August UConn recruiting thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

August UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Would we really be chasing a player who committed to NWFS? Asking for a friend.
People usually go the JUCO route to 1. Get their grade up to NCAA requirements 2. Gain exposure. Foreign players or those from small high schools/lesser known AAU programs often go this route.

UConn has taken three JUCOs that I remember right away - Rita Williams, Tihana Abrlic, and Rashidat Sadiq. There was a fourth, Gillian Goring who switched to Iowa but eventually quit basketball

Reaction Score
People usually go the JUCO route to 1. Get their grade up to NCAA requirements 2. Gain exposure. Foreign players or those from small high schools/lesser known AAU programs often go this route.

UConn has taken three JUCOs that I remember right away - Rita Williams, Tihana Abrlic, and Rashidat Sadiq. There was a fourth, Gillian Goring who switched to Iowa but eventually quit basketball
Thanks Nan. I had no idea.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Not that i believe . ND and UNC are the front runners. Tennessee is in the mix but she never visited them so to have them as her finalist is kind of we

Not that i believe . ND and UNC are the front runners. Tennessee is in the mix but she never visited them so to have them as her finalist is kind of weird.
I'm confident I give us a shot.

Reaction Score

If I remember correctly, Rita was comited to UConn but the staff wanted her to do a JUCO year to become a better student. Rizzoti may have also been a SR that season

Reaction Score
Found a full game. Those are often more telling than a highlight reel.

Having said that, from the highlights Bettancourt seems to be a scrappy player with decent defense and an ability to play through contact. Not sure about the ball handling but highlights seem to focus more on scoring. I’d be interested to see how that funky looking shot does against DI defenses.

I watched the first quarter. Ines is not the primary ball handler. She moves without the ball and makes
her foul shots. She usually makes good passes, a few ugly misses on passes (her fault). She
was never substituted, so she seems like a primary member of this " Sportiva " team. Her number
is # 8 and she is 5' 9" and her birthday is September 29, 2004. During the U 18 European
Championships B level she averaged 14 + ppg 3.7 rebounds per game and 3.6 assists per game.
Ines Bettencourt's " efficiency" rating was 16.3 (which in my limited understanding is just
above average.) So, IMO a good player, but I would have to see her against better opponent's
than provided in this interesting game clip. Thanks for the link!

Reaction Score
I watched the first quarter. Ines is not the primary ball handler. She moves without the ball and makes
her foul shots. She usually makes good passes, a few ugly misses on passes (her fault). She
was never substituted, so she seems like a primary member of this " Sportiva " team. Her number
is # 8 and she is 5' 9" and her birthday is September 29, 2004. During the U 18 European
Championships B level she averaged 14 + ppg 3.7 rebounds per game and 3.6 assists per game.
Ines Bettencourt's " efficiency" rating was 16.3 (which in my limited understanding is just
above average.) So, IMO a good player, but I would have to see her against better opponent's
than provided in this interesting game clip. Thanks for the link!
5'9 ? So its not a big ? :(

Reaction Score
5'9 ? So its not a big ? :(
While we are looking for 2023 and 2024 big candidates, and may have scouted some good foreign prospects, the immediate urgent need was looking at the foreign under 18 participants to find a guard who could make a quick decision to come to the states and start classes in a week or so.

Paige's injury created the need. We only have 4 guards for 3 positions now. The 2022 US recruits have picked their schools, and the good prospects from the transfer portal had already decided by the time Paige got injured, so the only remaining options were walk-ons, or a last second search for a foreign player who could come right now and be eligible this year. That is what this player represents, trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the 11th hour.

Geno's search for a big in the next couple of recruiting classes continues and this decision doesn't affect that. I'm sure they took a look at foreign bigs for future reference as well, and the one from Egypt looks like she is very good, but with many suitors.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
New Morgan Valley follow
ABE715CC-3BCF-426B-B982-3A5FF6096242.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads