Ayoka Lee: My Lawd! | The Boneyard

Ayoka Lee: My Lawd!

Reaction Score
She bested the scoring record by 1 point! Crazy stat line too!

STARTERSMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
A. Lee C3523-300-015-1748120130161

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Kanas State center Ayoka Lee sets NCAA women's basketball record with 61-point game in win over No. 14 Oklahoma.

At times Oklahoma was double teaming her. It didn't do any good. How frustrating THAT must have been. :(
Lee scored most of her 61 points from under the basket. IT CAN BE DONE!!! This game was an illustration of how to feed your big on the block with good entry passes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=33133058&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And another take, from The Next. Also includes clips from the ESPN broadcast.
Honestly, I felt like I was watching Wilt Chamberlain just score at will on helpless defenders when he was at Kansas. (or in the NBA, for that matter).

https://www./ncaaw/big-12/ayoka-lee-breaks-division-i-single-game-scoring-record/

Only one other Wildcat scored in double figures, but the rest of the starters consists of one junior (like Lee) and three freshmen. Watch out Baylor and Texas.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She ate two bowls of Wheaties this morning?
Whatever she had for her pregame meal, she needs to have before EVERY game. 61 points is unconscionable. :eek: She out scored a few teams today.

Carnac

Reaction Score
She is just amazing, 23-30 FGs and 15-17 FTs in 35 mins.
And the opponent is #14 Oklahoma, not a low rank team.
That’s what makes it so amazing. She didn’t play the whole game. She’s got a master’s degree in pinning her man on her hip on the block. Her guards were feeding her like a baby all day with good entry passes, and she converted them into points. A tip ‘o the turban to Ayoka Lee. Job well done!! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully there is a replay of this game on YouTube. I have only seen a few of Kansas State games this season and other than that South Carolina game, this young lady plays like Shaq. She is unstoppable!

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Hopefully there is a replay of this game on YouTube. I have only seen a few of Kansas State games this season and other than that South Carolina game, this young lady plays like Shaq. She is unstoppable!
NC State held her to 19 points when they played the Wildcats on November 19th. Lee was 9 of 18 from the field and grabbed 11 rebounds.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Honestly, I felt like I was watching Wilt Chamberlain just score at will on helpless defenders when he was at Kansas. (or in the NBA, for that matter).

Only other Wildcat scored in double figures, but the rest of the starters consists of one junior (like Lee) and three freshmen. Watch out Baylor and Texas.
Kansas State visits Texas on Wednesday. Unlike OU, Texas actually prides itself in playing defense. While Texas doesn't have any ONE player to match up with Ayoka Lee (other than Lauren Ebo who is a bit smaller), I think we can make it much more difficult on KSU's guards trying to get the ball inside to Lee. Lee will probably still score over 20 points (unless she gets into foul trouble) because she is that good and efficient if she gets the ball 2 feet from the basket.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just saw she has never attempted a 3pt shot this year. Now that is refreshing.
She broke the previous record by 1 point. I’m going to step as far out on a limb as I can, and predict that she just set a record that will never be broken, because the record she set was done without shooting (or making) any 3 point baskets. :) Look at how long Nykesha Sales’ UConn single game record of 46 points has stood, since December of 1997.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Kanas State center Ayoka Lee sets NCAA women's basketball record with 61-point game in win over No. 14 Oklahoma.

At times Oklahoma was double teaming her. It didn't do any good. How frustrating THAT must have been. :(
Lee scored most of her 61 points from under the basket. IT CAN BE DONE!!! This game was an illustration of how to feed your big on the block with good entry passes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=33133058&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>
Or it can be an illustration on how not to defend the post

Reaction Score
im a big fan. I just dont know why you dont go zone at some point if ur oklahoma. amazing accomplishment tho

Reaction Score
She broke the previous record by 1 point. I’m going to step as far out on a limb as I can, and predict that she just set a record that will never be broken, because the record she set was done without shooting (or making) any 3 point baskets. :) Look at how long Nykesha Sales’ UConn single game record of 46 points has stood, since December of 1997.
The Sales record only stands because of Geno. There have been a few chances to break it, but Geno removed the would be record breaker before they could do it. Maya and KLS come to mind, perhaps there are others, that could have broken that record, but by the time a player gets to 40 or so points to threaten that record, Geno would rather remove and rest them.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Both Stewie and Svetlana were on a pace to break Nykesha's record...Svetlana cooled off...think she wound up with 39 [against UCLA]...and I believe Geno limited Stewie's second half minutes saying something along the lines of: if she breaks the record it should be against an elite team. We might have been playing Temple. Nykesha had her 46 against Stanford.

Reaction Score
She bested the scoring record by 1 point! Crazy stat line too!

STARTERSMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
A. Lee C3523-300-015-1748120130161
The oddity in that stat line to me, zero assists in 35 minutes of play. Scoring 61 points would require one never choose to pass once you get it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The oddity in that stat line to me, zero assists in 35 minutes of play. Scoring 61 points would require one never choose to pass once you get it.
In the position she caught the ball there was no need to pass to anyone, that is how good the passes were. I have liked Lee since she was a freshman.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That’s what makes it so amazing. She didn’t play the whole game. She’s got a master’s degree in pinning her man on her hip on the block. Her guards were feeding her like a baby all day with good entry passes, and she converted them into points. A tip ‘o the turban to Ayoka Lee. Job well done!! :)
K State's guards are nowhere near as talented as Paige, yet they get Lee the ball where she can easily score. That's why I don't agree that UConn needs Paige and Ono to in order to feed the post. If UConn's bigs could receive the ball where Lee received, they would be much more effective than they are, imo. The guards need to do a better job of feeding the post.

Reaction Score
She is my Big 12 player of the year so far. Honestly they probably would have beaten Iowa St if they didn't stop giving the ball to Lee in the back half of the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
K State's guards are nowhere near as talented as Paige, yet they get Lee the ball where she can easily score. That's why I don't agree that UConn needs Paige and Ono to in order to feed the post. If UConn's bigs could receive the ball where Lee received, they would be much more effective than they are, imo. The guards need to do a better job of feeding the post.
Agreed. Lee, like Boston, does not shy away from contact in the paint. Lee is solid. I've noticed ONO's willingness to endure contact lately. If you're going to shoot in the paint, you're going to get plenty of contact and body fouls. It goes with the territory. :cool: UConn's guards could do a much better job of getting ONO or Juhasz the ball on the block where they want it.

With respect to Lee not having any assists, She got the ball right under the basket. Who was she going to pass the ball to that was closer to the basket than she was, that had a better chance to score than she had? She was 23-30. She only missed 7 shots the entire game. Why would she be looking to pass? She shot 76.6% from the field. She had a hot hand. That night, the low post was a "Black Hole." Once the ball went in, it did not come out.

Note - Rachel Banham (Minnesota) matched the record of 60 points in a Feb 2016 - 2 overtime periods game for the Golden Gophers. Until Sunday, Banham shared the record with Cindy Brown of Long Beach State who also scored 60 against San Jose State on Feb. 16, 1987.

Banham had 20 points in the first half, 22 in the second half, 10 in the first overtime and eight in the second. Overall, she shot 19-for-32 from the field, including 8-for-15 from three-point range, and made 14 of 16 free throws in 47 minutes of playing time. Lee did it in 35 minutes, and did not take any 3's. It was mentioned on the ESPN program "Around the Horn" today that there are 334 D1 WCBB programs that have not scored 60 points in any game so far this season. I find that hard to believe. I wonder how many more points Lee could have had if SHE could have played another 12 minutes? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom