Auburn board talking about SEC rumor... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Auburn board talking about SEC rumor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pretty obvious they did something that UConn didn't do now isn't it?

No one like the downtrodden woe is me that you're spewing everywhere. Piss off. You're so far gone it isn't even "our" team anymore, you're calling it "your" team. Go cheer for Rutgirls, clearly they did what WE didn't. So go figure out what "your" team is and ill keep pulling for this one, no matter what.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Yeah, they bought real estate in New Jersey.

But please, go on with your self-indulgent preaching about dues and other blather.

Reaction Score
It was probably their multiple BE football titles, BCS appearance, multiple MBB and WBB national titles, and the fact that they're good at almost every sport they play......wait, no, I was confusing them with someone else.

Or, could be location, location, location.

Reaction Score
After spending 3 days in a hotel of all South Carolina fans, I would have to say the band playing this in Birmingham was one of my happiest moments as a husky fan

You were the other Husky in that hotel? Was a great place to be after a nice win.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Weyuo is getting torn apart here, lol.

Come on guys all we need is a century of winning and maybe 5 National Titles!

Reaction Score

When you are played that badly., have the decency to shut up and walk away instead of pointlessly trying to fight back.

Reaction Score
When you are played that badly., have the decency to shut up and walk away instead of pointlessly trying to fight back.
There are some people who don't know that having a strong personality and being good at things doesn't mean success. Nothing can ever be luck...ever.*

Rutgers is the prime example of right time, right place. They've got a ton going for them that they did not earn, themselves.

*EDIT: After I posted I realized that this could be taken out to say something political. I'm really not trying to--I was really trying to keep this to people's irrational, to me, criticisms of some of the UConn leadership, and their suggestion that if Herbst just tried hard harder, we'd be in the ACC. I almost deleted it because of that--so please don't take it someplace I really didn't want to take it...

Reaction Score
Sept. 13, 1996

BOT minutes:

Item B, #3.

3. President Hartley then called upon Trustee Saslow, Chairman of the Athletic
Policy Committee and a member of the President's Advisory Committee on Athletics. Mr. Saslow reported that the committee had reviewed the
Implementation Plan for the Upgrade of the University of Connecticut
Football Program to Division IA Status, heard the presentation of Roy
Kramer, Commissioner of the Southeastern Conference, and voted to approve
the plan.

That noted, UConn isn't going to the SEC. But people a long time ago, football people, in this country, recognized the potential of UConn. We've been completely mismanaged both at the university level and conference level since the mid 1990s, and that's why we are we're at now.

The only thing now, is to take what we've managed to build, which is nothing to poo-poo, and recruit like hell, and go out and win. We have to win now. I'd have it no other way.

Reaction Score
No. But don't think your gonna put a mediocre football product out there for a decade or so and try and call in some lame chips like "well we are 30th in the TV market".

Why can't we do that? It worked for Rutgers with the exception being that they put out a bad to mediocre football product out there for over TEN DECADES

Reaction Score
I get it with Rutgers and NJ. But, there is something to the fact that Rutgers and Louisville landed the spots we desperately wanted. Was much of that beyond UCONN's control? Yes. Was all of it beyond UCONN's control? No. It is my sincere hope that Herbst and Manuel are seriously analyzing those questions and doing everything they can to addess the issues that they can control to get us out of this mess as soon as possible.

I have serious reservations that UCONN officials lobbied as hard and as long as they needed to to position us better than we were with Louisville. I have no first hand knowledge, but I suspect we may have been a little complacent regarding our position versus Louisville. Maybe not.....

Reaction Score
I get it with Rutgers and NJ. But, there is something to the fact that Rutgers and Louisville landed the spots we desperately wanted. Was much of that beyond UCONN's control? Yes. Was all of it beyond UCONN's control? No. It is my sincere hope that Herbst and Manuel are seriously analyzing those questions and doing everything they can to addess the issues that they can control to get us out of this mess as soon as possible.

I have serious reservations that UCONN officials lobbied as hard and as long as they needed to to position us better than we were with Louisville. I have no first hand knowledge, but I suspect we may have been a little complacent regarding our position versus Louisville. Maybe not.....

Louisville was the team FSU wanted. UConn was the team Tobacco Road wanted. FSU hates Tobacco Road. FSU threatened not only Tobacco Road but the entire ACC. FSU won!

Reaction Score
You were the other Husky in that hotel? Was a great place to be after a nice win.

We stayed in the same hotel as the SC marching band ( they used all the hot water). The SC fans there were nice but a bit condescending. At breakfast, the next AM they were a bit shell shocked but still nice.

Reaction Score
Louisville was the team FSU wanted. UConn was the team Tobacco Road wanted. FSU hates Tobacco Road. FSU threatened not only Tobacco Road but the entire ACC. FSU won!

This.

Majority on this board wants to just say "SH and WM are morons and they were on vacation instead of lobbying for UConn" Maybe instead of complaining everyone needs to step back and think about what happened. The ACC is in a precarious position trying to compete with B1G, SEC and a smaller extent BIG 12 to keep the current ACC teams committed. We all know that CR is not over and more things are going to happen. Could it be possible that the ACC needed to bring in a perceived football school to keep their current football powers happy? IMO...this is exactly what happened. FSU/Clemson/Va Tech/NC St, etc have all the power in the ACC due to the importance of football. ACC did what they had to in order to please these schools to keep them on board.

Reaction Score
Herbst inherited an athletic conference mess, that began a long, long time ago. Manuel, came on the job, last March, after the conference had gone well past, YEARS past, the point of no return. There is plenty of blame to throw around for where UCONN is at. It's most often, the case, in situations like that, where things have gone so wrong, for so long, regardless of scale or subject matter, that the most valueable way to identify the problem, is to realize that you, yourself is responsible.

ANd that indeed, is the case. Roy Kramer, commissioner of the SEC, the leader of the reorganization of the NCAA in the early 1990s around the bowl alliances, and indirectly, the creator of the Big East football conference himself, made it crystal clear, in 1996, to the presidential advisory committee on athletics, which was reviewing a report titled "Implementation Plan for the Upgrade of the University of Connecticut Football program to 1-A Status", a report in which Kramer was a subject for interview, a consultant and a writing contributor......Kramer made it crystal clear....

His report involved the following: UCONN holds a large number of similarities to SEC schools, and that the future secruity and health of the UConn football program, would be directly realted to our ability to maintain membership with a conference similar schools with similar athletic missions. He cautioned strongly against the future of the Big East - in 1996.

THe trouble with the Big East conference, began very soon after the very first actual big east football season in 1992. At the end of 1993, going into 1994 - Virginia Tech wanted full membership in the big east. THey were voted down. Notre Dame was having similar problems to Virginia Tech, at the time, in scheduling for all sports (after the realigment in the early 90s, and disappearance of some 28 different 1-A independant athletic departments, that Kramer had orchestrated by the early 1990s), and less than a week after Virgina Tech was denied full membership by the Big EAst membership, Tranghese was on the phone wiht the then AD at Notre Dame, and extended them an invite - the olive branch, to join the conference in everythign BUT football. The basketball membership quickly voted, and in 1995, Notre Dame was a member, while VTech, and others will still football only. Basketball schools, telling the football schools they don't matter, just like they did a decade earlier with Penn STate.

In the meantime, while UConn began winning championship after championship in men's and women's hoops, and were extended the invite to upgrade by the conference, and jerked that around for a few years, every other football program was already working on finding a way out of the conference, and when in 2003, somethign realistic could have been done, to preserve a northeastern league that we would have liked to be part of, UConn leadership sat quietly with their thumbs up their butts instead of aligning right away,vocally and adamantly, with the likes of Syracuse, Miami, BC, PItt, VTech, West Virginia and Rutgers.

I feel like kicking Temple out again, just because, it all makes me angry. Basketball, does not rule the roost. Basketball in big cities, on the east coast - is big time sports, and big business, and we need to remain part of that, and play round ball in teh big cities, but it does not rule intercollegiate athletics, football does, and always will, and it is the failure of uconn leadership for 16 years, that is the reason we find ourselves where we are now - only ourselves to blame for being the last ones without a ticket to leave. Fans too, too many basketball people around here, that don't understand football. Good lord when I think about what fans didn't know would happen when Teggart hit that kick against USF.

UCONN is at fault, for not recognizing that, and Herbst and Manuel, in my opinion, are the very first leaders, since the BOT officially approved the upgrade in 1997, that do get it. THey were left with a tty hand to play.

So study your history, and learn from it.

Here is the 186 page document that was presented to the UCONN BOT in 1997 and was agreed upon to move forward with, after all the feasibility and analysis that was done in the previous years. You can own your own hardbound copy.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Analysis_for_the_University_of_Connectic.html?id=fh9DHAAACAAJ

Reaction Score
Shoutout to Carl Spackler for his special cameo appearance . So glad he came in to rescue me from the second post in this thread. I knew it was one of the sec commissioners that spoke and compared them to sec schools.

Reaction Score
This.

Majority on this board wants to just say "SH and WM are morons and they were on vacation instead of lobbying for UConn" Maybe instead of complaining everyone needs to step back and think about what happened. The ACC is in a precarious position trying to compete with B1G, SEC and a smaller extent BIG 12 to keep the current ACC teams committed. We all know that CR is not over and more things are going to happen. Could it be possible that the ACC needed to bring in a perceived football school to keep their current football powers happy? IMO...this is exactly what happened. FSU/Clemson/Va Tech/NC St, etc have all the power in the ACC due to the importance of football. ACC did what they had to in order to please these schools to keep them on board.

It's actually quite possible that both arguments are true. They don't directly conflict with eachother.

Isn't that novel?

images

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We stayed in the same hotel as the SC marching band ( they used all the hot water). The SC fans there were nice but a bit condescending. At breakfast, the next AM they were a bit shell shocked but still nice.
Were they still condescending after the loss? Or did they think Sherman burned down Columbia again?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was actually thinking if we went to the SEC, we'd be renamed the "UConn Yankees" by the SEC.
How about we rename ourselves the "UCONN Carpetbaggers"? We can ride into town and leave with their finest women and conference titles? Works for me.

Reaction Score
I went to join and UConn wasn't even one of the "your team" options.

Reaction Score
You put in the same sweat equity that the Alabama's & the Auburn's & the Ohio St's have put in over the last century. What did you guys think was going to happen when UConn went D-1? We were gonna recruit 5 or 6 guys, win a conference tourney and go to the big dance? Sorry guys but putting in your dues in college football is a lot more involved than it is in basketball. You have to earn respect in a sport that has been around longer than basketball.
So BCU told us.

C

Chief00

I think Auburn supports our admission, an Auburn source was where I first heard it from last autumn. Less certain about GA - Ms Herbst was not Miss Popularity there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom