Avenging a UConn loss... | The Boneyard

Avenging a UConn loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although my introduction to UConn football is relatively new, I've really come to enjoy reading the comments from die hard, historically minded, and knowledgeable boneyarders. Especially as it pertains to UConn's win - loss record, I'd like to pose a question for discussion.

Which UConn loss would you like to avenge the most and why? It'd be helpful if you could mention when and where the loss took place, and anything else you might think of interest.

Reaction Score
Well, I'd like to go back to the Fiesta Bowl. But as far as ones that just don't sit right, I think as much as this board may claim it wants nothing to do with BC it would be fun to get back that loss at the Rent.

Reaction Score
My guiess is the vast majority will vote for the Rutgers game, 2009. There were a lot of other games one might mention (UNC at home; at NC State several years back; Vandy or ISU last year, etc.). However, the fact that it was the 1st home game after Jazz was murdered; the way that game turned in the fourth quarter, with us grabbing a lead in last minute; the long TD pass in the final moments to one of Jazz's best friend; was simply a deflating moment on too many levels. Most losses are hard to get over, but that game had too much raw emotion in it for the fanbase to really get over, particularly the way it ended.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would love to get back at Navy for that absolute shellacking they put on us in 2006. Easily the worst performance by our squad at the Rent.

Otherwise, Rutgers since they've had the upper hand over the past 5 or so years.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Any one of the three losses we had in '86 that caused us to finish 17th in the rankings...and just out of our first-ever 1AA playoff berth.

At the time, that really sucked out loud...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
My guiess is the vast majority will vote for the Rutgers game, 2009. There were a lot of other games one might mention (UNC at home; at NC State several years back; Vandy or ISU last year, etc.). However, the fact that it was the 1st home game after Jazz was murdered; the way that game turned in the fourth quarter, with us grabbing a lead in last minute; the long TD pass in the final moments to one of Jazz's best friend; was simply a deflating moment on too many levels. Most losses are hard to get over, but that game had too much raw emotion in it for the fanbase to really get over, particularly the way it ended.
This is always the first one that pops into my head. Probably because I was there and emotions were out of control. It was a deflating way to lose, getting the go ahead touchdown only to give up the long TD. But since we play them every year, I file that under the "I wish they could replay that game" category.

Michigan would be the team I want a second chance at. Beating them would be direct payback for the whooping they gave us.

Reaction Score
Every RU game and the Vandy, W Michigan and Iowa St games last year.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Both have been mentioned... Rutty in 09 and Michigan. Though it was darn nice to be able to keep Rutgers' trophy case empty this year.

Reaction Score
Although my introduction to UConn football is relatively new, I've really come to enjoy reading the comments from die hard, historically minded, and knowledgeable boneyarders. Especially as it pertains to UConn's win - loss record, I'd like to pose a question for discussion.

Which UConn loss would you like to avenge the most and why? It'd be helpful if you could mention when and where the loss took place, and anything else you might think of interest.

I'll start with the season opener vs. UMass......as revenge for UMass in 1999, a 60 point beat down that Randy Edsall's UConn squad took from a UMass team that had a certain Don Brown coaching their defense. It happens to be the next game on the schedule, so it's definitely most important for me right now, then we've got the road trip to Western Michigan a few weeks later. I'd love to spank them silly.

It's a different kind of loss, but there's also the road trip to Maryland in between.

Reaction Score
I've got 7. In order of preference:
Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl
Michigan
Miami when they were #1 in the nation
WVU '09 - first game after Jazz murder
RU '09 - first home game after Jazz murder
BC when Dan O played and we blew a lead late at BC.
VT - in the game when Caulley blew his knee out.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Given we've since beaten Rutgers I'd have to go with Michigan as well. For what it's worth, I don't think of it as avenging a loss however, more of a quest for redemption. That was an eminently winnable game and our team just didn't execute - that fumble from DJ still makes we wonder "what if..."

Reaction Score
UNC at home in '09. Any time you get a chance to beat a southern school, you gotta cash in. No way UConn wasn't the best team on the field that day. They just were the most timid. They stopped aggressively trying to put more points on the board (leading 10-0) and went to run, run, run. They also stopped being aggressive on defensive - bend, don't break, bend, don't break again, bend, come on guys let's stop breaking. And then . . . heck, let us score some points to help them along - overtime will be too taxing.

Other games?
2. Virginia '07
3. Rutgers '09
4. Oklahoma (Fiesta Bowl)
5. WVU '09
6. Wake Forest (Meineke)
7. Wake '06
8. Cincy '06
9. Georgia Southern ('98)
10. Delaward ('98)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Given we've since beaten Rutgers I'd have to go with Michigan as well. For what it's worth, I don't think of it as avenging a loss however, more of a quest for redemption. That was an eminently winnable game and our team just didn't execute - that fumble from DJ still makes we wonder "what if..."

Agreed. It was of course Denard Robinson's coming out party, so we didn' have a lot of info on the kid prior to the game (I think he wasn't named the starter until the fall, if I'm not mistaken). Still, the fumble was huge, and I felt that this was a game that, if we had won, would have solidified a great deal of respect not only for us as a program but for the Big East in general. There were unusually high expectations for UConn nationally that year, and the evidence of that was a record-breaking Michigan home attendance in the stands and a lot of media hype leading up to the game.

Man, I want that one back!!

Reaction Score
BC when Dan O played and we blew a lead late at BC.

I assume you mean the August 2002 game. BC won 24-16. UConn lead at halftime 16-10. BC took the second half kickoff and went 78 yards in two plays and then got a touchdown with 4 minutes left to ice the game.

Reaction Score
I assume you mean the August 2002 game. BC won 24-16. UConn lead at halftime 16-10. BC took the second half kickoff and went 78 yards in two plays and then got a touchdown with 4 minutes left to ice the game.
Why are you even on this board? There are BCU boards available with like minded folks.

Reaction Score
That's the one. I knew UConn was leading in 2nd half, and had the ball to potentially tie the game in the final few minutes, but obviously did not.

Reaction Score
Why are you even on this board? There are BCU boards available with like minded folks.

Have you ever been to a BC board? They are gross. Some of the most detestable disgusting s you can find east of Piscataway. I don't blame him for coming here. Soar losers over there in Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
Given that we finally shellacked Rutgers pretty good last year, I'd throw in my vote for Michigan and/or UNC. Though UNC appears to have avenged themselves.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

beating Iowa State this year for beating us in Football in the fall

Reaction Score
UConn was in it's 2nd year of D-1 and wasn't even in the Big East yet. That game is nothing for bcu to hang their hats on.
I'd love to get bcu now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01