Ayanna | The Boneyard

Ayanna

Reaction Score
Another honest pretty fair video. I think he’s wrong about Geno’s decision making process, which sounds irrational or at best whimsical on his account. Geno sees a lot more than outsiders (like us) do because he studies what happens in practices. We lost to NC St because we didn’t run the offense and the defense well. Paige and Qadence only kept us in it by individual effort, but the team play was incoherent. In practice, Geno sees exactly who is ready to address this glaring weakness.

I’d love to see Amari get real minutes in the rotation. But what I mean by that is I hope she’s begun to put things together in practice so that Geno feels he has to play her. Same for Ice.

Reaction Score
Another honest pretty fair video. I think he’s wrong about Geno’s decision making process, which sounds irrational or at best whimsical on his account. Geno sees a lot more than outsiders (like us) do because he studies what happens in practices. We lost to NC St because we didn’t run the offense and the defense well. Paige and Qadence only kept us in it by individual effort, but the team play was incoherent. In practice, Geno sees exactly who is ready to address this glaring weakness.

I’d love to see Amari get real minutes in the rotation. But what I mean by that is I hope she’s begun to put things together in practice so that Geno feels he has to play her. Same for Ice.
The only way Amari will get a chance is if Geno puts her in the game and tells her what he expects from her. She doesn't appear to be the player that responds to negative or yelling which is why I think she responded so well to CD when she filled in last year. Watching Geno for so long though it seems he has one way of communicating and if that doesn't work so be it.

Reaction Score
The only way Amari will get a chance is if Geno puts her in the game and tells her what he expects from her. She doesn't appear to be the player that responds to negative or yelling which is why I think she responded so well to CD when she filled in last year. Watching Geno for so long though it seems he has one way of communicating and if that doesn't work so be it.
I hear that take on Geno. I don’t exactly agree with it, but I think you have a point, in part. He can be bluntly critical and sarcastic in practice, and players have said this about him, notably Christyn recently. But they also tend to say that it taught them how to deal with big game pressure.

What they also say is that he is primarily a teacher. They learn the schemes and how he thinks about them. It’s not just mechanical. They become partners in the scheme by understanding it.
This is a motivational tool.

But the fact is it doesn’t seem to have worked well with Amari. In the Dayton game she played in a lackadaisical way. Lazy indifferent inbounds passes are just one example. On one inbounds play she tossed the ball without a care and it was immediately stolen. Now she stepped right in and made a tremendous block on the layup the opposing player attempted and took the ball away. But she should never have thrown such a lousy pass. Plays like that must be infuriating for Geno, showcasing her potential and her lack of motivation at the same time.

In the seton hall game, CD played her more and she did pretty well. But she also made a few of these trademark lazy plays. Her passing from the top of the key is particularly indicative of this since she seems not to know where to go with the ball half the time and then chucks up a 3. Now she’s a pretty good shooter so this isn’t disastrous, but it also isn’t playing as part of a crisp team effort. It almost feels like you can see the fossil record of her poor practices in her game play — she has considerable talents, especially on defense, but can’t seem to fit them into the team concept. And the one glaring hole in her offense, that she has poor low post skills, is utterly mystifying.

I long for the day when she puts together good practices and we see it in a game. But we are not there yet. I’m ready to make any excuse for her, if only she can pull it all together.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Amari isn't playing because when in the game she doesn't play. She lopes up the court, never goes to meet the ball, waiting for the ball to find her. I can honestly say I have never seen any pace of play from her. Please, name the last time you watched her play with any real up tempo or finesse. It appears she is content to sit on the bench, watching her teammates contribute. I wish it wasn't so, the team needs her size and arm length. Does anyone really believe that Geno and crew have not time and again told her what he expects from her? I would love to see that spark that recognition that she is more than a warm body. What better time for her to contribute than now, will she? I am not holding my breath waiting for that spark, that fire to play. For now she is where she feels most comfortable and belongs.

Reaction Score
I remember when Ayanna committed people on the message board were talking about how many dunks she would get in the game. I think Ayanna was ring too high coming out of high school. she was just too big and strong at the high school level. she cannot do that at the college level. this is a second year in the program let’s see if she steps up her game.

sun

Reaction Score
Every player makes dumb mistakes, name one player who doesn't,
After only 2 games into the season, it already looks like SCar is the team to beat.
That leaves 4 possible outcomes for UConn's season.
UConn can lose the NC with Amari or without her, or UConn can win the NC with Amari or without her.
Every fan can predict a possible outcome based on their personal amount of optimism or pessimism.

But each member of the team also has individual feelings about Amari & how it affects their amount of optimism.
These ladies don't practice & play in a vaccuum & are affected by Geno's decisions & it affects their psyches too.
They all have opinions about whether Amari's talent is needed & whether she should play or not.
Geno may dictate who plays but he can't dictate how they feel.
Just like with the fans, the fans have feelings & opinions too.
Just because some people have negativity doesn't mean that Amari's glass isn't half full.

The whole WCBB world is watching Geno make his coaching decisions & will being waiting to see whether UConn can beat SCar.
Winning is all that matters to the players just as much as it matters to Geno & all the fans.
Amari is Amari, no one is perfect as the past few years have shown with the results of UConn's recent seasons without a NC.
Is anything going to change this year, that's what we're all waiting to find out.
What does UConn need to do to beat SCar?
Geno probably flips coins in hus spare time to help himm makes decision, damn if he plays her & damn if he doesn't,
If he wants to win or lose without playing Amari then that his choice.
We won't know until the season is over & then there's always next year for Amari to play & winning a NC.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
After only 2 games into the season, it already looks like SCar is the team to beat.
UConn can lose the NC with Amari or without her, or UConn can win the NC with Amari or without her.
Every fan can predict a possible outcome based on their personal amount of optimism or pessimism.

But each member of the team also has individual feelings about Amari & how it affects their amount of optimism.
These ladies don't practice & play in a vaccuum & are affected by Geno's decisions & it affects their psyches too.
They all have opinions about whether Amari talent is needed or whether she should play or not.
Just because some people are negative doesn't mean that Amari's glass isn't half full.

The whole WCBB world is watching Geno make his coaching decisions & will being waiting to see whether UConn can beat SCar.
Winning is all that matters to the players just as much as it matters to Geno & all the fans.
Amari is Amari, no one is perfect as the past few years have shown with the results of UConn's recent seasons without a NC.
Is anything going to change this year, that's what we're all waiting to find out.
Geno probably flips coins in hus spare time to help himm makes decision, damn if he plays her & damn if he doesn't,
We won't know until the season is over & then there's always next year for Amari to play & winning a NC.
clone paige? several times, perhaps?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Every fan can predict a possible outcome based on their personal amount of optimism or pessime.

But each member of the team also has individual feelings about Amari & their amount of optimism.
These ladies don't practice & play in a vaccuum & are affected by Geno's decisions & it's affects their psyche too.
They all have opinions about whether Amari talent is needed or whether she should play or not.
Just because some people are negative doesn't mean that Amari's glass isn't half full.

The whole WCBB world is watching Geno make his cioaching decisions & will being watching whether UConn can beat SCar.
Geno probably flips coins in hus spare time, damn if he plays her & damn if he doesn't,
We won't know until thre season is over & then there's always next year.
Off the wall, flip a coin. If you coached, you would know that any dedicated coach will tell you that they don't pick who plays. The players do. Yes, if a coach wants to win it's an easy process, If a player can help the team win, the coach will play that player. If Amari showed in practice that she could affect the outcome of a game in a positive way, you better believe she would be in the lineup. If the last 30+ years have shown us nothing else, it has shown that Geno wants to win and will play the players that will get the W's. There is no way that Geno is sabotaging the team by not playing Amari. As a coach of over 40 years I agree and side with Geno, Amari is getting the minutes she has earned. I wish it was different, I wish Amari was the answer to having that big who is a difference maker, Geno can't make that happen, only Amari can.

Reaction Score

They all have opinions about whether Amari's talent is needed & whether she should play or not.
Just because some people have negativity doesn't mean that Amari's glass isn't half full.

That's a half season away. Who cares today?

One game at at time. Beat Maryland. Don't worry about beating them by more or less than SCar. Don't even worry about beating SCar in the regular season. LSU couldn't do it but . . .

All that really matters is gelling by tournament time. I think Geno can manage that.

sun

Reaction Score

One game at at time. Beat Maryland. Don't worry about beating them by more or less than SCar. Don't even worry about beating SCar in the regular season. LSU couldn't do it but . . .

All that really matters is gelling by tournament time. I think Geno can manage that.
Amari & Ayanna both need to be prepared by the time that the SCar game is played.
They're not going to gel with the team & get enough experience overnight.
It's the same with Ice & every other newer player that may need to play a role.
Of course the whole WCBB world can predict the importance of that game.
It's also scheduled to be on ESPN & they're already selling half time commercials for it.
It's not worrying, it's about anticipating & predicting future events that can affect March Madness.
With such a deep bench, Geno should prepare the team for any possible unexpected circumstances.
That's his job & we're all watching how well he does it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team will get better .. I’m glad we don’t play SC until middle of the season if we was to play them this week we would be beat by 20 seeing the way they played against NC state .. coming from a person that doesn’t ever speak highly of SC that’s saying a lot ..Every game I’m waiting for Azzi to break out of her shell but at this point I don’t think it’s gonna happen .. great team mate but doesn’t have that basketball killer instinct she’s just probably a genuine good person outside of bball .. Geno will always be Geno but I’m starting to see other coaches one step ahead of him maybe he doesn’t want to evolve to todays game .. He recruits elite talent every year and hopefully this years freshman’s can develop into great players

Reaction Score

Well said. A lot can happen between then and now -- for UConn, SCar, and everyone else.

Reaction Score
The number of threads that turn into Amari threads per minute played is astounding. My observation of Amari is that she lacks basketball instincts and has to think about each and every move. This could be the result of dominating at all levels prior to college because of her height and skills. She never really learned how to react instinctively to plays. I am not sure how easy that is to learn once in college.

Amari is a great teammate and seems to be a wonderful person. I hope she is enjoying her time at UConn regardless of the minutes she plays. I do realize we all hope that sometime soon she puts it all together and becomes the player we want her to be.

Reaction Score
I remember when Ayanna committed people on the message board were talking about how many dunks she would get in the game. I think Ayanna was ring too high coming out of high school. she was just too big and strong at the high school level. she cannot do that at the college level. this is a second year in the program let’s see if she steps up her game.
She had a knee injury all last season that limited her athletically.

sun

Reaction Score
Simply she is not a good basketball player.
Maybe there's something in the water at UConn that makes players regress after high school.
There's Azzi, Amari, Ayanna, who else, Ice, Aubrey, Evina, Liv & Mir?
This video shows that Amari had BB instincts in high school.
Perhaps some folks like to exaggerate about what they don't know all of the details about.
Maybe some players lose their some of thei skills if they don't use them enough over time.
Mir talked about that after transferring to Virgina, she said that it took her weeks of playing to regain her rhythym.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Amari is not of this level. She is a wonderful teammate, but not a good player. She still loses the ball too easily and has zero confidence. I felt the same as you for her first three years ( let her play, etc ). I no longer believe she can do anything other than garbage time. I wish it were different. But it isn't.

Reaction Score

How exactly does putting Amari in the rotation help this team ? Sorry but it isn't happening.

Reaction Score
This team will get better .. I’m glad we don’t play SC until middle of the season if we was to play them this week we would be beat by 20 seeing the way they played against NC state .. coming from a person that doesn’t ever speak highly of SC that’s saying a lot ..Every game I’m waiting for Azzi to break out of her shell but at this point I don’t think it’s gonna happen .. great team mate but doesn’t have that basketball killer instinct she’s just probably a genuine good person outside of bball .. Geno will always be Geno but I’m starting to see other coaches one step ahead of him maybe he doesn’t want to evolve to todays game .. He recruits elite talent every year and hopefully this years freshman’s can develop into great players
You are touching on same valid and concerning points. I am the same with AZZI. I expected her to be sublime and she is simply a good player. There are 50 Division 1 players who hit threes as well ( or better ) in game competition. I, too, have a fear that Geno is stuck being Geno of yesteryear. Maybe that is a natural reaction for coaches that have been at one place so long, and have had such unprecedented success. But we aren't getting " the number 1 player" in the nation anymore. We aren't successful in recruiting any top talent other than guards. We have had to reach out internationally ( or to the portal ) to complete our rosters. Last year, two of our most productive players came from the portal . When I see a line-up of Caroline, Azzi, Paige, Edwards and Muhl....and see them rotated pretty much our starters have always been rotated. ( play all first quarter; play all third quarter and most of fourth )...I see the same UCONN. It is hard to argue with this because they are great players. And no one argues that Geno isn't a great coach. But the same formula may not work. No formula may work. The WBB world had grown around us and , in some cases, speeded by UCONN. I will be shocked ( and pleased beyond all measure ) if we end the year ahead of South Carolina Colorado, LSU, Stanford and a handful of others ( including NC State ). We'll see. For that to happen AZZI has to become regular, unstoppable star. Paige and Edwards already are. And maybe Ice Brady needs to jump into that pool.

Reaction Score
How exactly does putting Amari in the rotation help this team ? Sorry but it isn't happening.
If you’re directing that question to me, I didn’t say to put her in the rotation. I said I’d like to see her in the rotation because it would mean she’d put in the effort in practice to convince Geno she could contribute in games. If that turned out to be the case, then we’d have an effective 6’6” post player in our rotation. Are you seriously suggesting this would not help the team???

Reaction Score
Gadzooks !! Talk about hope springing eternal.

Reaction Score
If you’re directing that question to me, I didn’t say to put her in the rotation. I said I’d like to see her in the rotation because it would mean she’d put in the effort in practice to convince Geno she could contribute in games. If that turned out to be the case, then we’d have an effective 6’6” post player in our rotation. Are you seriously suggesting this would not help the team???
That's exactly what I'm saying. Amari seems to be a great teammate, but she has not shown to be a factor on the court during her time at UConn.

Reaction Score
What we want, what we hope for, and what we get are sometimes completely different things. While I sometimes criticize Geno for his attitude and. (and he will be the first to admit this), short temper, I will always applaud him for his honesty. When he recruits them he is Geno, when he gets them on the floor for practice he is Geno. Every recruit coming in is told what to expect. If they think that what he is telling them is just some concoction, then that's on them. The players all know what is expected of them when they step on the floor whether it be for practice or the game itself and if they are no ready, willing and able to meet those expectations then they have to bear the responsibility of sitting on the bench. And this has been the case for every player I can think of from Day One.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom