

Reaction Score
So Washington State versus Oregon State is worth how much more?

Lol. Exactly. I am just dying for Minnesota/Indiana or Vandy/South Carolina. All conferences have a dog games. How about Boise/Rutgers at the Meadowlands? The local team vs. America's team. UConn/Rutgers in Yankee Stadium or Louisville/Houston in either city with both coming in Top 20.

The conference will evolve. I still look back to the national interest and electricity for the Rutgers/Louisville game a few years back. That is proof that winning cures all.

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 for all the real estate it covers, still makes sense geographically (it's one region save for Colorado) as well as rivalries. The SEC, big real estate expanse, still makes sense geographically. The BiG 12, big real estate, still makes sense geographically. The same pretty much for the other Big 12. Even the ACC makes sense, except for BCU. With Syracuse going & Pitt going, the addition of UConn would make four northern teams (give the Eagles a geographic rival) and permit full coverage of the Atlantic seaboard (much like the PAC 12 cover that other ocean from top to bottom.

Oh and mattyp, can the scolding and the lecture. Read, don't read, agree, disagree, whatever. I've read many of your posts and every once in while you can actually make a point on its own merit and resist the all-too-prevalent penchant for slamming others for making a point of their own.

I still believe that UConn can be a good-to-better-than good player at the BCS level. But the new Big East and the "jail break" by long standing members has hurt. UConn needs to lobby it's a-- off to find a new home - or "do a Utah" and have the powers to be start putting pressure on folks everywhere until they find that home. The Universities of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and Connecticut have a lot more in common than Houston, Temple, UCF, San Diego State and Connecticut do.

Reaction Score
I think long term, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Penn State are the schools most like UConn.

Short term, the Big East needs to stop undervaluing its product and play hard ball. You may not like Temple but there are lots of eyes in Philly. And eye balls is what networks want.

Reaction Score
Yesterday morning a CBSSports CFB analyst on the Brando show said that NBC would likely "overpay" the Big East for a new contract. Take it for what it's worth because there's plenty of time for maneuvering and reasessing from a network standpoint moving forward. We may have to get rid of SD and Memphis or at least tell them to STFU until this is all done. They are a disaster for these negociations. And Boise should start acting like a top 10 commodity and lose the trailer mentality.

pj

Reaction Score
We may have to get rid of SD and Memphis or at least tell them to STFU until this is all done. They are a disaster for these negociations.

I think they just needed to say "$6.4 million at minimum, maybe much more" or "at least $10 million". It's reasonable that people in their communities should want to know a lower bound on what might be achieved, so that they know the move is worthwhile. But jumping up and down for joy at a number that is poor to the better programs in the Big East is unseemly and could impact the negotiations. But the impact may be to lead the better programs to retain rights and sell them separately, or to have some kind of performance feature in which the money payouts track appearances and audience. Or multi-tier rights, NBC could do a deal with the Big East in which it gets 3 Big East games a week, and a side deal with UConn in which it gets all the other UConn games, a la Notre Dame but for much less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom