Ayanna’s turn to get her own thread | The Boneyard

Ayanna’s turn to get her own thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She's making good progress...!

Now a few more "up fakes" after grabbing those offensive rebounds Ayanna...:):)
Up fakes are not enough. The baseline jumper helps, but what would help more offensively is if she had any type of double move or any drop step. Defensively though she starting to get an idea.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Up fakes are not enough. The baseline jumper helps, but what would help more offensively is if she had any type of double move or any drop step. Defensively though she starting to get an idea.
I've been having a blast watching Ayanna. My one suggestion (and we've seen this with Mir too) is that she doesn't have to go back up immediately with every offensive rebound. Sometimes when you're in among the trees, even if you're a tree yourself, the best course of action is to pass the ball out to a guard.

Reaction Score
Nice models. But if I were Ayanna I would sit at the feet of Morgan Tuck whose head, shoulder fakes, and drop steps were immaculate.
As much as I love to keep it in the UConn family, she might look at WNBA and former Stanford star Nneka Ogwumike. Both Ogwumike sisters have some pretty impressive athleticism and used their speed and leaping abilities to rebound and build their offensive games.

Gabby might also be a good player to watch since she also translated her hyper-athletic abilities into a very impressive basketball skill set.

In any case, the development of Patterson is going to be exciting to watch! We’re lucky she chose UConn!

Reaction Score
If she can make the baseline jumper consistently, it will make whoever is guarding her vulnerable to pump fakes as they will have to respect her ability to hit that shot. Once the defender bites on that, her options to drive for a layout and/or get fouled go up significantly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If she can make the baseline jumper consistently, it will make whoever is guarding her vulnerable to pump fakes as they will have to respect her ability to hit that shot. Once the defender bites on that, her options to drive for a layout and/or get fouled go up significantly.
Pump fake, drive to the hoop, and dunk the damn ball! :D

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ayanna is getting it. Slowly but surely. I would expect her all around game will continue to improve as we move into league play.

That baseline pull up jumper is a nasty weapon to have. It's a matter of confidence. More to come from this talented young lady.

Reaction Score
Yes! Ayanna and her skill development over the course of her four years at UConn is going to be special. Like others have said, she is adjusting and getting the feel of the college game better each moment, she is on the floor. Once she can get consistent minutes, she is going to be the game changer. Her size, power, leaping ability, & her quickness. She is going to be a game changer for sure.

Reaction Score
JordyG! --your post games analysis are typically enlightening.

I do believe, A Freshman, has a lot of Learning to do. Especially under GENO, a very specific, demanding, defense first coach.

She, for a 2 game freshman has moved from watching to PLAYING the game she knows. Until she learns the Geno Offense and Defense, I'd be happy if she didn't worry too much about anything and play the game she knows. Ayanna, came to Uconn as a leaping, scoring, undersized post that scored well,--do that and Uconn wins big.

I await your post game analysis, especially the Fla Defense schemes.

Reaction Score
Nice models. But if I were Ayanna I would sit at the feet of Morgan Tuck whose head, shoulder fakes, and drop steps were immaculate.
I would say that Morgan Tuck was MY favorite. But truth says,: She was EVERYONE's (Uconn fans) favorite.
She was extremely effective. A good role model for Ayanna.

Shea Ralph, wasn't a post, probably thought of as a guard, but the IMAGE I take in my brain of her is ---A pack under the boards all trying to rebound ---up through that pack comes SHEA, and she scored!! Pretty fair role model too.

What I'd like for Ayanna is for her to use---AYANNA as her role model. She has skills many others don't have, She has no issues "mixing it up". She has shown she CAN score.
What she lacks, she shall achieve, the teaching of CD and Geno, guidance from Dorka, Edwards, and EXPERIENCE of Div one is now in her current and future Uconn life. What a lucky lady...

Reaction Score
She is getting “it”. And I think she will have it by March.Y
Your avatar, Donald Southerland,. His mother a world known Canadian Actress and his grand father a Canadian government high ranking minster
Is that because of the nut he played in one move or a tribute to Canadian Edwards?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
JordyG! --your post games analysis are typically enlightening.

I do believe, A Freshman, has a lot of Learning to do. Especially under GENO, a very specific, demanding, defense first coach.

She, for a 2 game freshman has moved from watching to PLAYING the game she knows. Until she learns the Geno Offense and Defense, I'd be happy if she didn't worry too much about anything and play the game she knows. Ayanna, came to Uconn as a leaping, scoring, undersized post that scored well,--do that and Uconn wins big.

I await your post game analysis, especially the Fla Defense schemes.
Geno has smartly given her a short assignment: play defense, rebound, get out on the break. The same instructions he gave AG when she came to UConn. What excites me about playing FState is for the first time since Nika went down he has the bodies to full court press (he couldn't do that against MD) which should help get them the TO's they need while reducing UConn's TO's. Both of these things, meaning the TO ratio, killed them against MD. What also hurt against MD was UConn's inability to push the ball up the court, which Nika lives for. All of this will get UConn easier and opportunistic baskets against FState.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom