Awkward feeling of being historic prohibitive favorite. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Awkward feeling of being historic prohibitive favorite.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
We're a wagon, and we have #shortbeds.

Reaction Score
Oats will have Bama playing loose and cranking up threes. Our ability to run them off the 3 point line and get the long rebounds on missed threes will be critical and limiting second chance points. Hard to imagine them being able to consistently defend our motion offense and attacking offense. Only thing that can stop Donovan from having a huge game is foul trouble.He's been playing with maturity and patience since BET.

This time of year you gotta have healthy respect for any opponent and I'm sure Danny has them focused on the immediate task at hand. Win the game and outhustle your opponent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If it's UConn v Purdue, beyond the players and coaches there's going to be a lot more pressure on Purdue to win, IMHO. UConn already has 5 NCs. They're coming from a league where the storyline is "No Respect", from the vomit rooms to the NCAA botching travel, and Hall getting passed over. Meanwhile Purdue has the 2x POY and the reputation of the entire B1G which hasn't won an NC in a generation. Those will be storylines all day Sunday and Monday, likely surpassing the "UConn Invitational" angle. Will the B1G choke again?

Reaction Score
Oats will have Bama playing loose and cranking up threes. Our ability to run them off the 3 point line and get the long rebounds on missed threes will be critical and limiting second chance points. Hard to imagine them being able to consistently defend our motion offense and attacking offense.

This time of year you gotta have healthy respect for any opponent and I'm sure Danny has them focused on the immediate task at hand. Win the game and outhustle your opponent.
If their missed 3s create long rebounds it's imperative UConn push the break and get open 3s, layups, or dunks off those as Alabama isn't very good at transition defense. By doing this it will also deliver the message to Alabama that there is a price to pay for those missed 3 pointers and it will add more pressure on each of their 3 pt attempts.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That was true a few years ago with Baylor and Gonzaga as well.

Thought it might finally be Gonzaga's year. Baylor made it clear pretty quickly that wasn't going to happen.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Pretty much my only fear from here on out. They’ve been letting A LOT go but who knows if/when they flip the switch.

Edey's going to go right at him. He's really good at drawing fouls. OTOH, DC has been good at staying in games. OTOOH, he ain't faced a 7'4" guy with skill.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I mean being the favorite in the final four is better than the alternative

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Edey's going to go right at him. He's really good at drawing fouls. OTOH, DC has been good at staying in games. OTOOH, he ain't faced a 7'4" guy with skill.
OTHOOOH, Clingan is more mobile and Edey has never faced anyone with that combination of size and mobility.

We are still doomed though. Let's beat Bama before we worry about Purdue.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think the difference is this team has been on a whole year's worth of domination.

Last year there was the great start, and the rise in the rankings. BE regular season was topsy turvy and the team didn't win either the regular season or conference tourney.

This season has been top-5 all year long, a historical domination in BE regular season, a BET tourney championship and an even greater run of domination through the NCAA. Plus, on its face, this year's FF is a tougher group of teams than last year's FF.
All true, and I continue to refocus myself not on the game or tournament's outcome, but instead on the opportunity to watch how the team plays and performs in each upcoming game.

Last year's thrill came most from feeling the, "Here it comes..." moment when defense would do something and flip the switch, and then WOW.

Oh how I want to see that some more, but I will stay present for whatever the game looks like. We've already seen so many different ways.

Reaction Score
OTHOOOH, Clingan is more mobile and Edey has never faced anyone with that combination of size and mobility.

We are still doomed though. Let's beat Bama before we worry about Purdue.
I think Sam can make edey gas out if on the floor together. Aside from making 3 fouls. I expect at least be offensive charge to be taken.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I came into this season with low expectations. Not because I didn't think we were any good but because we had literally just won a Natty and nearly all teams have a pullback after a championship year so I told myself nothing that happened this year could possibly be considered disappointing.

I love all the exposure and respect UConn is finally getting but the hype has reached a point that anything short of another championship will likely be seen as a failure and even if we win, many people will shrug their shoulders and say that's what they should have done. I don't like that aspect of it.

Hype & excitement are the the articulations of those who can sell sex better than nurture & bring forth love.

Even with all of our own competitive urges and human imperfections, we are a uniquely convened community that has been paying unsurpassed attention. It would make no sense to expect others to see or feel it as we do. We are not obligated to buy the hype & excitement angle.

This team is playing to best meet its already-formed ideal. May they play well. The rest will take care of itself. Let us bear witness. That is what we are here for.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If it's UConn Purdue that's how I view the game, I don't see it as a 50/50 matchup. If Clingan doesn't get taken out of the game by the refs I don't them hanging with us. Clingan can keep Edey somewhat in check even though Edey will still get his and then there's matchup problems for Purdue all over the court.
In a UConn-Purdue matchup I think the key will be preventing/harassing entry passes and preventing penetration by Smith. And it will help to have Clingan and Johnson run Edey up and down the court. It can be a long day if Edey gets position and receives it easily in the post over and over.

Not to get ahead of matters ... we still need to dispatch 'Bama.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Could DC front Edey? Does anyone front anymore?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hype & excitement are the the articulations of those who can sell sex better than nurture & bring forth love.

Even with all of our own competitive urges and human imperfections, we are a uniquely convened community that has been paying unsurpassed attention. It would make no sense to expect others to see or feel it as we do. We are not obligated to buy the hype & excitement angle.

This team is playing to best meet its already-formed ideal. May they play well. The rest will take care of itself. Let us bear witness. That is what we are here for.

Amen.

If I join your church, do I have to tithe?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Amen.

If I join your church, do I have to tithe?

Arguendo, I'll play...

Only if you want to, but it would be within the mission to identify & meet congregational needs in such a way that people would quite naturally desire & choose to provide tithe-like-ish™ support in order to benefit themselves, their loved ones, their co-congregants, the institution, the larger community, and, well, what the heck, to infinity and beyond.

Reaction Score
There should've been nothing shocking about UConn beating Duke in '99. That was the somewhat rare time Vegas got it completely wrong. They play that game 10 times and UConn wins 6 or 7 of them.
Isn't there that website where you can put matchups in and see what happens? I'd like to know if anyone can do this game and see what happens if they played 10 times.

Reaction Score
It’s very strange heading to the game today and thinking of us as favorites- I like the giant killer role better- feels more familiar/comfortable. Im used to UConn fans being the only ones who believe we will win. On a side note I have a feeling Purdue fans are going to be some of my least favorite in resent memory.
This is where knowing Geno could be helpful. He has a very much “you need to embrace it, not run from it” attitude about being the overdog. Few have been in that position more than he.

I would think Hurley and Geno have spoken about being the favorite, trying to repeat, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is where knowing Geno could be helpful. He has a very much “you need to embrace it, not run from it” attitude about being the overdog. Few have been in that position more than he.

Please move this to the women’s board.

Reaction Score

I ran one, ended up UConn 90 Purdue 88

But I'd ignore it, as I also got Alabama 92 UConn 72
Thanks. I was talking about UConn-Duke in 1999 since Deepster said UConn would have beaten Duke 6 or 7 times out of 10. So I ran the simulation 10 times on a neutral court. Here were the scores. Duke wins 9 out of 10 times and mostly in romps. Lol. Duke would never score that much in 10 tries. Yeah I don't think this POS simulation is very good!

Duke 102 UConn 77
Duke 84 UConn 64
Duke 94 UConn 84
Duke 97 UConn 71
UConn 95 Duke 91
Duke 113 UConn 83
Duke 92 UConn 83
Duke 89 UConn 68
Duke 99 UConn 70
Duke 92 UConn 77

Who developed this program? Dick Vitale?

Reaction Score
Thanks. I was talking about UConn-Duke in 1999 since Deepster said UConn would have beaten Duke 6 or 7 times out of 10. So I ran the simulation 10 times on a neutral court. Here were the scores. Duke wins 9 out of 10 times and mostly in romps. Lol. Duke would never score that much in 10 tries. Yeah I don't think this POS simulation is very good!

Duke 102 UConn 77
Duke 84 UConn 64
Duke 94 UConn 84
Duke 97 UConn 71
UConn 95 Duke 91
Duke 113 UConn 83
Duke 92 UConn 83
Duke 89 UConn 68
Duke 99 UConn 70
Duke 92 UConn 77

I said that?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Duke 102 UConn 77
Duke 84 UConn 64
Duke 94 UConn 84
Duke 97 UConn 71
UConn 95 Duke 91
Duke 113 UConn 83
Duke 92 UConn 83
Duke 89 UConn 68
Duke 99 UConn 70
Duke 92 UConn 77

That SIM is dead wrong, especially with the faster paced games going in Duke's favor.

The only advantage they had over us was that Brand was a quality low post scorer. In a pure halfcourt game, they could dump the ball to him and score more efficiently that we could doing the same. Beyond that, we had every advantage and to add to this, we would have surprised them with our speed and depth, both of which exceeded theirs but they were completely unaware of that.

I said to a number of people the day before & day of the game that if the game was played in the 60's, they'd be 4-5 points better than us, in the 70's, it would be a tossup, in the 80's, we'd be 4-5 points better than them and the more the pace increased, the more our advantage would.

I said before the final four that we'd beat Michigan State or Ohio State nine out of ten times and we'd beat Duke seven out of ten times. I will go to my grave convinced of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom